Ways to keep up in recruiting

3,460 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Marion Irish12
Marion Irish12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I constantly hear of all these cutting edge recruiting tactics performed by Michigan, Ohio state, Oregon, etc. and is frustrating not to see ND involved. So the reason we don't do satellite camps is that we want the kids on campus which I'm sure the stats they look at gives reason. If we push the 4 for 40 so hard, and are all about getting kids on campus, what are some creative things we could do? Lets take advantage of ND's Legacy! When a recruit and his parents come to campus we should put on a 40 year ND network show on for them. Once a year the staff should task the admin to find all of most successful Alumni: top executives of the most famous companies, entrepreneurs, and famous accomplished alumni in their respective fields. They should put on a presentation of who each of the above is what nd means to them and how they choose new employees for their companies and what it means to them when they see a candidate with a ND degree. I mean go all out, pay jerry jones and Yankee executives to come speak positively about Nd and how Steiner and Legends incorporates prospective students from the business school. Look we are never going to have bag men and reduce academic standards, so is this crazy? Your thoughts?
ratdiggler
Need to get Kelly more involved... Biggest difference I see when reading about these top recruits is HCs like Urban, Harbaugh, etc. are much more involved. Kelly did a great job hiring new coaches that are very hands on, and he has been "more" involved himself, but not enough. He needs to really apply himself... It starts at the top
mattfreeman
Staff
I think you can do something like the original poster stated but I am not sure that's going to be the difference in a recruitment. There are definitely kid's something like that will hit home with, but Notre Dame needs to take advantage of the NFL success.

Ronnie Stanley, Zack Martin, Tyler Eifert, Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith...you can make arguments that all are elite players, if not some of the best at their position in the NFL.

Will Fuller, Theo Riddick, Golden Tate, Manti Te'o, Stephon Tuitt, Jaylon Smith, and DeShone Kizer who are all significant names in the NFL right now.

However, when was the last time you saw Notre Dame promote the success of those guys in the NFL? Not much if at all and that includes during the season.

Education is important but the goal for almost each one of the kids Notre Dame offers is to get to the NFL. That's why Notre Dame and other schools are recruiting them. I don't think showing kids the educational benefits is going to hurt, but I also think Notre Dame can capitalize on an area that each kid they offer a scholarship can relate.
Marion Irish12
I agree across the board matt. I hear how Steve smith now has done internships at investment firms trying to educate himself and possiblly making a 2nd career in business. There is such a explosion of private schools and influx of atheletic scholarships in catholic and religious prep schools. There are so many more players with academic eligibility that nd can consider now more then ever. We see more and more early retirements from the NFL to preserve health and players now have the money to further there life in business etc then ever before. There is more then ever a message of become wealthy not rich among African American icon role models such as lebron, jay z, tyler Perry , etc. I actually see that this is at the cusp of top of mind awareness and with the right vehicle of alumni and icons, such colleges as duke, Stanford, and notre dame could have a piller in recruiting that most colleges won't have a answer for. We are all entering a era that we have never seen were there is a huge influx of pro athlete kids that ar becoming legitimate athletes and it seems to be with the era of concussions and the ya never now what going to happen has a impact on these fathers to push their kids towards top notch education first. Look Catholic high school already say this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.