Story Poster
Photo by Rick Kimball/ISD
Notre Dame Football

BREAKING: TE Tyler Luatua Granted Medical Disqualification

June 7, 2017

Notre Dame tight end Tyler Luatua will see his football career come to an end. The senior will go on medical scholarship and will hang up his cleats.

It’s always a difficult decision for a player to step away from football, said Brian Kelly in statement. “Most importantly, Tyler will still have an opportunity to earn his degree from the University.

The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder was in the news last spring as he announced his transfer to BYU but then decided against it and returned to the Notre Dame program.

Luatua chose the Irish over Auburn, Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, and UCLA. The California native ended his prep career playing in the Under Armour All-American Game in 2014.

At Notre Dame, Luatua saw action in 10 games as a freshman, including a significant role as a lead blocker in the Music Bowl victory over LSU in 2014.

As a sophomore, Luatua played in 10 games and was used almost strictly as a blocking tight end. Luatua played in all 12 games in 2016 but did not record a reception.

Notre Dame will turn to fifth-year senior Durham Smythe, senior Nic Weishar, junior Alizè Mack, and freshman Brock Wright and Cole Kmet to fill out the position in 2017.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: TE Tyler Luatua Granted Medical Disqualification

12,238 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oc10spray
tdirish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's like ND joined the SEC
Lou10ant
This is how you make roster space.

Coupled with the P Money news, I would expect to see the transfer from Navy committing to us very soon. I think that would put us at 85, no?
thomas_hoefflin
Lou10ant said:

This is how you make roster space.

Coupled with the P Money news, I would expect to see the transfer from Navy committing to us very soon. I think that would put us at 85, no?

I believe we're at 83 right now so adding the navy transfer would put us at 84. If we don't lose anymore players, that's not a bad number.
Classof88
Whatajip. This kid could've paved the way if healthy. I'm very proud he'll get his sheepskin.
oc10spray
Choosing to retire for medical reasons when you have had concussion issues and being medicalled out because they need the scholly for a new recruit aren't the same thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.