Why is Kalon Gervin still visiting

6,032 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mattfreeman
fisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the SBT, he just finished a series of visits last week.

So he must not be fully committed to UND.

Therefore 10 commitments and a maybe.
mattfreeman
Staff
He is solid.

His high school took a massive road trip visiting various programs, including Notre Dame.
fisher
Duh, I r a dumbass!
goldhelmet25
mattfreeman said:

He is solid.

His high school took a massive road trip visiting various programs, including Notre Dame.

Well, at least he WAS solid. Not anymore. I wonder what changed for him.

Our old nemesis, Urban Meyer? Harbaugh?

Regardless, Todd Lyght needs to work it even harder now. He needs to get the board expanded and guys in here for summer visits ASAP. He also needs to get high quality players, like Gervin, not just average guys. If Griffith goes to tOSU, which I think he will - at least eventually - ND is in big trouble if they have two consecutive whiff classes at CB.
gautrp
fisher said:

According to the SBT, he just finished a series of visits last week.

So he must not be fully committed to UND.

Therefore 10 commitments and a maybe.
Well, you have commitments and maybe's. You never know who are the real commitments, the maybe's and the one's that will decommit.
ratdiggler
Watch their actions, don't listen to their words.... too bad cuz now we're back to square one w CB recruiting. Griffith is trending Irish but sounds like he could be more of a Safety or Rover.

Staff, who do you see ND going after at CB now? DJ was just offered and sounds promising, but I'd say we really need 3 this cycle after whiffing last go...
mattfreeman
Staff
ratdiggler said:

Watch their actions, don't listen to their words.... too bad cuz now we're back to square one w CB recruiting. Griffith is trending Irish but sounds like he could be more of a Safety or Rover.

Staff, who do you see ND going after at CB now? DJ was just offered and sounds promising, but I'd say we really need 3 this cycle after whiffing last go...
Gervin wasn't doing anything other committed kids don't do. When high schools make trips to colleges, commits typically go because they want to hang out with their friends and out of town with their boys.

I know Gervin even told people he was more than happy with ND less than two days before his decommitment.

I'd imagine the West Coast CBs will get the heat dialed up more.
ratdiggler
Is there any indication on why he decomitted?

Regarding the west coast CBs, any names in particular?
mattfreeman
Staff
ratdiggler said:

Is there any indication on why he decomitted?

Regarding the west coast CBs, any names in particular?
He wanted to enjoy the recruiting process and take visits.

Kyler Gordon
D'Angelo Mckenzie - Can play CB/S
Brendan Radley-Hiles

Then other names that will be a bigger focus will be:
DJ Johnson
Christian Tutt
Tre Douglas
Anthony Cook
D'Shawn Jamison

Zonairish
I think if he stayed it would have been a great get. But no need to panic, there are plenty of players at CB just as good
gautrp
Zonairish said:

I think if he stayed it would have been a great get. But no need to panic, there are plenty of players at CB just as good
Maybe so. But is ND going to get any?
ratdiggler
mattfreeman said:

Kyler Gordon
Brendan Radley-Hiles

DJ Johnson
Christian Tutt
Tre Douglas
Anthony Cook
D'Shawn Jamison

Thanks! How would you rate these kids, where does ND have traction, and who do you think ND might actually land? I know BRH, Tutt, and Cooks are all outstanding players and have shown interest in ND, but I feel like the possibility of actually landing them is more of a pipe dream. DJ sounds like the best bet, but not sure on the rest. Also, I've read that Houston G. wants to play CB in college but a lot of folks are projecting him as a S/Rover. What do you think is his best fit? And how do you think the KG decommit helps/hurts our chances w HG, if it has any impact at all?

Thanks again for the feedback! I will say, read an interesting quote from Gervin regarding his decommitment where he said "Some stuff kind of fell off a little bit with the coaches". Sounds like more than just wanting to enjoy the process, but it's a really vague statement. Possibly a bit high maintenance? Not sure if you can blame the coaches as they have been trying to work on other targets, and as you stated KG was adamant about being solid in his commitment up until 2 days before decommitting. How much hand holding and re-assuring is needed? And at the same time I can't help but wonder w all the talk about Lyght being on the hot seat due to Secondary play and recruiting, is this on him? Not sure if we'll ever really know, just like the great mystery that is Graham. But it is a bit suspicious that KG jumps ship right after visiting Oregon, the school that landed Graham immediately after he stepped off his silent to ND. Not trying to bash the staff at all, or play debbie downer, but those are two quality recruits we could use.

Still,, and Zona pointed out it is early and I'd much rather have this happen now that in Jan/Feb. Plus as you posted, there are a ton of quality options the staff is in contact with. They just need to show up on Saturdays and show these kids this is something they should WANT to be a part of!
mattfreeman
Staff
ratdiggler said:

mattfreeman said:

Kyler Gordon
Brendan Radley-Hiles

DJ Johnson
Christian Tutt
Tre Douglas
Anthony Cook
D'Shawn Jamison

Thanks! How would you rate these kids, where does ND have traction, and who do you think ND might actually land? I know BRH, Tutt, and Cooks are all outstanding players and have shown interest in ND, but I feel like the possibility of actually landing them is more of a pipe dream. DJ sounds like the best bet, but not sure on the rest. Also, I've read that Houston G. wants to play CB in college but a lot of folks are projecting him as a S/Rover. What do you think is his best fit? And how do you think the KG decommit helps/hurts our chances w HG, if it has any impact at all?

Thanks again for the feedback! I will say, read an interesting quote from Gervin regarding his decommitment where he said "Some stuff kind of fell off a little bit with the coaches". Sounds like more than just wanting to enjoy the process, but it's a really vague statement. Possibly a bit high maintenance? Not sure if you can blame the coaches as they have been trying to work on other targets, and as you stated KG was adamant about being solid in his commitment up until 2 days before decommitting. How much hand holding and re-assuring is needed? And at the same time I can't help but wonder w all the talk about Lyght being on the hot seat due to Secondary play and recruiting, is this on him? Not sure if we'll ever really know, just like the great mystery that is Graham. But it is a bit suspicious that KG jumps ship right after visiting Oregon, the school that landed Graham immediately after he stepped off his silent to ND. Not trying to bash the staff at all, or play debbie downer, but those are two quality recruits we could use.

Still,, and Zona pointed out it is early and I'd much rather have this happen now that in Jan/Feb. Plus as you posted, there are a ton of quality options the staff is in contact with. They just need to show up on Saturdays and show these kids this is something they should WANT to be a part of!
Not sure in terms of where they rank or where Notre Dame ranks. Obviously, Radley-Hiles is committed to Nebraska, but I'd be shocked if he didn't take some visits.

Notre Dame just has to figured out what Griffith wants to hear and find the selling point ND/OSU haven't hit yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.