QB Arm Strength

3,199 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ejsjr
ejsjr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was disappointed to read that Ian Book's arm strength is comparable to Tommy Reese's. Can QB's increase their arm strength through weight training or other training programs, or are they just pretty much stuck with what God gave them?
mattfreeman
Staff
Tommy's arm was good enough to win a lot of games and could have won a lot more. Accuracy is what matters and Book has good placement. It's a matter of not throwing the balls he knows he can't hit. Tommy tried that too many times.

A QB doesn't need to be able to throw it 80 yards. Book hasn't been on campus a year so his deep is going to get better once he learns his receivers and gets used to the speed of the game. Once he is comfortable, the deep ball is going to get better because he can take his time and not just throw it up there.
ejsjr
Steve Walsh, if you remember him, proved with Miami that in college you don't need overwhelming arm strength to be a very good quarterback. Walsh was exposed when he went to the pros. I remember watching him play as a pro and being amazed that he could have been such a successful college quarterback with such a relatively weak arm. I'm sure he could have knocked my teeth out with the ball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.