Story Poster
Notre Dame Football Recruiting

Junior Day Update: Braden Lenzy

February 12, 2017

Notre Dame’s Junior Day was a small group, but it also meant the coaching staff could spend plenty of time with those in attendance. 2018 receiver Braden Lenzy made the trip from Oregon this weekend and it didn’t disappoint the four-star prospect.

“It was really good,” Lenzy stated. “There weren’t too many kids there, so it was personal. Coach Alexander wasn’t there because of personal issues, but I got to talk to Coach Long and Coach Kelly. I talked to Coach Kelly for a quite a bit.”

Lenzy has many connections in the Midwest, as both of his parents are originally from the area and the Tigard star got a feel for the Midwest hospitality.

“It was my father and I coming up,” said Lenzy. “His family friend from childhood, Kara and her son, came up with us. It was just a great trip. The people were very genuine and it gives a great family feel. It’s exactly what you think of the Midwest with very nice people.”  

When I was there I immediately knew what he was talking about. You kind of step on campus and you feel it. - 2018 WR Braden Lenzy
The 6-foot, 165-pounder was excited about the trip, but Lenzy was even more intrigued with what he was going to see after a conversation with Notre Dame’s lead 2018 recruiter, Markese Stepp.

“I had heard about the campus and when I was talking to Markese – I asked him why he committed and asking him questions because so many guys had committed early,” explained Lenzy. “He told me that ‘You don’t know until you’re there.’ I was like ‘What does that even mean?’

“He just told me that when I got to Notre Dame I would feel it. When I was there I immediately knew what he was talking about. You kind of step on campus and you feel it.”

Stepp has made sure Lenzy know he is wanted by Notre Dame’s commits and on Saturday, it was a chance for them to really get to know each other.

“We were just talking,” stated Lenzy. “He’s a pretty cool dude and obviously very talented. He made it very clear he wanted me to play with him. It was a great pitch. I am really excited about Notre Dame and definitely considering them up there.”

It’s not a surprise to hear Notre Dame did a great job on a visit, but Lenzy was just blown away by the people. The Oregon native was impressed with how nice the people were, but also how everyone made him feel special.

“The trip was a lot of fun,” Lenzy said. “The one thing Notre Dame did better than anyone was just that everyone there knew who I was. Whether it was the person opening a door, recruiting coordinator, a recruit or current player, basically everyone knew who I was. I felt that was pretty special.”

One of the highlights for Lenzy was his meeting with Brian Kelly. The head coach made calculated moves that Lenzy noticed and really felt itafterward.

“He made it clear that I am a top target,” Lenzy said. “He explained one of their focuses was to go after me and I appreciated that. I feel a lot of coaches avoid the topic of where you stand. I never mentioned it and it was brought up. It was like ‘This is where we see you. This is where we want you. What do you think?’

“He put it in my court and I thought that was pretty cool.”

With a lot of speed and length, Lenzy could end on either side of the ball in college. Todd Lyght has let Lenzy know he could be an elite corner, but the pitch on Saturday was on the offensive side of the ball.

“They see me as a wide receiver and were referencing me to being similar to Will Fuller,” he explained. “They made it clear they want me to do kickoff return right when I get there. It looks like a pretty good situation.”

Overall, Lenzy was extremely impressed with his first Notre Dame experience and it’s one that he won’t soon be forgetting as the Irish might have just set the bar for the West Coast prospect.  

“I definitely will say they moved up,” said Lenzy. “I consider them up there with some of the teams I’ve been considering highly. Just being on the campus gives them a whole new vision on how I see myself there.

“I think today was a really good day for both of us.” 
Discussion from...

Junior Day Update: Braden Lenzy

16,361 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by subalum75
coachscott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coach Alexander not there because of "personal issues"? Anything going on there? Is he finalizing his move (total grasping at straws on my part)? That seems bizarre when there were so few guys coming and one at least was a primary target at his position.
army72
Number 25 in the picture; wasn't that Rocket's number?
mattfreeman
Staff
coachscott said:

Coach Alexander not there because of "personal issues"? Anything going on there? Is he finalizing his move (total grasping at straws on my part)? That seems bizarre when there were so few guys coming and one at least was a primary target at his position.
Grasping at straws.

He could have a child sick or being born, family member pass away...not everything in life is about football even with a football coach.
txirish74
army72 said:

Number 25 in the picture; wasn't that Rocket's number?
yup
subalum75
My favorite prospect in this class. Unreal speed!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.