Discuss: Not-So Early Signing Period/Spring Officials

5,947 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by java
chrismcc7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
http://irishsportsdaily.com/s/1673/discuss-not-so-early-signing-period-spring-official-visits
chrismcc7
Staff
The spring official visits proposal is bigger than the December signing period in my opinion.

I've always said they needed to let these kids get out and visit schools early given how much the process has accelerated in recent years. I'd actually like to see kids take officials in the fall of their junior years in order to get a look at the game day atmospheres, but this is a start.
novairish
The June date never made sense, as it's before kids can even camp at schools they're interested in. There should be an August date before kids senior seasons so they can play without fear of losing a scholarship to an injury, and then the normal one in February. I don't know how this hasn't been adopted. It's common sense.

The December date doesn't really seem to help anyone. It's only two months before the normal date, and it's in the middle of silly season/bowl prep. You really want kids being pressured to sign when there is still coaching musical chairs going on? Most kids will just bypass the December date unless they're an early enrollee, and the February date gets cheapened by having another one so close. You'll see more and more kids just refuse to sign at all and show up at a school.

So, terrible job by the coaches, per usual. I'm guessing they didn't want August date as it's while they're preparing for the season... and a July date would mean them having to grind harder than usual on the trail over the summer... but it's what would be best for student athletes... not that the NCAA has ever cared about that.
chrismcc7
Staff
novairish said:

The June date never made sense, as it's before kids can even camp at schools they're interested in. There should be an August date before kids senior seasons so they can play without fear of losing a scholarship to an injury, and then the normal one in February. I don't know how this hasn't been adopted. It's common sense.

The December date doesn't really seem to help anyone. It's only two months before the normal date, and it's in the middle of silly season/bowl prep. You really want kids being pressured to sign when there is still coaching musical chairs going on? Most kids will just bypass the December date unless they're an early enrollee, and the February date gets cheapened by having another one so close. You'll see more and more kids just refuse to sign at all and show up at a school.

So, terrible job by the coaches, per usual. I'm guessing they didn't want August date as it's while they're preparing for the season... and a July date would mean them having to grind harder than usual on the trail over the summer... but it's what would be best for student athletes... not that the NCAA has ever cared about that.
Agree on December. That seems like the worst possible time.

The only benefit is to give schools a chance to know who's actually in.

For instance, Paulson Adebo. He'd been saying he was in all along, but if December comes and he doesn't sign, then ND knows there's something up, but what would that give them an extra week or two based on what happened anyway?
java
Recruiting needs a huge overhaul. I have never understood all of the insane rules.
- Let kids take their official visit whenever they want.
- Let kids sign when they want. Why have a signing period at all.
- Let kids out of their LOI if the HC, their coordinator or position coach leaves.
- Let schools move a signed kid from athletic scholarship to other scholarship if he has a major injury during season
- No contact in any form, from other schools once a kid signs.

chrismcc7
Staff
java said:

Recruiting needs a huge overhaul. I have never understood all of the insane rules.
- Let kids out of their LOI if the HC, their coordinator or position coach leaves.
- Let schools move a signed kid from athletic scholarship to other scholarship if he has a major injury during season

All that probably makes too much sense.
NDLaw2me
chrismcc7 said:

The spring official visits proposal is bigger than the December signing period in my opinion.

I've always said they needed to let these kids get out and visit schools early given how much the process has accelerated in recent years. I'd actually like to see kids take officials in the fall of their junior years in order to get a look at the game day atmospheres, but this is a start.
Chris - I'm guessing that official visits during a prospect's junior year still count towards 1 of the 5 official visits? I get that you want to get a recruit on campus early, but as you and others have pointed out, they are missing out on the game-day atmosphere.
chrismcc7
Staff
NDLaw2me said:

chrismcc7 said:

Chris - I'm guessing that official visits during a prospect's junior year still count towards 1 of the 5 official visits? I get that you want to get a recruit on campus early, but as you and others have pointed out, they are missing out on the game-day atmosphere.
Yes. I would assume they would still count as one of the five.
JDAtlanta
chrismcc7 said:

java said:

All that probably makes too much sense.
And would take the control away from the NCAA.
irishkg07
Seem to echo everyone in that the Spring officials has more influence than anything. But I don't think it matters much when you start allowing kids to sign. I saw some comments that it was dumb to have it during bowl season, but what does it matter? There's no pressure to sign at that time. It just allows kids that are fully committed to sign a little earlier. You'll still see the same ordeal with big names holding out to sign until later. Sure it will probably take a little pizzazz out of the NATIONAL SIGNING DAY production, but I'm fine with that. These kids are getting too much of a stage as it is.

Personally I think a kid should be able to sign whenever he wants once he's hit his Senior year. Sure there will be those that bring up the concern that there would be kids locked into decisions that they made too quickly by allowing them to sign too soon, but they've got to grow up at some point and recognize it's a serious deal and their future. If they want to be stars, be on ESPN, host commitment ceremonies, etc...then they need to accept the responsibilities that comes with it. Grow up, put thought into your decision and be fully committed when you sign the paper. Kids are allowed to sign contracts to join the military anytime during their Senior year... but I'm getting off track...

Signing Day a little earlier won't change a whole lot but it's certainly not a bad thing. It makes sense that kids should be able to sign before January considering that they can be eligible to enroll early. It's a good thing, I just don't think it's going to be that impactful other than helping coaching staffs out. Makes the final stretch easier when you know who you've definitely got and who is still technically still on the market. Allows you to move on instead of courting an entire class of recruits right up until the last second.
amartinuzzi
The December date helps coaches -- think of all the "recruiting" our coaches are still doing of guys like Kmet who've been committed forever. Really, any early NLI signing dates help coaches the most, but recruits do get the benefit of being "off the market" and, hopefully, pestered less by other competing recruiters.
Mike Frank
Staff
I'd still like to see an August signing date. I think June is too early, but one right before their senior season really makes a lot of sense. I doubt it will pass as the teams in the South don't want it.

The BEST potential rule change would be early official visits. If ND can have official visits in the spring, that would level the playing field quite a bit.

Mike
java
Mike Frank said:

I'd still like to see an August signing date. I think June is too early, but one right before their senior season really makes a lot of sense. I doubt it will pass as the teams in the South don't want it.

The BEST potential rule change would be early official visits. If ND can have official visits in the spring, that would level the playing field quite a bit.

Mike
Honestly, what is the point of having a signing period. I cannot think of a reason why a kid couldn't visit when they want and sign when they want.. as soon as they start their Sr. year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.