Biggest Clichè for Notre Dame?

6,510 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by last2no
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
What do you think is the biggest clich each offseason for the Irish?

"Team is looking bigger, faster, and stronger?" - Although, it could very well be true this season.

"Offense should be one of the best in the country."

txirish74
"It's a 40 year decision"- even though it is true
novairish
"The team needs to start fast".... while starting fast in basically every game last year and struggling to hold on en route to 4-8.
irishdragon67
Love be to see...Just Finish!!
cuffs408
Notre Dame needs to be more physical between the tackles
ndsean44
Last year, one big red flag I noticed was when an expert, don't remember who, attended both Ohio State and ND's fall camps and noticed that Ohio State's players were more physically imposing and the practices appeared more physical.

At first, seemed like it was just one guy's opinion and even so, Ohio State is the barometer set for all schools, so we should be fine. But it's becoming blatantly apparent that the gap was a lot wider than he may have been letting on.

That being said, if spring practice was just a small taste of Balis' talents as a S&C coach, then this team may be full of tanks when they arrive for camp in August.

As for the "offense" clich, we can debate that the lack of elite success on offense stems from something getting in the way. QB controversy or injury/suspension and going back to the S&C issue, which far and away affected the lines the most. Having a dominant offense starts by having an offensive line where everybody is playing at a good weight and not having 3 guys playing at sub-290.
kevhurls
petecuozzo
I think the "40-year decision" concept has reached its saturation point...and I also think it is no longer accurate. I'd like to see us adopt the phrase "3-GEN decision". In other words, the recruit's decision to attend Notre Dame impacts not only him/herself, but his/her children and his/her grandchildren. Seem far-fetched? Not from my perspective, because I've lived it. I was the first in my family to graduate high school...and have earned 4 college degrees since, my undergraduate from Notre Dame in 1982. But this is not a story about collecting diplomas. Graduating from Notre Dame opened doors to a 35-year career in the corporate world. My two sons both graduated from prestigious universities; one is now an attorney and the other a mechanical engineer. And we've already set up college trusts for my 3 grandchildren ages 7, 3, and 1. The "40-year decision" is now more like a "100-year decision". THAT is the impact a Notre Dame education affords. -- Dr. Pete Cuozzo, ND '82
lydia
"this recruit is a Notre Dame kind of kid who really values education"
koonja
When recruits say "Academics are important" regarding their decisions. Most don't care about academics.
September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
ratdiggler
lydia said:

"this recruit is a Notre Dame kind of kid who really values education"

^^^^ This...
Chicubfannin
txirish74 said:

"It's a 40 year decision"- even though it is true
A cliche that you don't hear much anymore is the old chestnut "Notre Dame doesn't play for conference championships - we play for National Championships".
last2no
"The Irish will run the ball more this year."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.