Closing out Class of 2017 - Remaining Targets

7,132 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by subalum75
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still a couple of months to go before NSD. Here are the remaining targets in play (currently) for ND. Much can change over the next couple of months. A few will decide over the next few weeks. New names will come on board.

- Oliver Martin (WR) - IA
- Braylon Sanders (WR) - GA
- Jamire Calvin (WR) - CA
- Antjuan Simmons (LB) - MI
- Foster Sarell (OL) - WA
- Evan Fields (DB) - OK

Hits - ND Commits
Aaron Banks (OL) - CA (4-Star - Rivals 112)

Misses -
Thomas Graham (DB) - Oregon
Joshua Pascal (DE) - Kentucky
ratdiggler
Add a Greg Johnson. Kid was a stud at The Opening and had been committed to Arizona, up until last night.

ND has remained a player in his recruitment. Sounds like this could come down to ND-USC. But if the Irish can land Graham it might help as they are good friends
subalum75
Is this the kids who is on the staff at Arizona?
subalum75
Braylon Sanders (WR) out of GA just received an offer from ND. Had an in-home visit from Booker earlier this week.
fisher
Is it true that MD lost commitment from J.Kaindoh?

If so, time for Kelly's train wreck to apply a full court press, he has nothing to lose except his job next season.
Kelly should pitch a tent in the kids front yard....until signing day.
ratdiggler
Fish - yes, JK decommitted just after Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure the staff tried to kick the tires, but it ain't happening.

Sub - I don't think he had anyone related on the UA staff, if that's what u were asking? But not positive. I do know he and Graham have a great relationship w the DB coach that left and is now over at Nebraska. Big reason folks think Graham will come down to ND-Nebraska. Good news is that G Johnson will be making a last minute trip to South Bend for this weekend. Get em on campus and anything can happen. But, I will say he is coming w/o his parents.

Banks makes his decision tomorrow. Crossing fingers...
subalum75
Banks is very important, because I think Sarrell is a LOOOONG SHOT.
ratdiggler
Agree about Sarrell, just don't see it happening. I do think we get every player on ur list outside of Sarrell and Martin. I think both stay home, Sarrell at UW and Martin at Iowa (guessing UM ran out of room, not a surprise)... Really hoping they pull off some magic this weekend w G Johnson! A secondary pull of Hicks-Johnson-Graham-Aedebo would be insane - especially after this season and considering no one knows who the D.C. will be!!!
chrismcc7
Staff
Here's a good resource to follow down the stretch.

http://irishsportsdaily.com/football-recruiting/nd-target-list
ratdiggler
That's an awesome new feature! Really like how you guys have the national rankings next to the ISD rankings and your predictions w confidence level. Can you tell me who/how you guys come up w the ISD rankings? And also how you get the national rankings, if it's a combination of sites or one/two specific, weighted in any way, etc. Looks great, and thx!
chrismcc7
Staff
ratdiggler said:

That's an awesome new feature! Really like how you guys have the national rankings next to the ISD rankings and your predictions w confidence level. Can you tell me who/how you guys come up w the ISD rankings? And also how you get the national rankings, if it's a combination of sites or one/two specific, weighted in any way, etc. Looks great, and thx!

Jamie is in charge of coming up with the ISD Ranking. The national ranking is a combination of various other rankings.
subalum75
Aaron Banks is Irish! I updates the first post in this thread with the remaining targets (hits and misses)

Banks is a 4-Star and ranked as the #112 prospect by Rivals. I big commitment that closes out the OL class (Unless 5-Star Sarrell wants to come on board).
ratdiggler
Well, looks like ND missed on paschal. Kentucky has his brother on staff so it appears he is heading there... Too bad, big miss. And to be honest, I'm not sure ND lands Graham either. For a moment it looked like the Irish would have a big finish to their recruiting class, instead it's starting to look like they will finish the same way the season did...

All this while other schools are pushing kids out to make room for higher profile recruits (SC had 3 dropped over the weekend, OSU saw Simmons out the door and possibly Cage too, UM will most likely follow suit like last year). I don't agree w that at all, schools shud stand by their word, but it must be nice to have everyone bearing down ur door trying to get in. Not sure if anyone say the 30 for 30 over the weekend, but it was a sad reminder of just how far this program has fallen...
ratdiggler
And just like that, it now appears ND is on the outside looking in for Graham...

Lots of stories flying around right now: w Darnay Holmes possibly heading to OSU he may stay home at UCLA; Oregons new coach Taggert had an amazing visit the other night, so much so that even tho tho had no relationship and neither did Oregon (not really) he's heading to Oregon now; or it's Nebraska w their new DB coach who he had a great relationship w when he was at Arizona recruiting him...

Regardless, this is brutal. Even worse is he was supposedly a silent commit for a while now. Even had all his paperwork in for early enrollment next month...

It's like the fire keeps burning and folks are using gasoline to try and put it out...
subalum75
I'll trade Graham for Simmons.

I wanted Paschal, but maybe Cage takes another look at ND. Afterall, we have his brother right???
ratdiggler
If we were running out of room in the class, I would agree... but considering the staff is not going to be able to fill the class w legitimate targets and either be forced to move to plan C, D, & F, or wait till next cycle - then I'd have to respectfully disagree w you sub. I'm all for getting Simmons, but when you have the lack of depth and talent you really can't afford to pick and choose. Or better put, wait and see. Cuz that's really what it is. This staff has not castes a big enough net, can not close the deal (as we have seen multiple times when it comes to NSD), and then waits too long to put more offers out. Call it what you will: lazy, poor planning, arrogant. I don't care. Bottom line is this is not getting it done...
subalum75
Updated list on original post.

Two misses:
Thomas Graham (DB) - Oregon

Joshua Pascal (DE) - Kentucky
ratdiggler
Another potential flip...

Baylor has offered Avery Davis

And then they hired AD's HS coach... hmmm, if we lose PJ due to Sanford leaving and then lose AD cuz he follows his coach to the home state school, we are going to be in BIG trouble at QB in a few years. Better get a move on w who Wimbush'a successor will be. I am not sure I seen Book as the answer....
ratdiggler
Not ND related, but interesting and involves a former ND target...

UM is at it again - looks like AJ Dillion, former ND target, is about to flip to Bostonian College. Apparently at his OV recently, the UM staff said he won't be a RB for them, they want him at LB. He has said all along he wants to play RB in college (part of why he and ND parted ways as the staff wanted him to be "open" to a possible change to LB, if I remember correctly). So basically after 8 months, UM has decided to drop this on him since they have better options, and will end up forcing his hand on this one...
subalum75
The dirty game of college recruiting.

BC is local for him. An excellent school (my wife is an alum). However, on the field, it is quite a drop in status. Pretty much will be spending 4 years mired in mediocrity.
subalum75
On Avery Davis. He has stated that he is still solid with ND. Looks like Kelly dodged a bullet.

On the 6 remaining targets I'm tracking, ND doesn't seem to be leading on any of them.

- Oliver Martin (WR) - IA
- Braylon Sanders (WR) - GA
- Jamire Calvin (WR) - CA
- Antjuan Simmons (LB) - MI
- Foster Sarell (OL) - WA
- Evan Fields (DB) - OK

ratdiggler
Of the targets listed:

- Oliver Martin (WR) - Hard to read, won't be at UM though so it's ND or Iowa. Coin flip, but one that I think ND may get.
- Braylon Sanders (WR) - Not sure where things are here. He was visited earlier this month but I do not believe an offered has been extended at this point. And he was visited by Booker who is no longer w the staff. It sounded like more of a backup plan at the time.
- Jamire Calvin (WR) - word is he's won't be accepted if he wanted to commit. Leaning Nebraska but "if" he can get the academics squared away it very well could swing back NDs way
- Antjuan Simmons (LB) - everything was pointing to MSU after the smoke cleared from his decommit, but over this week there is a LOT of ND trending here. Think the Elko hire may have made waves cuz this kid has good speed and plays wel in space. Be a nice fit for the Rover. He is planning to visit next month and will make his decision by the end of Jan.
- Foster Sarell (OL) - pipe dream, they took a good swing but he's staying out west
- Evan Fields (DB) - Legit shot here! Kid has seen his recruitment sky rocket after a solid senior season, w just under 25 offers I believe. He'll be on campus next month so the staff has a chance to make a move. That will be his 4th OV and he has one more he can take, but it's getting down to the wire.

It does sound like ND is going back and kicking the tires on Cortez Alston (DE). Hoping to get him on campus next month. The Irish were in a great position w him until they filled up (Jeter). Talks stopped, but obviously things have changed. Sounds like there could still be mutual interest, let's see what happens next month.
Oops, just saw he committed to GT yesterday...

Jeron Cage (DT) is still committed to OSU, but it is starting to sound like OSU is on the fence w whether to push him out or not. As a result, he is expected to take an OV to South Bend next month. Get him w Elko and this could get really interesting.
Latavious Brini (CB) had a great visit back in the summer but ultimately committed to Georgia. That lasted until October as he ended up decommitting. He has been in contact w multiple schools since then, one of which has been ND. The plan is to get him back on campus next month... we'll see

January will be a big month, albeit w/o the 5 stars that we'll hear about landing at OSU, Bama, UM, and USC. But there is some legit talent the Irish are still in play with, so let's hope they can close strong
subalum75
Rat, thanks for the updates!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.