Questions?

4 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mattfreeman
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Any team or recruiting questions I can answer over here?
ratdiggler
Recruiting
How do you like NDs chances w Oweh since he postponed his commitment?
Word is Burton is a heavy ND lean but is he an academic risk? Or do you think he'll commit in the near future?
What's the word on Booker? Sounded like he was headed to Stanford after the offer but w no action can ND pull this off?
Do the Irish have a legit shot w Saylor or is he just visiting to watch his hometown team? Didn't he travel to ND a few times already on his own dime?
What's the word w Petit-Ferer?
Do we have any traction w MacIntosh's lil brother? Sounds like a legit talent but also sounding like he may stay in-state

Season
How worried should we be about the DLine depth?
How about the Safety play now that Coleman has gotten in some fall reps?
With Vaugh getting some solid reviews, do you think we'll see Love move to S?
What's your opinion on Wimbush after a few open practices? The O looks like it could have a pleothora of weapons!
With Georgia losing a lot upfront on O do you think Wimbush and Co can put up enough points on their D to pull off the upset?

Thanks in advance!!! GO IRISH!!!
InLeaWeTrust
Any rumblings on Elijah taylor?

Who do you expect to start at S?

Is there confidence that Gilman gets the waiver?

koonja
Team QU - if the allegations are true that Claypool, Mack (who takes reps at WR), and Stepherson are dogging it and they need to step up or it's going to cost them playing time, how much of it do you put on the new WR coach, Alexander? It seems like he's escaped criticism in motivating these guys so far, and wondering what your guys' thoughts are on how he's doing.

Or is this just a case of those 3 coincidentally not having their attitude/practice habits on point right now and it has nothing to do with what Alexander is/isn't doing?
mattfreeman
Staff
ratdiggler said:

Recruiting
How do you like NDs chances w Oweh since he postponed his commitment?
Word is Burton is a heavy ND lean but is he an academic risk? Or do you think he'll commit in the near future?
What's the word on Booker? Sounded like he was headed to Stanford after the offer but w no action can ND pull this off?
Do the Irish have a legit shot w Saylor or is he just visiting to watch his hometown team? Didn't he travel to ND a few times already on his own dime?
What's the word w Petit-Ferer?
Do we have any traction w MacIntosh's lil brother? Sounds like a legit talent but also sounding like he may stay in-state

Season
How worried should we be about the DLine depth?
How about the Safety play now that Coleman has gotten in some fall reps?
With Vaugh getting some solid reviews, do you think we'll see Love move to S?
What's your opinion on Wimbush after a few open practices? The O looks like it could have a pleothora of weapons!
With Georgia losing a lot upfront on O do you think Wimbush and Co can put up enough points on their D to pull off the upset?

Thanks in advance!!! GO IRISH!!!
- Jayson Oweh is taking a step back from his recruitment to make official visits. Notre Dame still trails Ohio State and Penn State. At some point, Ohio State's depth chart is going to have an impact on a decision, but I don't think Oweh is too concerned about that. The longer it goes, the better chances Notre Dame lands him, but they have work to do.

- I am not sure Donte Burton is an academic risk but I think the staff would have loved the chance to see him work out at Irish Invasion. He wants to get his decision with over this fall, so after he takes his officials, I could see a decision coming soon after that is over.

- I think Thomas Booker is the guy most programs like but don't love. They see a ceiling but they probably saw he didn't have the best spring/summer. Booker is probably a guy they will take in September if he commits after his official visit for Temple, but I am not totally sure he's a guy they take late in the process when others jump on board.

- Jamaree Salyer has been to Notre Dame on his own dime twice. I think he likes Notre Dame and his family likes Notre Dame. If South Bend was in Georgia or the South, the Irish would probably be the school. Not sure Notre Dame has enough juice in the long run to steer him away from UGA, esp with early playing time avail at UGA.

- Nicholas Petit-Frere has Notre Dame probably running third at best right now. I'd expect him to take an official visit but I think that ship has probably sailed.

- It would surprise me if Kenny McIntosh left the South at this point. Family loves Notre Dame but playing close to home is an option a lot of kids don't get.

------------------------------------------------------------------

- The defensive line will need to overachieve in the run game but they will be fine in the pass game. There is a lot to like when it comes to pass rush. They just need to be able to prove they can hold up against the run. There is some talent, but it's just inexperienced.

- I am not really worried about safety play. Last year was rough, but you're going to have that when you play true freshmen back there. Let those guys get seasoned and next year, you could be talking about great potential at safety.

- Julian Love will play safety in various personnel packages and situational football. It's not going to be a permanent move.

- He's looked good. We haven't seen enough to see where he's at. He clearly a tremendous talent that just needs game action at this point.

- The ND-UGA game will come down to if Notre Dame can stop the run. Notre Dame is going to score points but if they can't tackle Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, it could be a long night in South Bend for the Irish.
mattfreeman
Staff
InElkoWeTrust said:

Any rumblings on Elijah taylor?

Who do you expect to start at S?

Is there confidence that Gilman gets the waiver?

- I am not sure Elijah Taylor is close to returning at this point from what we've seen. But we haven't seen them do team stuff in 2 weeks.

- Nick Coleman and Jalen Elliott.

- Notre Dame is hopeful.
mattfreeman
Staff
koonja said:

Team QU - if the allegations are true that Claypool, Mack (who takes reps at WR), and Stepherson are dogging it and they need to step up or it's going to cost them playing time, how much of it do you put on the new WR coach, Alexander? It seems like he's escaped criticism in motivating these guys so far, and wondering what your guys' thoughts are on how he's doing.

Or is this just a case of those 3 coincidentally not having their attitude/practice habits on point right now and it has nothing to do with what Alexander is/isn't doing?
- We haven't seen enough of practice to judge Del Alexander to that extent, much less a game. Mack hasn't taken a rep at WR, so I am not sure what he has to do with Alexander's coaching. It's part of a maturation. Those kids are only sophomores and haven't had the luxury of seeing veterans do it before them. They are learning on the fly.

Torii Hunter Jr. was the vet last year but he was also out of action for a large part of the year. I am not sure a sophomore Equanimeous St. Brown, who was in his first year of starting is going to be the best example of how to practice each day and go about your business on a daily basis.

ColoradoIrish
From your perspective is the depth more concerning at 3tech or nose? What about at Center? A lot is riding on mustiphers health. Has Ruhland looked passable there?

What run/pass mix would you like to see out of this offense? What do you expect we will see?

mattfreeman
Staff
ColoradoIrish said:

From your perspective is the depth more concerning at 3tech or nose? What about at Center? A lot is riding on mustiphers health. Has Ruhland looked passable there?

What run/pass mix would you like to see out of this offense? What do you expect we will see?

Nose guard hurts more than 3T. 3T they can get by with moving bodies. 1T is going to depend a lot on guys that haven't taken meaningful snaps if that.

We have only seen one practice to really get a feel for Ruhland, so that's not much to judge a player off of. We will know more after Sunday.

I'd expect and want to see about 55/45 ratio. Notre Dame has pieces to make big plays in the pass game, so you definitely want to capitalize off playaction.
CoachRam817
How much difference do you think the switch to Elko's D from VanGorder's D is gonna make overall? Does it seem like the D loves the new scheme and does it seems to fit our personnel pretty well so far?

Also, Chip Long seems to do a pretty good job of scheming. From what you've seen so far, is the offense starting to click and understand what he's trying to do? Article sounds promising for sure, but just curious to see what you thought as well from the limited practice time you've seen. Thanks in advance! Really enjoy everything you do here!
mattfreeman
Staff
CoachRam817 said:

How much difference do you think the switch to Elko's D from VanGorder's D is gonna make overall? Does it seem like the D loves the new scheme and does it seems to fit our personnel pretty well so far?

Also, Chip Long seems to do a pretty good job of scheming. From what you've seen so far, is the offense starting to click and understand what he's trying to do? Article sounds promising for sure, but just curious to see what you thought as well from the limited practice time you've seen. Thanks in advance! Really enjoy everything you do here!
Only one way to tell and that's playing real games. Coaches, players, and the media can say all they want, but at this point, it's simply about results. Nick Coleman put it pretty simple the other day when he said the differences in scheme are only so great because it's still football. You have to stop the run and stop the pass to be a successful defense. That starts with tackling.

We haven't seen enough to know if the offense is clicking. We have seen a full practice without pads, one full practice of pads but it was the first day, so no one is going to look great. Then we saw 10 periods and nothing was done but a little 7-on-7.

Sunday's scrimmage will tell a whole lot.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.