Passing Game

2,734 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mattfreeman
Irishcajun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok I know the offense(Brandon Wimbush) threw 3 touchdowns and may have gotten us in the correct checks to get us to totally dominate this game, but I can not stand how long Wimbush is holding the football and making poor throws. Yes we had zero interceptions but 119 yards passing, completing less than 50% of his passes, waiting all day to throw, and poor mechanics are crazy. Sorry if I am worrying about a possible minor critique down the road, but if we can not be thriving against a below average team now. How can we look ahead to the meat of the schedule and be confident? So my real questions are.... could it be Tom Rees with not developing Brandon? Could it be D. Alexander with the receivers? Could it be poor play design or calling? Or could it even be that our players just not playing well?
gautrp
14angej said:

Ok I know the offense(Brandon Wimbush) threw 3 touchdowns and may have gotten us in the correct checks to get us to totally dominate this game, but I can not stand how long Wimbush is holding the football and making poor throws. Yes we had zero interceptions but 119 yards passing, completing less than 50% of his passes, waiting all day to throw, and poor mechanics are crazy. Sorry if I am worrying about a possible minor critique down the road, but if we can not be thriving against a below average team now. How can we look ahead to the meat of the schedule and be confident? So my real questions are.... could it be Tom Rees with not developing Brandon? Could it be D. Alexander with the receivers? Could it be poor play design or calling? Or could it even be that our players just not playing well?

Going on three years into the system and five full games. People will have their own opinion on Wimbush.
mattfreeman
Staff
14angej said:

Notre Dame won 52-17. Wimbush scored 4 touchdowns, zero turnovers and Notre Dame ran for 333 yards. Sure, Wimbush needs to clean some stuff up but as long as he takes care of the football Notre Dame will be fine.

He's five games into his career and his first year in a new system. I think if you expected him to throw for 300 yards a game and 5TDs game, that's probably a high expectation for a first-year starter.

DeShone Kizer, Everett Golson, etc might have had better stats but did they win games? Wimbush is a winner and is only going to improve his game once he gets experience. Believe it or not, there are things he's experiencing for the first time each Saturday and he has to work through that. He doesn't have the luxury of having a Will Fuller and Chris Brown on the outside like Kizer did his first year as starter. That obviously was a great benefit for Kizer that Wimbush doesn't have.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.