ISD Weekend Briefing

Jan. 30, 2017

Upcoming News
Oklahoma S Evan Fields will announce his decision at 11:30 a.m. (EST) today. His finalists are Notre Dame, Arizona State, Oregon, UCLA, Kansas State and TCU.

Arizona DE Jalen Harris and Hawaii DE Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa are both expected to make decisions today or tomorrow.

It was a busy weekend for Notre Dame and at Irish Sports Daily. The Irish landed a pair of commitments of two of their three official visitors this weekend, Kansas WR Jafar Armstrong, who flipped from Missouri, and North Carolina K Jonathan Doerer, who had been committed to Maryland.

Full Stories On Armstrong's Commitment
Armstrong Flips To ND (FREE)

Armstrong Adds Something ND Doesn't Have ($)

Excerpt

When long time commit Jordan Pouncey decommitted back in December, it put the Irish coaching staff in a bind going forward. With only Michael Young remaining at wide receiver and Mike Denbrock departing as wide receivers coach, the thinking was that Notre Dame would be lucky to just land another body to fill out the numbers at the position in the 2017 recruiting class.

In an unusual recruiting twist, the Irish actually upgraded with a replacement for Pouncey when they added former Missouri commit Jafar Armstrong, a prospect that is more accomplished at making contested catches and has better hands. He has some things in is game that he needs to improve, but he has the potential to win in ways that Notre Dame didn't win on the field last season. For that reason alone, he is a very good pickup and can potentially fill a void that the offense has been lacking.

Full Stories On Doerer's Commitment
Kicking Guru: Irish Getting A Good One (FREE)

ND Too Much For Doerer To Turn Down ($)

Excerpt
Jonathan Doerer wasn't excited about the way he had to go about it, but the 2017 North Carolina kicker is thrilled to be heading to Notre Dame.

The South Mecklenburg High School standout had been committed to Maryland since July, but when new Notre Dame special teams coach Brian Polian contacted him, he knew he had to listen.

"Coach Polian reached out to me and told me he wanted me to come on an official visit," said Doerer, who took that visit this weekend.

"When I got there, I really was able to learn all about the University and the prestige. From that perspective, with academics and athletics, it made it a pretty simple decision."

Still, he felt bad about having to bolt on the Terrapins just days before National Signing Day.

"It's definitely not ideal," he said. "It's something I wish I could have gone about doing a little better. It's something I had to do, it's the right decision for my family and I. Once I got on campus, I felt I had to go to Notre Dame. There was only one way to do that and that's not easy, but it had to be done."

Notre Dame also impressed its other official visitor, 2017 Arizona DE commit Jalen Harris. His father spoke with Irish Sports Daily afterward.

ND, BK Impress Harris & Family (FREE)

Our weekly feature sampling premium content included updates on LB/S Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Harris

Recruiting Week In Review (FREE)

Brock Wright's head coach spoke to ISD about the tight end from Texas, who enrolled at Notre Dame earlier this month.

Coach: Wright Brings Rare Combination To Position

2017 Notre Dame LB commit David Adams dropped his senior highlights.

A top 2018 Florida athlete dropped in at Notre Dame during a Midwestern spring.

2018 FL ATH Enjoys Midwest Swing (FREE)

Huge Hoops game tonight for the Irish, who host Duke. Hear what Mike Brey, VJ Beachem and Steve Vasturia have to say.

ISD Video: Brey, Beachem, Vasturia