Story Poster
Notre Dame Football Recruiting

Mabry Talks Notre Dame Commitment

February 14, 2017

2018 Brentwood (Tenn.) offensive lineman Cole Mabry took a visit over the week to South Bend to check out Notre Dame. The 6-foot-6, 265-pounder wanted to go into the visit with open eyes and ears to see what the Irish program could offer him.

On Tuesday, Mabry committed to Notre Dame, but it wasn’t an impulse decision.

“After the visit, I was really emotional and really pumped,” Mabry told Irish Sports Daily. “I just loved it up there. I didn’t really want it to be an emotional decision. I gave it a few days to think it over and Notre Dame really hit all the criteria I was looking for.

“I closed down my recruitment and committed.”

The three-star prospect had a sense of relief and emotion in his voice after the commitment.

“It’s a great feeling and I feel like I found a great spot,” stated Mabry. “I don’t want to go anywhere else.”

The Tennessee native called offensive line coach Harry Hiestand and got some rare emotion of the hard-nosed coach.

“He was pretty excited,” laughed Mabry. “He told they wanted me at Notre Dame. He said my spot could never be taken away unless I go somewhere else or my grades fail or something on me. They aren’t going to take my spot, so it’s reassuring that I am going there.”

The other commit and people around Notre Dame had a massive impact on Mabry’s decision. The ability to feel at home with the school and his future teammates put the Irish over the top.

“I got to hang out with a lot of the offensive lineman after the basketball game,” he said. “I thought they were great guys and I had a good time with them.

“I also talked to Phil Jurkovec a lot on the visit. He’s a great guy. I know I am going to be around good people up there.”

Jurkovec is Notre Dame’s prize five-star prospect and Mabry is fired up to protect his quarterback in South Bend.

“It’s a cool feeling,” said Mabry. “It’s really awesome and I am looking forward to it.”

Discussion from...

Mabry Talks Notre Dame Commitment

11,494 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CTirish
mnewlon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did he play OL? That film clip is all as a DT.
TheIrishLegion
Try playing it again maybe? It comes up as OL for me so I'm assuming it's him and correct.
mnewlon
Yep. First time through it was #55 on D. Looked a little smaller than 6'6".
CTirish
Looks like the wrong kid's film
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.