Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | Syracuse at No. 2 Notre Dame

December 5, 2020

Syracuse (1-9, 1-8) at No. 2 Notre Dame (9-0, 8-0)

Notre Dame Stadium | 2:30 p.m. ET | NBC

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth Chart Schedule |Staff Predictions 

Get up, Get out

If Saturday is a challenge for Notre Dame, then they need to take a hard look in the mirror before the ACC Championship Game. Now, Syracuse did compete with Clemson longer than most expected, but this is a chance for the Irish to finish off an impressive regular season while also continuing a focus on the future. 

There should be motivation from the staff to get up and then get starters out so they don’t get hurt or an unlucky targeting call in the second half while also getting its youth on the field. As we’ve seen, life changes quickly in 2020 and getting some much-needed reps for the backups could be beneficial. 

As for Notre Dame’s players, it’s a chance to move the home winning streak to 24 games and send the seniors out on a high note, which also includes getting seniors who don’t play a chance to get on the field. 

If Notre Dame is focused, Saturday isn’t close and Ian Book walks out of Notre Dame Stadium for the final time as the all-time winningest quarterback in school history. 

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame G Dillan Gibbons
With Zeke Correll's status uncertain, we should see Gibbons play a lot. He stepped in against Florida State and did a good job in the running game.

Syracuse WR Taj Harris
The WR1 for Syracuse is their best weapon. He'll get a high volume of targets and if the Irish shut him down, it's going to be tough for the Orange to find the end zone.

Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau
He had a breakout game last week against North Carolina. Now we get to see if that continues and someone can finally get a firm grasp on the starting Buck job. If he continues to be a playmaker, that's a great sign for the defense before their expected rematch with Clemson.

Syracuse LB Mikel Jones
A rising star on a young defense, Jones has four interceptions on the season. He leads a group of players at linebacker and safety that causes a good amount of havoc.

Notre Dame DT Kurt Hinish
This could be Hinish's final game in Notre Dame Stadium and there is no doubt he will leave it all out on the field. He should make a big impact against a below-average Syracuse O-line.

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame RB Kyren Williams:
“It's crazy. You come to Notre Dame and you don't think you're going to play in any conference games. Now, we're in the ACC Championship for the first time in Notre Dame history and the first time ever in my career. 

"This is a goal as a team we've been preaching on since we joined the ACC. We were going to come in here and compete for an ACC Championship. 

"We still have Syracuse, but we see that goal in the future and we can't forget that we still have to work to get to that goal. We haven't accomplished anything yet."

Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau:
"One thing I think about myself, especially coming from Hawaii, I feel we have that chip on our shoulder as Hawaii players. We pride ourselves in being physical, flying around the field, hitting people and having fun while playing. I feel that can be evident at times." 

Notre Dame DE Ade Ogundeji:
"Definitely my first year it was a struggle, but we've just continually gotten better as a team. And myself, I've continued to get better. I think that's what it comes down to in life, just growth throughout the whole time.”

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly: 
"The announcement as to being part of the championship game doesn't really change how we prepare for our performance on Saturday. It's still important for our football team because there's so many things going on, right? 

"No. 1 the chance to win all of your games at home for a third consecutive season. To send our seniors out on a winning note has always been important here at Notre Dame, regardless of the season. 

"Solidifying your resume going into the College Football Playoffs. A lot of things to play for, but it's never really been about that for us. It's much more about this consistency of performance and how you prepare for it. That really didn't change much for us.”

For Your Nerves 

TEAM STATS Notre Dame Syracuse
Points Per Game 36.9 17.5
Points Allowed Per Game 16.7 31.5
Total Yards 464.0 250.4
Yards Passing 234.3 172.1
Yards Rushing 229.7 78.3
Yards Allowed 303.4 453.5
Pass Yards Allowed 218.1 251.8
Rush Yards Allowed  85.3 201.7

Game Thread | Syracuse at No. 2 Notre Dame

75,516 Views | 622 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Firefighter8196
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Notre Dame has arrived.

mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
Looks like Dillan Gibbons will get his first start at RG today. Josh Lugg working at center today.
mattfreeman
Staff
Drew Pyne got the reps with the 2nd team offense in warmups. Didn't look like Brendon Clark got reps.
mattfreeman
Staff
Very weird environment today.

No students.
No band.

mattfreeman
Staff
He's not a weatherman, but Mike Collins says it's 37 degrees with 5-10 mph winds from the North.
REMND
Did Clark travel with the team?
mattfreeman
Staff
REMND said:

What do you mean
AZdoc
mattfreeman said:

REMND said:

What do you mean

You know... for the walk across campus!
mattfreeman
Staff
AZdoc said:

mattfreeman said:

REMND said:

What do you mean

You know... for the walk across campus!
He walked from the bus pulled up the Rockne gate to the locker room, dressed and then walked on the field for warmups.
mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame has taken the field.
JMAC
I heard he's in a brace?
mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame's captain for today: Ian Book

Syracuse wins the toss and defers.
mattfreeman
Staff
JMAC said:

I heard he's in a brace?
He's been in one before I believe.
Rwolf101
Tirico's suit is on point today.
usma95
Let's bring it Irish. Fast start!!
mattfreeman
Staff
Book complete to Mayer....but not for a first down. Lazy start.
mattfreeman
Staff
Run game. Not good.
mattfreeman
Staff
Book to Avery Davis. 1st down. +14
mattfreeman
Staff
Book deep shot to Wilkins. Dropped.
ndSlaw
Ugh... Catch the ball
mattfreeman
Staff
I think Cuse knows ND runs left....a bunch.
ejsjr
Javon would have had that easily.
Donnymo
So Zeke Correll started one game, gets hurt, won't play football for an entire month....and gets his second start against Clemson (with a full deck of cards defensively) in the ACC championship
mattfreeman
Staff
3rd-and-7.....Book to Skow +29.
mattfreeman
Staff
Book to Tyree +5
mattfreeman
Staff
ND running screen game early and often.
REMND
mattfreeman said:

REMND said:

What do you mean
Woops. It is a home game. I am wondering if he is ill or hurt so Pyne gets his game time again.
mattfreeman
Staff
great play call. Ugly execution
REMND
This is a nice drive. An unhurried 5 minute 80 yard drive.
ndSlaw
Good throw, bad hands
Firefighter8196
Blah...good opening drive. Just some missed TD passes.
Rwolf101
I wonder how much the sun impacted those last 2 passes.
ejsjr
I think Javon lost it in the sun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.