Best College Football Team Ever?

17,875 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NDCrusader
Mike Frank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I always find this topic interesting to hear what people think. Some of us were not born to witness the '66 Irish, but we've been around for awhile. There have certainly been a lot of good ones, but.....

And it pains me to admit this, but I'd have to say the '95 Nebraska team was the best I ever saw.

A defense that was very stout, allowing just 13 points per game. Their offense averaged over 53 points per game. Seriously, over 53 points per game.

They beat the No. 2 team in the country at the end in a bowl game, Florida, 62-14, and it wasn't even that close.

True, they had some real questionable characters on that squad, including Lawrence Phillips, but can't deny their greatness.

What is interesting, however, is the entire team didn't produce many great pros, which is kind of surprising. They had a few like Grant Winstrom, but overall, hardly any did anything in the NFL.

I can't remember a better team than that one, however. They averaged 7 yards per carry as a team. Their O-line didn't give up a sack the entire year. That's nuts! Their D allowed on 2.5 yards per rush and just 30 percent 3rd down conversion.

That is some domination!

Mike
NDCrusader
On paper looking backwards there have been some Miami teams close but the '95 Nebraska will always be my vote.
koonja
If you had asked on January 8th, 2013 my answer would have been the 2012 Alabama team.

September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
jhiggins993
No way to definitively answer this question...the game has evolved so much. I was around to see the '66 Irish and they were the best team I ever saw. The offense scored 362 points in an era before all the rules changes that have favored the offense over the last 50 years. They gave up a total of 38 points all year and only 24 were on the defense. Six shutouts in 10 games. In the famous 10-10 tie with MSU they were playing without their #1 Center (George Goeddecke) #1 QB (Hanratty) and #1 RB (Nick Eddy) and still came back from a 10 point deficit to tie the game on the road. And for all that you couldn't convince my Dad that they were better than Leahy's '46-'49 teams that went 36-0-2.
koonja
I'm 30, and can only talk about the teams I remember. I would say the 2005 Longhorns, simply because I thought that USC team was the best team I had ever seen.

Could half of the Bama championship teams since beat them? Maybe, yeah. But in 2009 Texas almost beat Bama with a back up QB when Colt got hurt, so I can never tell how much I/we overrate the Bama teams.
September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
JDAtlanta
The 1947 ND team had 3rd teamers drafted by the NFL.
The 2012 Bama team that beat the Irish has to be up there.
Agree on the Huskers.
beaubenken
Yea, I think it's pretty hard to beat out that Nebraska squad in the modern era. Hell, the game has changed so much even since they played.
chrismcc7
Staff
Even though they didn't win the title, I don't think I've seen a team with as much firepower across the board as 2005 USC.
ndgipper
I was alive for the 66 team. That was a THE TEAM
last2no
jhiggins993 said:

No way to definitively answer this question...the game has evolved so much. I was around to see the '66 Irish and they were the best team I ever saw. The offense scored 362 points in an era before all the rules changes that have favored the offense over the last 50 years. They gave up a total of 38 points all year and only 24 were on the defense. Six shutouts in 10 games. In the famous 10-10 tie with MSU they were playing without their #1 Center (George Goeddecke) #1 QB (Hanratty) and #1 RB (Nick Eddy) and still came back from a 10 point deficit to tie the game on the road. And for all that you couldn't convince my Dad that they were better than Leahy's '46-'49 teams that went 36-0-2.

Great summary, jh. That would be my answer as well. In addition to my admitted general ND bias, I was a HS senior in '66; my application to ND was in and I was awaiting the results.

For a couple of years, there was a replay of the ND games that showed every play but cut out all time in between. Guy would get tackled, then a split second later you'd see them breaking the huddle for the next play. Got the whole game in 90 minutes, including commercials. Not sure if Lindsay Nelson was even the announcer. Anyway, pretty sure that '66 was one of the years they did that, and I remember watching them all and each was a delight. The six shutouts, as you mention, was the most impressive part.

jhiggins993
last2no said:

jhiggins993 said:

Great summary, jh. That would be my answer as well. In addition to my admitted general ND bias, I was a HS senior in '66; my application to ND was in and I was awaiting the results.

For a couple of years, there was a replay of the ND games that showed every play but cut out all time in between. Guy would get tackled, then a split second later you'd see them breaking the huddle for the next play. Got the whole game in 90 minutes, including commercials. Not sure if Lindsay Nelson was even the announcer. Anyway, pretty sure that '66 was one of the years they did that, and I remember watching them all and each was a delight. The six shutouts, as you mention, was the most impressive part.

And they were a blocked punt vs Navy away from making it six shutouts in a row and seven out of ten overall!
gary74
66 Irish all the way. Gave up 38 points in 10 games. 10-10 tie with MSU be damned. No Hanratty. No Nick Eddy. No George Goedecki...all All Americans.
I believe the IRISH HAD 10-12 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team AA's. Both college and NFL Hall of Famers. Page, Lynch, et. Al.
Of course the game has changed drastically over time but...just sayin.
Gary74
cardova08
Can't believe no one has mentioned the 2001 Miami team..it's almost astounding to see the guys that both started and guys that couldn't get on the field that went on to become NFL superstars. Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow, Frank Gore, Antrel Rolle, Vince Wilfork...yeah none of those guys could even get on the field. They had 17 future first round picks on that team...17!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team
NDCrusader
NDCrusader said:

On paper looking backwards there have been some Miami teams close but the '95 Nebraska will always be my vote.
That's one of the Miami teams I was referring to.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.