Story Poster
Notre Dame Football Recruiting

BREAKING: 2018 DT Ja'mion Franklin Commits to Notre Dame.

June 6, 2017

Notre Dame is back on the board as 2018 North Caroline (Md.) defensive tackle Ja’mion Franklin has committed to Notre Dame. The 6-foot-3, 305-pounder chose the Irish over Boston College, Duke, Northwestern, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wisconsin.

The three-star prospect looks to be the next great Notre Dame interior player, as he has been made well-aware of some of the current NFL players defensive line coach Mike Elston has coached.

“They were just preaching to me about how I fit really well in their scheme and how I have that grit like former players they’ve had like Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix and guys like that,” Franklin said. “It was great to be compared to guys like that.”

The tipping point in the recruitment was the atmosphere Franklin found in South Bend during his March visit.

“It’s just the people there, and it’s just a great atmosphere,” Franklin said. “Obviously, Notre Dame has one of the best traditions that there’s ever been in college football. I just had a great time there. Coach Elston is a dude who is one of the greatest and I just I have a great relationship with those guys.”

Regarding position, the Notre Dame staff has left it open to Franklin and Jayson Ademilola to battle it out.

“They told me they just recruit d-tackles and whoever is the best pass rusher will be the three-tech and whoever is second best would be the nose guard,” stated Franklin. “They said they think I would fit anywhere on the D.”

The early decision provides some relief for Franklin, and he will now be able to prepare for his senior season stress-free.

“I don’t want to go into the season worrying about recruiting,” said Franklin. “It’s definitely a sigh of relief.”

Franklin and Ademilola join Justin Ademilola as Notre Dame’s defensive line commits in 2018.

"I watched his tape," said Jayson Ademilola. "I love how he plays with great energy. Can't wait to be his teammate."

The leader, Markese Stepp, echoed Ademilola's thoughts.

"He lays the wood," said Stepp. "We are getting a goon."

Discussion from...

BREAKING: 2018 DT Ja'mion Franklin Commits to Notre Dame.

33,171 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by irishkmg
jzappitelli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yessir!
irishdragon67
A goon?
Jlinton46!
I'm sure this young man is a great guy, but, come on he's barely a 3-star. Can Notre Dame not get high 4-stars? How do you compete against Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State etc. 247Sports has his composite score an 85.
magoo
jlinton46 said:

I'm sure this young man is a great guy, but, come on he's barely a 3-star. Can Notre Dame not get high 4-stars? How do you compete against Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State etc. 247Sports has his composite score an 85.

Morning, Debbie Downer.
magoo
irishdragon67 said:

A goon?

Between the hashes, we want a few goons. Especially in the trenches.
irishdragon67
Was just wondering if they meant goon or a good one. Ha
mattfreeman
Staff
Markese 100% said "goon."
RB
jlinton46 said:

Good Lord. Watch tape, read the article, let's give our new defensive coaches half a break. Barely misses being a 4 seems more accurate and that could change. I really like this recruit. Great potential and some terrific traits already.
teamnd
Loved him from get go...
jumps to top of my list as Fav's in class.

cannot wait to see Franklin and MTA playing side by side!!!! HUUUUUGGGGGEEEE!
bbixby
Expect him to jump up to a four star
after The Opening
txirish74
bbixby said:

after The Opening
Does he already have an invite?
txirish74
txirish74 said:

bbixby said:

after The Opening
Does he already have an invite?
(edit) Just saw in the related article he does. Definitely not your typical three star!
flashwave
irishdragon67 said:

A goon?
Definitely a generational use of the word. Not meant in the literal sense, but between the lines. I love it as we need some goons on Saturdays
flashwave
jlinton46 said:

Have you watched his film? I could care less about his level of competition, he's a stud
irishdragon67
Thanks Matt, just sounded funny
Jlinton46!
Morning to you, too!
ndusn
Before anyone gets hung up on the "only 3 star" crap, remember the story of Stan Smagala................
Frankbuz
USC just lost a 3* DT who flipped to Oklahoma. Guess they are not elite schools
ndman
Kid reminds me of Sheldon Day coming out of HS, I am excited about this kid, although I don't quite think he's 6'3.
sneakypete74
i'll take him. if he has good upside and works hard over the next year he could be a legitimate 4 star player.
irishkmg
We just recruit DTs and if they can rush they are 3T and if not they are 1T/NG?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.