ND Offers 2018 Texas S

19,830 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jamie uyeyama
chrismcc7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Notre Dame extended an offer to 2018 Texas safety Billy 'BJ' Foster on Wednesday.

One of the top players in his class, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Foster also has offers from schools like Texas, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan State and Nebraska among several others.

chrismcc7
Staff
Checked in with a source familiar with Foster's recruitment.

I'm told he's "probably the best player in the state."

He did miss a significant amount of his junior season with a knee injury, but he's pretty close to 100% now. Told he's from the same hometown as former Texas DBs Quandre Diggs and Quentin Jammer and that the Longhorns could be tough to beat here.

That being said, some do believe he could end up being a guy who goes out of state. If he does leave the state, Ohio State is likely the best bet at this point. But Notre Dame will - and should - make a push to see if it can get in the mix, which started with today's offer.
Oxnard45
Great closing speed and hits hard, but doesn't use arms to wrap.....needs work on this.
jamie uyeyama
Staff
chrismcc7 said:

Checked in with a source familiar with Foster's recruitment.

I'm told he's "probably the best player in the state."

He did miss a significant amount of his junior season with a knee injury, but he's pretty close to 100% now. Told he's from the same hometown as former Texas DBs Quandre Diggs and Quentin Jammer and that the Longhorns could be tough to beat here.

That being said, some do believe he could end up being a guy who goes out of state. If he does leave the state, Ohio State is likely the best bet at this point. But Notre Dame will - and should - make a push to see if it can get in the mix, which started with today's offer.
Just to add to this, we saw him in person at The Opening before his JR seaosn and he was awesome. Surprised it took this long to offer, but maybe they were waiting on JR film before doing so and the injury slowed the process down.

He is a big time playmaker. I have him ranked 24th in the ISD Fab 50. Could easily see him end up as a top 10 player in the class at some point.
IIO
Going to go with a 0.1 chance of Notre Dame landing this kid. Not that it would have likely mattered but the offer is close to a year late and ND is going against everyone on this kid and those schools have been on him for at least a year.

Great news ND tossed their hat into the ring. Bad news is Notre Dame lacks a prominent Texas recruiter and will just be another school in the eyes of possibly the nation's best safety (one of the top 3, IMO).

As much as ND needs to land a couple of kids of this caliber, ala Jaylon, Manti, Stephon, Harrison, etc,etc, I still believe their pass to success hinges on landing a stellar group of 4 star recruits to fit the system that fit Elko's system and some high upside 3 stars that they specific plan for. I just don't ever see ND competing for a title again if it's recruiting hinges on competing for a class of top 150 defensive players with the likes of Ohio State, Alabama, USC and LSU... I'm really hoping, instead for something that more resembles the Clemson model, that included a couple of top defensive recruits, complimented by low and middle tier 4 stars and high upside 3 stars that are great system fits.

Development. Development. Development.
Bentwaterirish
Jamie, Could any "delay" in offer be credited with ND receiving his grades to determine qualifications? Does seem right to make offer if kid can't qualify.
jamie uyeyama
Staff
Bentwaterirish said:

Jamie, Could any "delay" in offer be credited with ND receiving his grades to determine qualifications? Does seem right to make offer if kid can't qualify.
No idea if that was the deal. I doubt it, though. Sometimes ND waits because they think they have no shot and then find out they might have a chance. Sometimes they just don't like a kid as much as other schools do. Maybe they wanted to see more film, but he was hurt. Maybe Mike Elko walked in and said, "Why the heck haven't we offered BJ Foster?"

Could be those or some other reasons. They offered him now, so that's what is important. Even if they offered him months ago, would still be a really tough pull. We'll see see what happens.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.