Best Sporting Event(s) You Have Attended?

7,157 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dagman
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Baseball: I believe it was the Pirates the Reds played, but I think there was like nine homeruns combined. Wily Mo Pena hit three, including a grand slam. Forget the year but it was electric.

Football: It's a tie.
- Penn State vs Ohio State - 2005 at State College. White out, #6 vs #16. Tamba Hali sacked Troy Smith, forced a fumble and Penn State recovered. Insane atmosphere.

- Notre Dame vs Clemson. I have seen better games overall, but the intensity because of the tight game, the rain, and most of the crowd was insane. Penn State might have been loud as hell, but Clemson was unreal. I remember screaming at the guy next to me and neither one of us could hear what I was saying.

Basketball: Cavs vs Warriors - Christmas Day 2016. Kyrie hit a game winner with like a second left. Definitely a playoff feel.

Golf: 2012 Memorial Tournament. Tiger birdied 18 to win by 2 strokes. Just seeing the shots that guy hit all day was incredible.
lydia
ND vs. Miami 1988

Best game, regardless of sport, ever.
JDAtlanta
My single best sports day ever:
It was the second to last day of the 1992 Summer Olympics.
Oscar de la Hoya's gold medal match
Bronze medal basketball game
Afternoon if track and field finals.
The Dream Team's Gold medal game to finish off the night.
fiddler31
1988 Notre Dame versus Penn State. Not the greatest game in the world but my first game at Notre Dame...what a day!
thomasdepaoli
Notre Dame versus UCLA streak breaking game!
Incredible.
irishtony
October 16, 1999; USC vs ND . We were down 21-3 at half. We won 25-24. At the time it was the biggest comeback in stadium history. The celebration and drinks flowed until the wee hours of the next morning. It was a long but satisfying trip back to South Dakota. GO IRISH
OrlandoDomer76
I too was at the ND UCLA game. Best game I've ever attended.

I have a personal grand slam in golf. St. Andrews the last year Nicklaus played. PGA at Baltusral. 5 Masters. U.S. Opens at Oakland Hills, Shinnecock, Bethpage and Winged Foot. Each was super special just to be there.

I also was in Paris the year Lance Armstrong cheated his way to his final victory. LOL.
noblemic
January 23, 1971, Notre Dame basketball led by Austin Carr beats UCLA 89-82. January 19, 1974 ND basketball beats UCLA 71-70. What a team! Shumate, Brokow, Dantley, Clay, Duck Martin.
October 27, 1973, #8 ND versus an USC team on a 23 game undefeated streak, that began in ND stadium on Oct. 23, 1971 with USC beating ND 28-14(one of the worst attended events).Watch Lindsay Nelson and Paul Hornung call Penick's TD .

oviedoirish
#1 by far was the 1988 ND vs Miami game. Second was the Harry Oliver kick game against Michigan. For basketball, the best I've seen was when ND upset #1 San Francisco.
Sweetness34
ND - Miami (October 15, 1988)
ND - Florida State (1993)
1997 NCAA Hoops Finals; Arizona over KY 84-79 in OT
1987 NCAA Hoops Finals; IU over Syracuse 74-73
1984 Summer Olympics Hoops (Jordan, Ewing, Mullin, Tisdale, Perkins) - college player days
1984 Summer Olympics - Saw Carl Lewis win 3 of his 4 gold medals
1987 Notre Dame Basketball 60-58 win over #1 North Carolina
2016 Notre Dame Basketball 80-76 win over #1 North Carolina
mnewlon
Basketball - ND vs. UNC 1987. I was one of the many students throwing the ND placards on the floor after the 60-58 upset win, leading to Dean Smith vowing not to play at the JACC again.

Football - 1988 vs. Miami. Nothing else needs to be said.

Baseball - first visit to Fenway in 2012. BoSox beat the White Sox 5-1. Youkilis first return to Boston as a White Sox. Adrian Gonzalez hits a three run shot in the 8th to break a 1-1 tie. Close second was watching the Dodgers in LA play the Barry Bonds Giants during his PED fueled record breaking season. Missed catching one of his foul balls due to the dual beverages being held. Missed the ensuing HR (his 67th) as I was replacing said beverages.
kevhurls
I'm with fiddlwr31. 1988, I was in disabled section (in my w/c) in the 5th row. The rush I felt when Pat Terrell successfully defended Sean Walsh's pass - AND THE STADIUM ERUPTED - was incredibly rewarding.
ndwilky
1993 Notre Dame defeated FSU

2001 Masters - has to be one of the greatest environments in all of sports- if you ever have the opportunity to attend the Masters don't turn it down
nthurman
2016 Ryder cup
TheGroove91
ND Miami 1988. No matter the outcome, while it was happening I knew it was one of the best sporting events in history.
ndtone04
Best atmosphere nd-usc 2005. Loudest I've ever heard that stadium.
dagman
1977 Green Jersey game against USC, The Penn State Snow Bowl, 1988 Miami game....in no particular order.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.