Story Poster
Photo by Rick Kimball/ISD
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | Purdue (2-0) at No. 12 Notre Dame (2-0)

September 17, 2021

Purdue (2-0) at No. 12 Notre Dame (2-0) 

Notre Dame Stadium | 2:30 p.m. ET | NBC | Notre Dame -7.5 | O/U: 58

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth ChartSchedule | Visit List

Gut Check Time

Notre Dame’s players have heard the negative vibes given from the fanbase over the last week. (Check out Inside the Garage Podcast Episode 5) and it seems like Notre Dame had a good week of practice. The team is finally back into a normal routine after starting the season on a Sunday which led to a challenging week of practice before the Toledo game. 

The Irish will have a tough challenge on Saturday as Purdue historically has played Notre Dame tough and the Boilermakers will bring two elite players to South Bend.

David Bell is a dominating receiver and he hasn’t been stopped to date as he’s recorded 14 receptions for 255 yards and three touchdowns in two games. Notre Dame won't be able to shut him down as he’s that good, but if they can eliminate the game-changing plays, it could be smooth sailing as Purdue lacks playmakers opposite Bell. 

On defense, the defensive line will be Purdue’s strength and it’s led by defensive end George Karlaftis. He’ll be a handful, especially for a young left tackle whether it’s Tosh Baker or Michael Carmody. 

But this game is about Notre Dame. Can the offensive find a running game and more consistency? The defense has been fine for about 97 percent of the plays this season, but can they trim down the big plays in week three? 

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame LT Tosh Baker
He got better as the game went along last week, but this will be a much more difficult challenge against one of the top pass rushers in the country. We can expect that he won't be left on an island too much with help from Kyren Williams when the Boilermakers rush four.

Purdue DE George Karlaftis
No sacks on the season for Karlaftis, but he's top-five in the country in pressures. He's an elite talent and Notre Dame needs both of their tackles to be better to contain him.

Notre Dame LB Jack Kiser
Notre Dame fans have been waiting for a breakout game from Kiser, but it hasn't happened yet. This week would be as good as any with his family having several connections to Purdue.

Purdue WR David Bell
Dangerous after the catch and a jump ball beast, he'll be a tough matchup for any defender one on one. He'll be bracketed quite often and it will be critical for Notre Dame to not let him go off.

Notre Dame Vyper Jordan Botelho
He'll make his season debut and his presence could be big on 3rd downs. The Irish haven't been able to get off the field consistently enough in those situations and his ability as a pass rusher could give them a necessary boost. 

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame QB Jack Coan: 
"Honestly, the only thing I care about is winning," Coan stated. "Whether that's me, Tyler, or Drew (Pyne), whoever gives us the best chance to win, I'm in favor of them. Tyler definitely helps us win and he showed that in the game. I was super happy he went in and helped us win. That's what it's all about." 

Notre Dame DL Kurt Hinish:
“We're still a baller defense. Have we given up a couple points? Yeah. But we're still a group of ballers, and we're going to be a group of ballers.

“I feel like if one of the plays gets through one of the gaps and leads to the middle, then I take responsibility for that. Even if it's in the opposite A gap, I feel responsible for that, because it is in the middle of the defense, and me and Jayson Ademilola, we hold one another accountable.

“For example, last week I missed a tackle for loss against Toledo. We were sitting in the film room watching it the other day, that play came up and Jayson just turned around and gave me a look and I looked at him back, and I'm like, 'You're right. We gotta make those plays.'”

Notre Dame LB Jack Kiser:
You said it, Purdue family," laughed Kiser. "Dad, brother, cousins, uncles, aunts, best friends, girlfriend - a lot of people, connections and ticket requests. It's going to be special and I hope we come out and succeed and perform, improve and be at our best.

"They're definitely rooting for Jack Kiser,"  said Kiser. "They're definitely rooting for Notre Dame, but at the same time, it's hard to say that everybody is going to be rooting for Notre Dame. There will definitely be some Jack Kiser fans out there." 

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly:
"(Jordan) Botelho is available and he will play.”

For Your Nerves 

Game Thread | Purdue (2-0) at No. 12 Notre Dame (2-0)

119,541 Views | 1231 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sgt Hulka
kevinhank9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
green
mattfreeman
Staff
2023 Warren (Calif.) five-star QB Nicholaus Iamaleava will be visiting today.
richf
If ND is so worried about Karlaftis. why not put a tight end (or backup lineman) lined up 1 yard deep and just outside our tackle? If a tight end, he could assist the block for a couple of counts, then release for a screen to him? Seems like a solution to a potent blind side rusher. I'm no coach, but sure would like to hear from some smart folks what's wrong with this idea.
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
NDfromMSP
And there’s a MAAAAGGGIIIICCCCCC in the sound of their name.

Brian Kelly who?
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame OL Michael Carmody is not dressed as the Irish take the field for warmups.
mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame RB C'Bo Flemister was not listed as unavailable, but he's also in street clothes.
mattfreeman
Staff
Blake Fisher in the building for the game this week. Fisher is on crutches maneuvering around the end zone.
mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame has completed warmups.
mattfreeman
Staff
Purdue rocking gold helmets today. That should be interesting for QBs making quick decisions.
NDmark1
I have to when I saw Xavier Watts in the photo gallery, he looks more LB than WR to me.
mattfreeman
Staff
NFL scouts at Notre Dame today: Buccaneers, Cardinals, Chargers, Jets, Panthers, Patriots, Saints and Washington.
mattfreeman
Staff
84 degrees. Wind 5-10mph
Rwolf101
Oh here we go with the bleeping drum.
PhillyNDFan
Couldn't even make it 3 mins without mentioning the stupid drum
Rwolf101
PhillyNDFan said:

I'd take a dumpsky in that drum. So sick of it. I hope somebody drives a truck into it.
andrew32
Rwolf101 said:

PhillyNDFan said:

I'd take a dumpsky in that drum. So sick of it. I hope somebody drives a truck into it.

That escalated quickly.
Firefighter8196
How's the stadium attendance look? Hopefully better than last week
irishkmg
Less than stellar half time speech. Disney hasn't written one that generic.
A Stubborn Mick
irishkmg
Rwolf101 said:

Oh here we go with the bleeping drum.

I warned everyone. That will be the conversation today. The football game will be an afterthought to NBC lol
A Stubborn Mick
jbachman
ND looks silly for not letting the drum in. Dumb.
Buccos815
Is Matt still in the future?
This post was brought to you by the 2008 & 2011 Champion of the Irish Eyes Fantasy Football League, the 2009 ISD Runner of the Year, the 2010 Champion of the ISD Pigskin Pick'em League, the 2018 & 2020 Champions of the ISD Fantasy Football League and the 2021 Champion of the ISD NCAA March Madness League
geckovip
No offense Drew but Purdue is not a rival. Just a neighbor.
ohiondfan
Anyone set up a chat room to talk live? Heard about something but can't find it.
GulfCoastIrish
irishkmg said:

Less than stellar half time speech. Disney hasn't written one that generic.
I already missed the first half?!?
mattfreeman
Staff
Jack Coan sacked on the first play.
mattfreeman
Staff
Lorenzo Styles in.
Sweetlou88
great start!
Rwolf101
This is a less than ideal start.
mattfreeman
Staff
False start Notre Dame. 2nd-and-24 to start lol
cdr2529
Clan is so bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.