What's the backup plan for

3,940 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gautrp
fisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dallas Gant when he decides to go to tosu?

If he were so enamored with UND, he would have committed by now.
Mike Frank
Staff
ND has offered a lot of linebackers, and they already have one committed. The most they'll take is 3. It's only just turned April, so I think you could say the same thing about Ohio State or Michigan or any of those schools, correct? If he was so enamored with Ohio State, wouldn't he just pull the trigger?

I'm sure he wants to find out more about each school, their coaches, their players, and where he fits in best.

Mike
ratdiggler
He's set to announce his commitment in a month (on his bday). Sounds like ND put up a good fight, but all signs are pointing to OSU right now...

Still, I agree w Mike here. Elkinawy runs a 2 LB system, we already have a stud in MB, and Ovie opened eyes at The Opening regional in Chicago last week. He may be more Rover than LB, but I do not see ND in any need of hitting the panicky button right now. To be honest, even if he does pick OSU I think ND has put themselves in a great position. Go out there and let Elko show what he can do w the Defense - and you never know! Maybe he reconsiders...
fisher
The small timey recruiters for ND were unable to pull in Gant. ND had its run of luck in Feb/March. Now ND will
be in the desert for awhile, at least until the first 4 or 5 games of the season.

Win, and the kids will come. Lose and ND will recruit like Wake Forest and Memphis.
5th qtr irish
fisher said:

The small timey recruiters for ND were unable to pull in Gant. ND had its run of luck in Feb/March. Now ND will
be in the desert for awhile, at least until the first 4 or 5 games of the season.

Win, and the kids will come. Lose and ND will recruit like Wake Forest and Memphis.
I'd say it is pretty impressive the new staff is able to be in the game with Ohio kids like Gant coming off a 4-8 season. They have 12 pretty strong commitments so far. I'm ecstatic with recruiting given the circumstances.

I can understand being super frustrated about last season and a feeling that Kelly should have been jettisoned. Swarbrick has decided to let Kelly reset and I like the moves he has made so far. Flat out, if they want to close on top players from now until signing day they need to win this fall and win big. I don't know if they will or not but that is what is necessary.

ND is recruiting at top 15 level over the last 3 years or so. They need to perform at that level or better to recruit at a top 5 level. They have laid the foundation for a very strong 2018 class if they win this fall. Ohio State and Michigan are playing at a top 10 level. Getting your share of studs in the Midwest is quite an accomplishment given they were 4-8. You can argue they should never have been 4-8 and I would agree. I like that they have put themselves in position with a lot of quality players and will continue to try and stay in the game for the next four months so they can hopefully show they have fixed things this fall. As long as we are in the game with top recruits in the fall, we will close some with a strong season.
mattfreeman
Staff
fisher said:

Sheesh. You do realize Notre Dame nor any school is going to stay as hot as Notre Dame was in February? There isn't enough room to take 2-3 kids every week.

ND was completely out of the race for Gant in the fall and are back in his Top 2. I also thought he was committing on May 16th, so I'd wait to throw a fit until he actually commits.

Notre Dame is working on the timelines of the recruit, as every school is. A lot of the elite talent wait and will commit towards the end of the cycle after they have a chance to take official visits and build more relationships with coaches.

Not even schools like Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State can force kids to move up their timelines. They want to see certain schools and make a decision. Just because Urban Meyer wants a kid to commit now doesn't mean that's going to happen. There are tons of kids Urban has pushed to commit and they haven't.

ratdiggler
I don't think I'd call ND's staff small time recruiters, rather they had a hard sell. I think they should be given credit for working their tails off and getting ND in the conversation at this point in the game. It was stated on several boards that ND was not even under consideration while BVG was recruiting him (well, if that's what we call it). Yet ND is now in the top 2 w less than 3 weeks before decision date. Plus Elko/Lea are still making house calls. I don't see him announcing for ND on the 16th, but it was not for a lack of effort on the staff's part...

Now if they produce on the field, who knows what happens down the line. And like I mentioned before, we still have OO who could be Rover or Buck depending on how he fills out. And while they may not be Gant, ND should be a player for kids like J Lamb, C McGrone, and B Asamoah.

But you are right - winning will help
gautrp
fisher said:

I wish they could get some of the players that play for WF or Memphis.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.