Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

BREAKING: Alohi Gilman Transfers to Notre Dame

June 9, 2017

Notre Dame has landed Navy safety transfer Alohi Gilman after a weekend visit to South Bend.

“I’m extremely grateful to be a part of the Notre Dame family,” Gilman said in a statement. “I’m thankful to the coaching staff and the man above for not only believing in me, but also providing this opportunity. I’m excited for this next chapter in my journey.”

Irish head coach Brian Kelly feels Gilman is a huge addition on the field but also off the field.

“First of all, Alohi is a great fit here in terms of his character and also what he wants to achieve academically,” Kelly said. “Clearly, that’s primary in our recruiting. Secondly, in terms of his football fit, we got a good look of him against us last season. He plays the style of safety we want in this program. Alohi’s a run-and-hit safety that fits perfectly in the Mike Elko defense.”

As a freshman at Navy, Gilman recorded 76 tackles and five pass breakups in 2016. The Hawaii native also recorded a career-high of 12 tackles against Notre Dame on November 5, 2016.

Gilman attended the Naval Academy Prep School during 2015-16 before enrolling at the Naval Academy. The Hawaii native also earned all-state football honors in 2014 as a senior.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Alohi Gilman Transfers to Notre Dame

20,484 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by irishkmg
Rottie1003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Huuuuuge!
GulfCoastIrish
Looks like God might be starting to root for the Irish again...
JDAtlanta
Does he have to sit out a year?
CTirish
Can he play this season?
irishtank6900
Huge
NDZonie
It's been reported that he may be eligible to play right away.
jbdomer1
I am pretty sure I read that he has to sit out the season.
Pepe Silvia
muggsy16
Best transfer yet IMO.
shawneeki
Would he be able to apply to the NCAA to play right away as his reason for leaving Navy was the commitment to serve after graduation? Is that a legit reason? It seems more legit than our 5 star who ended up at UCLA.
muggsy16
I'm sure the NCAA will rule favorably on his immediate eligibility .... 8 years from now!
mattfreeman
Staff
He will have to sit out 2017 unless there is a loophole or petition through the NCAA. Not entirely sure they will find something as it was clear he was wanting to pursue football as a career.
Naptown ND
If he sits this year, he will be approaching or maybe even already 24 when he plays his last year. Big difference from 18 y.o. freshman at Safety.
tommyk79
It was reported that he maybe able to play this year due to Navy changing their policy to serve 2 years after graduating from the Naval Academy. When he was recruited, Navy's policy was that upon graduating a football player could purse a career in the NFL. Since he committed to Navy under that assumption the NCAA could view it as a hardship and not penalize him to set out a year.
cousin eddie
Here's hoping he goes 4-0 in the Notre Dame Navy game
ryanmc207
Yeeeaaaeeas!!!! (in Jack Nolan's voice)
mattfreeman
Staff
tommyk79 said:

It was reported that he maybe able to play this year due to Navy changing their policy to serve 2 years after graduating from the Naval Academy. When he was recruited, Navy's policy was that upon graduating a football player could purse a career in the NFL. Since he committed to Navy under that assumption the NCAA could view it as a hardship and not penalize him to set out a year.

Not going to happen.
ndusn
For those Coach Ken bashers on this board, he probably could have prevented this transfer to a team on their schedule. I think it speaks to his integrity and high regard for ND...............
irishkmg
Does he count against the 85 roster for the upcoming year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.