Okay....So what players on the roster are ideal Rovers?

5,121 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ratdiggler
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tranquil, I assume is option #1?
jamie uyeyama
Staff
subalum75 said:

Tranquil, I assume is option #1?
He would be at the top of my list. It's tough to say who will be ideal for it, but the candidates to potentially play there in my opinion are Tranquill, DJ Morgan, Spencer Perry, Asmar Bilal, and out of the recruits coming in Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Jordan Genmark-Heath

Obviously not all of those guys will play there, but those are the options that I see on the roster
Dross4
I agree with how you see Tranquill, Morgan, Perry, Owusu-Koramoah and Genmark-Heath fitting into that role, they seem like no-brainers to be candidates for that position. But what about Asmar Bilal's game makes him a fit for that position to you? I just assumed he would play Buck in this defense.
jamie uyeyama
Staff
Dross4 said:

I agree with how you see Tranquill, Morgan, Perry, Owusu-Koramoah and Genmark-Heath fitting into that role, they seem like no-brainers to be candidates for that position. But what about Asmar Bilal's game makes him a fit for that position to you? I just assumed he would play Buck in this defense.
He very well could play Buck. I almost expect him to be there, but I could see Rover as well for different reasons.

For one, I think he could end up being one of the three best linebackers on the team. And if he can't beat out someone at Buck, then get an athlete like him on the field that can blitz and cover at Rover. The best 11 should play in my opinion and if he is one of them, get him on the field as much as possible.

Two, my biggest knock on him as a recruit and it has continued with him at Notre Dame is how he isn't the most instinctive or the most physical at taking on blocks vs the inside run game. Rover would allow him to play more free and not be constricted to the box. It would let him be an athlete and play in space. It would put him in favorable pass rush situations off the edge as well.

If ND was running this scheme when they earned a commitment from him, I would have probably projected him to Rover. I think they hoped he would develop and be a sideline to sideline player at Will like Jaylon Smith was and maybe he still can be that player at Buck, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave him an opportunity at Rover.
subalum75
Jamie, who would you consider to be the best 3 linebacksrs? Morgan, Bilal, Coney or Martini?
jamie uyeyama
Staff
subalum75 said:

Jamie, who would you consider to be the best 3 linebacksrs? Morgan, Bilal, Coney or Martini?
Based off of last season, Morgan, Coney, and Martini would be my best 3. But Bilal has the potential to be one of the best 3 this spring or in the fall. Who knows, maybe Jamir Jones or someone else is in that 3 by the time the season rolls around.

Should be some good competition this spring
Dross4
Thanks Jamie, good insight

ratdiggler
Spring will be VERY interesting w all the competitions goin on (RG, WDE, SDE, Buck, SS, CB, Rover)...

I'd say Tranquil starts at Rover. He plays great in run support and is a liability in coverage. Haven't seen enough of Perry or Morgan to say they'll push for time. I do think Bilal will be the 2nd Rover, and they will trade time based on Team and situation. I also think that will be the easier road to playing time for him since Morgan has Mike locked down and I see Matini and Coney battling for the Buck spot.

Gonna go off topic for a sec, but I think it will be interesting to see who is the odd man out in the secondary. I've always like Watkins, a LOT! But Love and Vaughn were great last year as TF. And then we have Crawford, who when healthy, was very very good. Those four will be the 2-deep, but I think they are all so talented that it's gonna be hard to keep them off the field. In which case they will be looked at in packages and situations. Pride has a way to go and IMO Coleman is nothing more than depth, which we desperately lack at CB which could void my whole angle, but only because the staff doesn't want to risk injuries. And I think White will move to and compete for SS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.