Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | No. 3 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh

October 24, 2020

No. 3 Notre Dame (4-0, 3-0) at Pittsburgh (3-3, 2-3)

Heinz Field | 3:30 p.m. ET | ABC

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth Chart Schedule |Staff Predictions 

Rugged Saturday

Notre Dame will hit the road for the first time in 2020 and will get to face a Pitt team looking to end a three-game losing streak on Saturday afternoon. The Panthers defense has stolen all the headlines this week despite teams scoring 30 or more against Pitt the last three games. 

Ian Book will need to be aggressive down the field on Saturday, but this game will still come down to Notre Dame being able to run the football against the nation’s top run defense. Pitt is only giving 61.5 rushing yards per game and it’s more impressive when you see teams are averaging just 1.85 yards per carry. The good news is Notre Dame is No. 7 in the country in rushing offense, so if you like physical football, this is the game for you...well at least when Notre Dame is on offense. 

On the other side of the ball, Notre Dame’s defense might not be getting enough credit as Pitt will likely struggle to score with redshirt freshman quarterback Joey Yellen expected to get the start for the injured Kenny Pickett. Pitt has an atrocious run game, which is odd to say, but the Panthers are averaging just 107 yards rushing per game (2.8 ypc). For perspective, 77 FBS teams have played and Pitt ranks 70th in rushing offense. 

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame WR Kevin Austin
Two targets isn't enough for him. He needs to be involved more often. He will have the benefit of plenty of one on one matchups, so we'll see if Notre Dame can take advantage of that.

Pitt DE Rashad Weaver
Is Weaver the best defensive end in the ACC? He may be the best defensive end in the country. He's an elite player against the run and the pass. His matchup with Liam Eichenberg will be one to watch.

Notre Dame OL Robert Hainsey
There has been more attention given to Eichenberg, but Hainsey has played some of his best football for Notre Dame. He has had some issues dealing with bull rushers in the last few years and defensive end Patrick Jones is an excellent speed to power rusher. Hainsey needs to hold his own against a player who leads the nation in sacks.

Pitt S Paris Ford
Ford leads their team with three interceptions, but he can do it all for Pitt. He's an aggressive player against the run and also leads their team in tackles.

Notre Dame DE Ade Ogundeji
The Pitt starting defensive end duo is outstanding, but don't sleep on the year Ogundeji is having. He's been strong setting the edge and PFF has him second in the country in pressure percentage.

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame DL Kurt Hinish:
"It means the world to me to go back home and play Pitt. I grew up watching Pitt. I'm excited to play at Heinz Field for the fourth time. We played there in high school, so I've played there before.

"I’m really excited to go home and play in front of my family and friends. This game means everything to me." 

Notre Dame WR Avery Davis:
“We're going to go out there and compete. I'm not worried about what happened last week. We're confident and sticking to our process. We're going to go out there and have a good game." 

Notre Dame OL Aaron Banks:
"They're really strong up front and do a lot of things with blitzes and movement that make it hard for teams to move the ball. I think we have a really good scheme for them this week and we just want to go out and dominate every single play." 

Notre Dame LB Shayne Simon:
"I kind of love road trips. I've never got to play at Heinz Field, so I'm excited to play there. As long as the excitement and we're ready to play, there isn't anything going to be different.

“We're all going to be amped up and ready to put our best effort forward." 

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly:
“I don't know that we have, maybe Clemson is the only team that we've faced that has that kind of depth at the defensive end position. Now Clemson had more depth at the tackle position that we've ever seen, but this is probably the deepest defensive end position rotation that we've seen in quite some time.”

For Your Nerves 

TEAM STATS Notre Dame Pittsburgh
Points Per Game 33.3 29.5
Points Allowed Per Game 11.5 20.3
Total Yards 440.8 390.2
Yards Passing 179.8 283.2
Yards Rushing 261.0 107.0
Yards Allowed 300.8 274.7
Pass Yards Allowed 193.3 213.2
Rush Yards Allowed  107.5 61.5

Game Thread | No. 3 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh

72,660 Views | 659 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tjhaley
pbrad28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Notre Dame DE Rashad Weaver....
mattfreeman
Staff
Pitt QB Kenny Pickett will miss today's game.

Redshirt freshman Joey Yellen will get his second consecutive start.

mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame has arrived.

mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
Pitt wearing gray helmets, gray jerseys with gray numbers and gray pants.
mattfreeman
Staff
Kickoff will be at 3:41pm.
mattfreeman
Staff
Looks like Xavier Watts made the travel roster.

mattfreeman
Staff
WR Kevin Austin Jr. here at Heinz Field in a boot.

mattfreeman
Staff
Clarence Lewis, Shayne Simon working with the 1s.

Skowronek, McKinley and Davis working with the 1s. (Lenzy, Keys and Wilkins the 2nd group)
mattfreeman
Staff
Warmups complete.
Sgt Hulka
Don't have to be close, boys
ndsean44
mattfreeman said:

Clarence Lewis, Shayne Simon working with the 1s.

Skowronek, McKinley and Davis working with the 1s. (Lenzy, Keys and Wilkins the 2nd group)
1 for 5.

That top WR group is unacceptable.
GulfCoastIrish
Get this Big 12 nonsense off my screen.
Firefighter8196
Should be interesting to see what happens with the passing game. It's no secret to Pitt that we want to run the ball.
Sgt Hulka
I get the first half then I have to go to my son's playoff game. This will probably be it. Hollow feeling
GulfCoastIrish
Sgt Hulka said:

I get the first half then I have to go to my son's playoff game. This will probably be it. Hollow feeling

Sport, age, and position?
Sgt Hulka
Football. He's a senior and plays DE.
mattfreeman
Staff
5,500 spread out today.
dunwoodyfan
Terrible news on Austin. Need him for Clemson.
Rwolf101
I hope Baylor beats Texas by 70
GulfCoastIrish
Sgt Hulka said:

Football. He's a senior and plays DE.

Does he read the Fade?
leofitz
Sgt Hulka said:

Its a good thing to spend time at your sons game. Enjoy it.
Firefighter8196
Sgt Hulka said:

Couldn't help myself
Sgt Hulka
Buddy of mine's old man is a big wheeler at UT and Herman is a dead man walking. They're already going all in on Urb.
Sgt Hulka
Hahaha
mattfreeman
Staff
Robert Hainsey representing Notre Dame as a captain.

Notre Dame wins the toss and will receive.
Sgt Hulka
Oh goodie, ND hater Todd in the booth
Rwolf101
Sgt Hulka said:

Buddy of mine's old man is a big wheeler at UT and Herman is a dead man walking. They're already going all in on Urb.

I think Urban would be a great fit there.
SWANSEA
We have a great TV announcer today.
Sgt Hulka
Rwolf101 said:

Sgt Hulka said:

I think Urban would be a great fit there.

Ohhh he could really cheat there
ndsean44
I really don't understand that decision.

Why not give Pitt the ball and force their bad offense to be pinned back and set your team up with potential good field position. Instead, the pressure is now on ND's offense to move the ball and not set Pitt up with good field position.
mattfreeman
Staff
Pitt press box announcer says it's 52 degrees.

Waiting for the ISD weatherman to confirm.
mattfreeman
Staff
ndsean44 said:

I really don't understand that decision.

Why not give Pitt the ball and force their bad offense to be pinned back and set your team up with potential good field position. Instead, the pressure is now on ND's offense to move the ball and not set Pitt up with good field position.
If Brian Kelly deferred you wouldn't understand it at this point lol
mattfreeman
Staff
3rd-and-6 - Book runs for 6.
Rwolf101
Even this is a generous spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.