ND vs. USC - Rewatch and thoughts...

3,570 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by subalum75
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I took the time to rewatch ND's dismantling of USC. Boy, what pleasure it was! I learned several things as well. I tracked the personnel/formations on offense and paid close attention to the DL rotation. Here are some random notes that I jotted down

1st Half (28-0)

- Coney with a big fumble recovery to instantly shift the momentum.

- Wimbush with a beautiful TD pass to ESB. Boy, if the passing game ever comes together!

- Core defensive line appears to be: Jay Hayes, Bonner, Tillery, and Daelin Hayes.

- Morgan, Coney, Tranquil are playing excellent, owning the second level.

- Tillery is able to penetrate and disrupt the offense seemingly at will. The guy is dominant. Playing like an all-american if you ask me.

- Watkins with a nice INT

- Kareem with a sack!

- I really think Alize Mack is primed for a breakout game. He is right on the cusp.

On the personnel front, I would say that 80% of the plays are out of the 1-1 personnell (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR). Long does a great job of moving players around though. I saw the running back out wide. The Tight End lined up in the backfield, on the line of scrimmage, out wide, and in the slot. So, while the personnel package remains the same, they line up in several different looks. They do a great job of hiding what is coming (run vs. pass) . Really impressed with that. There were a few playes in the 2-3 personnel, but lined up the RB as a WR and even put him in motion.

- - Daelin Hayes is really living up to expectations at this point. Looks really fast and athletic. Just needs to stay healthy!

- Nearly a flawless first half. Both units really controlling their USC.

2nd half (49-14)

- Tony Jones looked good in a limited role. Being able to give Adams a break may be the reason he had enough giddy up to break that 70 yard run.

- Wow, Wimbush is dangerous on the run!

- Tranquil had himself a game and seems like the perfect fit for Rover.

- Julian Love had a very quiet game. I think they only threw his way 2-3 times. They seemed to pick on Watkins. Of course, I believe Watkins was intentionally playing soft coverage to avoid giving up the big play.

- I assume Bilal is hurt!?

- Great to see the DL be able to rotate in the second unit. Getting important reps (Hinish, Kareem, MTA, Ade Odijen, Jamir Jones)

- More of the 1-1 personnel. Clearly ND's preference

- If ND had to line up with its best defense, I think it goes:
SDE J. Hayes
DE1 Bonner
DE3 Tillery
WDE Hayes
MIKE Morgan
Buck Coney (I'd rather see Coney than Martini)
Rover Tranquil
CB Love
CB Watkins
FS Coleman
SS - Elliott
subalum75
Defensively, I was super impressed with Tillery. MVP of the defense.

Tranquil was also a stud.

Hayes and Okwara are really starting to emerge and make an impact.

The defense is really playing hard. You can tell they know they their responsibilities. They are playing fast and confident.

On offense, I like what Tony Jones is bringing to the table. He has surpassed what I expected him to contribute.

ESB needs help. Hopefully Stepherson and Mack continue to progress.
ndvalue
Concur with everything said.

Everyone's thoughts about USC spiking the ball after one of their two TDs. Why wasn't a penalty flag thrown?

Also beautiful was that ND answered with a TD everytime USC scored.
subalum75
I didn't notice the spike.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.