The more I think about it

3,464 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mike Frank
Mike Frank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The more I think this season is likely going to come down to Mike Elston and the job he does. I don't want to put the whole season on him, as that is not fair as it's a team game, but if he can get that group to play better than they have, this team has a shot to be pretty good.

We know that when Kelly has a new QB, he tends to focus more on the running game.

ND has three quality running backs, and CJ Holmes can do a lot of things as well if called upon. Plenty of speed and power in this group, and Denson is a fantastic RB coach.

ND has two first round picks manning the left side. I think Mustipher has the potential to be a third round pick if not higher, and if Bars moves inside, he he has the talent to be at least a third round pick, if not higher. ND has 4 returning starters at OL. The other starter should have at least elite talent.

ND has all their TEs returning plus Alize Jones, who has first round talent.

EQ has at least second round talent, if not higher, if he becomes more consistent. Stepherson, if he can focus and develop, can be a fantastic player. At worst, Claypool is a quality third option. CJ Sanders should be better. Boykin is at least solid.

I think Wimbush is a much better runner and running threat than Kizer. The strong run game, plus Wimbush's threat to run, should open a lot of play-action for Wimbush, and he won't need to be so razor-sharp on reads, progressions, which will help him ease in as a passer. Wimbush sure looked accurate in first practice out.

We know ND's corners will only improve, and they've got talent and a lot of confidence after playings last year. Having Elko coach the safeties about his defense has to help that group, and Elliott and Studstill, on paper, are the two most athletic they've had in awhile.

I think the linebackers are really going to shine this year. I think Clark Lea has shown his linebackers can play. He's taken a lot of average guys and made them very productive. I think this unit will surprise. They have a lot of talent in this group, and good numbers as well as returning experience.

So it's going to come down to D-line play, I think. If team can run on ND, it's going to be a long season. I am most concerned on the interior two players. Elston is going to have to pull out the best he can get out of Tillery, Cage, Bonner, Taylor, Dew-Treadway, etc.

I'm hopeful that some of the young pass rushers develop. I think the strong side end should be solid with Hayes, Trumbetti and Kareem as options. The drop end is going to be interesting as I love the talent they have there, but they're young, largely inexperienced, and probably under-developed physically at this point.

Pagano would help so much in stopping the run, and showing these guys what champions practice and play like. We've got to pray ND lands him!

But, if they can get some good D-line play, I think this team has a chance to rebound this year.

Thoughts?

Mike
fisher
The trenches will determine Kelly's success or failure. Can Elko and Elston tune up the Dline (unsure about Elston)?

And can Harry Hiestand get the oline to play better? He sucked last season as both the run game and pass pro took a great number of hits. The jury is still out on Harry. If he fails, Kelly must replace him, i.e., if Kelly survives Harry's failure.

Can't assume that one off-season of S&C will cure all that was wrong with last year's Oline w/r to getting whipped and worn out. The Oline was not a cohesive unit. This was not due to poor S&C, but bad chemistry and poor management. This is on Harry.
subalum75
Mike, I agree with just about everything you said. I am a firm believer that you must control the line of scrimmage if you are going to be a true contender. The OL should be strong. A lot of pressure on the DL to step up their games. Not a lot of talent or depth at the position. Elston has his work cut out for him.

Landing Pagano would be HHUUGGGEEEE!!! I have to admit, that he was a solid player at Clemson and is still looking to transfer is a red flag to me. Just seems strange.

You didn't mention McKinley at WR. What is his status for the spring and where he lands on the depth chart? Is he already at a "now or never" stage of his ND career?

I thought he was an excellent addition when he committed. I was disappointed with his 2016 performance. Granted, he was a True Frosh.
ratdiggler
McKinley will be fine, working his way back from injury. No need to hit that panic button yet Sub!
irishtodd
What is Pagano's decision timeline?
Mike Frank
Staff
irishtodd said:

What is Pagano's decision timeline?
He hasn't given a timeline. He said he plans to take visits to Oregon, Oklahoma and Arkansas I believe.

Sounds like it could drag on for a bit.

Mike
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.