Story Poster
Notre Dame Basketball

Durham Embracing Opportunity at Notre Dame

July 11, 2017

Juwan Durham won’t see the court this season, but that doesn’t change the UConn transfer’s attitude or outlook on the opportunity he has in South Bend.

“It’s everything I expected, and I am grateful to be here,” Durham stated.

The 6-foot-11 power forward went through a second recruitment this spring and eventually settled on the Irish. Durham had existing relationships with sophomores John Mooney and TJ Gibbs, so it wasn’t a surprise to hear the atmosphere around the program, and the personal relationships sealed the deal for the Tampa native.

“I really felt comfortable with the coaching staff,” explained Durham. “They really kept in touch with my family, and that was big for me. They were going to help me make the decision.

“The players on the team were big because they kept it as a brotherhood and I got that vibe when I spent time with them. When I came on my visit, we all ate lunch and dinner together. I got a good vibe from the team.”

Head coach Mike Brey is known for a relaxed coaching style that caters to his players, and it was also a significant factor in Durham’s decision.

“I don’t want to say they are a loose group, but they let us play,” said Durham. “I was happy they let us play, and what we did in pickup on my visit, it was exactly how it is today. I was very fortunate to come here.”

While his Notre Dame career consists of about three practices, Durham has had fun competing against Bonzie Colson and is transitioning to his role for this year.

“I like playing against Bonzie, TJ, and those guys,” Durham said. “I am getting familiar with all the guys, and it’s really fun. I like competing against those guys, and I see where I need to get better. I see where I can help the team too.”

It will be tough to sit out a year, but Durham has already embraced his future and has set some goals to be ready for the 2018-19 season.  

“Instead of looking at it negatively, I am looking at it as a positive,” Durham explained. “I am using this year to get a lot stronger, which I should have done last year. I see this year as a chance to get acclimated to our offense and defense. I’ll be fine.

“I want to be at least to 235 pounds. I am at 218 right now, so I want to get to 235 by the time the summer starts. I want to keep that weight to put the ball on the ground more and to show I am versatile.”

Durham also is looking forward to working with Ryan Humphrey over the next year and believes his assistant coach will have him ready to go in a year.

“It’s really fun,” Durham said of working with Humphrey. “He has a lot of experience. I am grateful I get to workout with him. I feel he will take my game to the next level.”

Discussion from...

Durham Embracing Opportunity at Notre Dame

11,165 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by irvinejack
ruend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Djogo looks like he's ready to contribute this year in the video.
IIO
Djogo is going to be excellent. He's the anti VJ Beachem. Essentially the same measurables, but more filled out, more confident, plays at a higher intensity and with a higher compete level for longer and will be stronger than Beachem. Look for him to be a good wing defender, an excellent rebounder as a small forward, a good jump shooter and a guy who isn't afraid to attack the rim... Pat Connaughton type intangibles, with VJ Beachem's skill set and down the road, Tim Abromiatis' size. Pretty good all around player.

Brey knows he got an absolute steal in Djogo, he's simply raw at this point. As someone who saw him play multiple times in high school, I don't think that Nick Stauskas is an unrealistic long term comparison. They're from just down the road from each other and Playa very similar game.
greatcraic
ruend said:

Yes, he really jumps out in the video. Smooth, strong and athletic.
irvinejack
greatcraic said:

ruend said:

Yes, he really jumps out in the video. Smooth, strong and athletic.
His level of play suggests he may be a starter before the season's over.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.