Best 3-star of Kelly Era

9,507 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by InLeaWeTrust
koonja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I feel like when ND get a commit from a 3-star, we, as fans, always assume we got a steal/diamond in the ruff. I'm more skeptical of this, especially when the offer list isn't impressive.

Who is the best 3-star Kelly has signed? I'd say Mathias Farley. Chris Brown was another that came to mind. Will Fuller would be, but he snatch a 4-star at the last minute I believe.
September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
NDCrusader
Nic Martin?

CJ Prosise depending on how you define a 3 star.

Julian Love and Kevin Stepherson might lay claim to it if future returns follow current production.

A LOT of guys from '17 could be in the conversation down the line. I really like JOK and JGH's potential.

... and he did sign Coach Tom Rees too.
mattfreeman
Staff
Matthias Farley, Nick Martin, Romeo Okwara, and Chris Brown come to mind.

It likely would have been Everett Golson without a question if he hadn't missed a year.
Mike Frank
Staff
I think if you look at just one year's worth of evidence, it would be CJ Prosise.

Nick Martin was pretty consistent, but I don't think he made as big of an impact as CJ did in his last year at ND.

I liked Farley, but he was very up and down as a player, but you never questioned his effort or want to.

Mike
koonja
I thought CJ snuck a 4th star at the end, so I excluded him from my consideration. Never even thought of Nick Martin.

I think Corey Robinson would have been the best one had he finished.
September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
jamie uyeyama
Staff
As have been mentioned, Prosise and Martin both up there.

Bennett Jackson was a 3 star WR that ended up being a two year starter and captain at CB. Austin Collinsworth was a pretty good safety when he was healthy, which wasn't often enough.

I think Julian Love will end up being the best out of the 3 stars he's signed.
mniemann
How about Kona Schwenke... he played well above his 3 star rating.
jamie uyeyama
Staff
mniemann said:

Yeah, he was solid. ND could have really used him in '14, but they had to play him because of low numbers early in his career. Never really a consistent starter, though. Good rotational DL that would have played a lot more if Louix Nix wasn't in front of him.
gautrp
mniemann said:

How many career tackles and sacks did he have?
ndsean44
Welcome behind the wall Koon.

Wasn't Shembo a 3-star? 247 has him rated in the low 80's. Don't remember him being rated that low.
buffaloirish1
What about Tommy Rees? Pretty impactful 3* if you ask me.
sdnd1
ndsean44 said:

Welcome behind the wall Koon.

Wasn't Shembo a 3-star? 247 has him rated in the low 80's. Don't remember him being rated that low.
He was a four star on Rivals.
mattfreeman
Staff
Josh Adams was a three-star in a few rankings. He could end up being up there.
BARNEYM
beaubenken
I think at this point in time you have to go with Nick Martin. 50th overall in the draft...pretty much all you have to say.
tdirish
If we are including the 2010 class, Prince Shembo has to be in the discussion. This discussion shows that there haven't been very many three star recruits who turned into great players under Kelly, at least not guys who were composite three stars according to the 247 rankings.

Of the 62 composite 3*s signed from 2010 to 2016, here are the significant contributors from each class (does not necessarily mean they were great or even good players):
Love
Stepherson
Studstill
None
Martini
Robinson
Prosise
Brown
Okwara
Martin
McDaniel
Farley
Shembo
Rees
Spond
Jackson
Collinsworth

socalirish1
I would be more curious how many 3 stars Alabama or Ohio State put in the NFL.....this list is pretty weak when looking at NFL talent. You have to take 3 stars every year to fill the class, but what coaches are better and finding and developing them?? Not Kelly.
jamie uyeyama
Staff
socalirish1 said:

I would be more curious how many 3 stars Alabama or Ohio State put in the NFL.....this list is pretty weak when looking at NFL talent. You have to take 3 stars every year to fill the class, but what coaches are better and finding and developing them?? Not Kelly.
That's mostly because ND has signed more 4 stars under Kelly than 3 stars. They've done well at getting guys to the NFL overall.

Alabama has had some good players like Vinny Sunseri and Eddie Jackson over that same time, but almost all of their NFL guys have been 4 and 5 star guys. Ohio State has hit some homeruns with some 3 stars like Darron Lee, Malik Hooker, and Michael Thomas since 2010, but generally there best guys have been blue chip guys too.

The top guys are ranked that way for a reason. I think people can be critical of BK in recruiting and not landing enough of the top 50-100 guys, but the 3 star guys are supposed to mostly be solid players like Matthias Farley, Romeo Okwara, etc
qbtbdad
Tyler Eifert has to be Number 1...doesn't he...First round pick...all american...
mattfreeman
Staff
qbtbdad said:

Tyler Eifert has to be Number 1...doesn't he...First round pick...all american...
Weis guy, but Kelly did have a large part in his success.
ethan147
Matthias Farley, Nick Martin, Romeo Okwara, and Chris Brown rung a bell.

It likely would have been Everett Golson without an inquiry on the off chance that he hadn't missed a year.

Regards
Ethan @ VBuycars
We offer a good Cash For Cars in Burbank in Los Angeles.
InLeaWeTrust
It's gotta be CJ or N. Martin. I think you could make arguments for both. CJ finished his career with 2051 yds from scrimmage and 15 TD's, while N. Martin was drafted at 50th. Pretty good success stories and probably head and shoulders above the rest.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.