Rating Class of 2017

2,944 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dross4
ejsjr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In Power Hour you guys generally rated the ND recruits as a C, C+ or maybe a B-. But the class was rated #13 in the nation. How do you reconcile the two? Do you disagree with the national rating and think it should be much lower (or higher), or do you just have extremely high expectations for ND recruiting and think they should have hauled in a Top 10 or better class?
mattfreeman
Staff
They didn't get one cornerback in the class. They needed to get at least one. They had three of the nation's best cornerbacks committed at one point, so losing all three is a huge loss.

Notre Dame didn't land a game changer at WR. Michael Young and Jafar Armstrong are good players, but they didn't land an Equanimeous St. Brown, Chase Claypool or even a Javon McKinley type.

Notre Dame did well on the defensive line, but not a day one impact guy. Darnell Ewell and Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa could very well see the field next year, but it will be a year too early for both players.

Notre Dame also didn't land an elite pass rusher. Kofi Wardlow is a huge project. High ceiling, but a low floor.

Drew White is going to be a good football player in the long-term, but he could also easily be over recruited in the next two cycles. David Adams is a good player in the box, but has some concerns sideline to sideline and then is coming off labrum surgery.

You can make numbers into what you want and that's what other sites are going to do to drive hits. Notre Dame recruiting and getting top recruits drives the market. Not to say that Notre Dame ended up with a bad class, but there is only one guy in the class that will be ready to go day one and that's Brock Wright.
Dross4
mattfreeman said:

They didn't get one cornerback in the class. They needed to get at least one. They had three of the nation's best cornerbacks committed at one point, so losing all three is a huge loss.

Notre Dame didn't land a game changer at WR. Michael Young and Jafar Armstrong are good players, but they didn't land an Equanimeous St. Brown, Chase Claypool or even a Javon McKinley type.

Notre Dame did well on the defensive line, but not a day one impact guy. Darnell Ewell and Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa could very well see the field next year, but it will be a year too early for both players.

Notre Dame also didn't land an elite pass rusher. Kofi Wardlow is a huge project. High ceiling, but a low floor.

Drew White is going to be a good football player in the long-term, but he could also easily be over recruited in the next two cycles. David Adams is a good player in the box, but has some concerns sideline to sideline and then is coming off labrum surgery.

You can make numbers into what you want and that's what other sites are going to do to drive hits. Notre Dame recruiting and getting top recruits drives the market. Not to say that Notre Dame ended up with a bad class, but there is only one guy in the class that will be ready to go day one and that's Brock Wright.
Matt, I think your assessment of this class is spot on. I agree with your major point that there is only one immediate impact player in this class, Brock Wright, and that is an issue. Ideally, Notre Dame needs to land those immediate impact guys on defense moving forward. I will say, however, that I am a huge Michael Young fan. I think this kid is going to be electric. He doesn't have the size of a Equanimeous St. Brown or a Chase Claypool but he plays with a ton of toughness. His route running will need some work, but he is a burner with good hands and a willingness to block on the perimeter. I think he could be a star in the slot for the Irish in the future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.