Story Poster
Notre Dame Football Recruiting

BREAKING: Notre Dame Lands 2019 QB Cade McNamara

July 17, 2017

Notre Dame has its first commitment in the 2019 class as Reno (Nev.) quarterback Cade McNamara committed on Monday afternoon.

The 6-foot-1, 186-pounder held offers from Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, and Wisconsin.

The four-star prospect threw for 3,577 yards, 46 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions in 2016 as a sophomore.

McNamara is no stranger to South Bend as he visited for camp in June and impressed quarterbacks coach Tom Rees and offensive coordinator Chip Long.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Notre Dame Lands 2019 QB Cade McNamara

26,008 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mattfreeman
zelezo vlk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very cool!
Rottie1003
Stay away Mike
irish4life
Good get.
Of course the naysayers will say he doesn't have the offer list.... it'll hurt us with St Brown... took low hanging fruit... etc.

Welcome aboard Cade. Thrilled to have you!!!!
irishdds
Seems like they could have gotten him whenever they wanted. But staff has had good luck(record) identifying QB's. Was hoping for Daniels
Rottie1003
ND nation posted this article and didn't like my "stay away Mike" comment. They clearly don't get our board culture or running joke about how we usually get commits when Mike is on vacation)
(It is a badge of honor for me that I am banned from that board for daring to question their overall negativity)
army72
Wow! he gained 15#s since previous post I just read! Took one look at Balis on his last visit I guess.
irvinejack
The fact that the coaches went so hard, so fast for this kid tells you how much they liked what they saw, especially with 2 or 3 more highly-rated QB recruits still on the board.

Looking at his video, he sure doesn't look like a sophomore. Makes reads fast, has really good feet, vision and escapability, Keeps his eyes downfield when he's moving around and has not only a pretty quick release but also a strong arm and really nice ball placement. Looks like he can make all the throws already.

As far as size, he's listed on the Damonte Ranch roster as 6-1, 186. Wouldn't be a surprise to see him come in at 6-2, 200 with an even stronger arm.

He really reminds me of a slightly larger, maybe not-as-fast version of Ian Book.

On the minus side, his offer list is not impressive, but playing in a less visible market, etc. it's no big surprise. It is a little concerning that when you look at the Damonte Ranch roster, those are small kids compared with what we see at the big league H.S's in major markets. Regardless, some insiders think McNamara's upside is very high and it's likely his ratings will climb even if he isn't in a high-profile school/market.

We'll see how he does when he travels to Edison, Fresno on September 1st. That school has quite a few Div 1 prospects.

ndkj1
this explains why that other qb is committed to washington
dudejo
Ugh just a 4 star?
kevhurls
dudejo said:

Ugh just a 4 star?
Dude, he's a Soph. It's great and everything that he's signed with OUR Irish, but he's still got a lot of hs-ball to play. I think it's silly to sign a kid who hasn't even played his Junior year, yet. But that's just the way things are with recruiting these days. Cheers!
irvinejack
gond89 said:

dudejo said:

Ugh just a 4 star?
Dude, he's a Soph. It's great and everything that he's signed with OUR Irish, but he's still got a lot of hs-ball to play. I think it's silly to sign a kid who hasn't even played his Junior year, yet. But that's just the way things are with recruiting these days. Cheers!
Why is it silly when you see his video, you see him in person, work him out and do all other the due diligence?
If a kid is performing at a very high level as only a sophomore, like Cade is, you can expect that he's only going to get better.

This young man is very talented and I'm thrilled he hooked up with the Irish. A winner!
seattleirish747

And the sunshine and rainbow crowd will think this is great (see how that works?)

Nice kid sure hope we can hold on for the next 19 months if Nevada Reno ever decides to offer. BK and those that support him have turned this thing into a joke. Meanwhile our AD doesn't even know who we have played but can tell you every time Lens Crafters has a sale.
irish4life
seattleirish747 said:

And the sunshine and rainbow crowd will think this is great (see how that works?)

Nice kid sure hope we can hold on for the next 19 months if Nevada Reno ever decides to offer. BK and those that support him have turned this thing into a joke. Meanwhile our AD doesn't even know who we have played but can tell you every time Lens Crafters has a sale.

Knew you'd be around sooner than later. One of the crowd that can always be counted on.
Kid is 24 months from seeing a college campus, but the staff saw him in person, and he was 1 of only 5 offers. The staff here likes him and the fact that he'll likely grow 2 inches and improve his football acumen.

But I'll assume you and our resident downers know more, and will find fault.
seattleirish747
You act like BK is some QB whisperer the guy has been a complete diasaster at developing QB's. By objective measures every QB got worse from when they started to when they ended. This also from a guy who went 4-8 last year so pardon me if I am just a little hesitant to push all my chips in with him. I mean honestly dude look at his other offers you think BK is smarter than all the other P5 coaches combined? Based on what he saw him throw in camp in shorts?

Come on like call it for what it is which is a total stretch offer. Now if it's Jan 2019 and we don't have a QB totally on board the same way we did with Ian Book, but July of 2017 for a signing day in 2019 with one P5 other offer is a joke.
stefano
If Hawaii Head Coach, and record-setting QB, Nick Rolovich saw fit to offer this kid after just his sophomore season, I am on board...
irish4life
Funny but I never said Kelly nor anyone else on the staff is the quarterback whisper.
That being said Notre Dame had only offered for other quarterbacks to this point In the 2019 class at th in the 2019 class.
At this point and Daniels appears to be a lock to USC , Rattler committed elsewhere , it appears the kid that cmmitted to Washington may have been told that they preferred other people more.
And this kid came out worked out for his offer , And obviously performed well enough to get it .
Maybe just maybe Notre Dame got in early on this kid , which is what all you naysayers always ***** about .
So now ND is early to the party and that's a bad thing also
irishdds
Obviously Jamie isn't as smart as some of our posters here
dudejo
irvinejack said:

gond89 said:

dudejo said:

Ugh just a 4 star?
Why is it silly when you see his video, you see him in person, work him out and do all other the due diligence?
If a kid is performing at a very high level as only a sophomore, like Cade is, you can expect that he's only going to get better.

This young man is very talented and I'm thrilled he hooked up with the Irish. A winner!

Sorry guys I was being sarcastic...mostly poking fun at the naysayers who think we could have done better.

Sorry about that.
mattfreeman
Staff
seattleirish747 said:

You act like BK is some QB whisperer the guy has been a complete diasaster at developing QB's. By objective measures every QB got worse from when they started to when they ended. This also from a guy who went 4-8 last year so pardon me if I am just a little hesitant to push all my chips in with him. I mean honestly dude look at his other offers you think BK is smarter than all the other P5 coaches combined? Based on what he saw him throw in camp in shorts?

Come on like call it for what it is which is a total stretch offer. Now if it's Jan 2019 and we don't have a QB totally on board the same way we did with Ian Book, but July of 2017 for a signing day in 2019 with one P5 other offer is a joke.
A four-star kid Notre Dame chose to offer over other four-star kids is a stretch offer? Interesting.

Notre Dame got their top guys in 2019 on campus in the last year and worked them hard. Would they have taken JT Daniels? Sure, but JT Daniels is out of the picture.

I believe Notre Dame probably did its most detailed QB evaluation process in quite some time to find their guy and McNamara checked the boxes.

Notre Dame has recruited the QB position much better as Kelly tenure has gone on. Is it because of Kelly or his OC/QB coaches? We will never know, but they have improved at finding guys with talent and then identifying guys with great intangibles, which is crucial to the position.

If you look at the QB room right now, Brandon Wimbush, Ian Book, Avery Davis, Montgomery VanGorder, Nolan Henry, and JD Carney...that's a quality room with people knowing their roles. Then in 2018, you replace VanGorder with Phil Jurkovec. It's a room with a lot of talent at the top, leadership across the board, and kids that will mesh well with each other so it's not a toxic environment.
Lyght1
Matt/Jamie - what is the level of competition he plays against....the only reason I ask is the receiver in his HUDL video, number 3 I believe, looks like he had potential as well. Catches the ball wolitb his hands and is consistently getting open deep.
NDCrusader
Lyght1 said:

Matt/Jamie - what is the level of competition he plays against....the only reason I ask is the receiver in his HUDL video, number 3 I believe, looks like he had potential as well. Catches the ball wolitb his hands and is consistently getting open deep.
Good eye. Dru Jacobs is the WR/FS you are referring to. Very productive 2018 kid who stuck out to me too when I went over McNamara's film when it was announced he was coming to ND for camp. Jacobs had 53 rec / 1100 yds / 12 TD at WR and more impressively to me, 110 Tkl / 4 Int / 2 Int-TD / 1 KR-TD as a soph FS before being used mostly as a WR his Jr season.

Has a listed best of 10.90 / 100m as a soph which is very good but ran just a 4.75 / 40 at the Opening Oakland this year. That could have been an off day but he looks a little too stiff in his highlight film for a 6-0 WR prospect. Only offer so far is to Air Force.
koonja
The star rating doesn't worry me. The size and lack of offers worries me. If he's listed at 6'1", standard CFB recruiting procedure docs him down to a true 6' at best. And he's in Nevada, where he'd get plenty of attention from at least the Pac 12 schools, and he essentially doesn't really have any offers. Nevada, Hawaii, ND, and Wisconsin is concerning to me.
September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
mattfreeman
Staff
koonja said:

The star rating doesn't worry me. The size and lack of offers worries me. If he's listed at 6'1", standard CFB recruiting procedure docs him down to a true 6' at best. And he's in Nevada, where he'd get plenty of attention from at least the Pac 12 schools, and he essentially doesn't really have any offers. Nevada, Hawaii, ND, and Wisconsin is concerning to me.
Some of the best QBs in college football have been 5'11-6'1. You don't have to be 6'4 to play quarterback anymore.

The kid hasn't entered his junior year of high school. He will likely will continue to grow and add weight.

He's bigger than Ian Book was as a senior. Size isn't a concern.
mattfreeman
Staff
Lyght1 said:

Not the best but that's based off Nevada not being a great football state. You have Bishop Gorman and then the drop is pretty drastic.

McNamara's school lost to Liberty in the state semi-finals last year 30-27. The next week Bishop Gorman beat Liberty 84-8.
beaubenken
koonja said:

Dude, the #2 rated 2019 CB according to 247sports has one reported offer from UCLA. Only a very small handful of kids even get offers before their junior season especially a kid from a small time school like Cade's (read: not Bishop Gorman, De La Salle, Mater Dei, St. Peter's Prep, etc.) The only way most of these kids get offers is by being exceptional on tape and in person with staffs. Cade did both for ND, he got the offer, and he committed. Kid is over 2 years away from ever even suiting up for a college team and we're worried about the amount of offers he has.
IrishLion
We'll see how he develops, but at the very least it's nice to have a QB as the first member of the class... he's basically an extra staff member in terms of recruiting other offensive players in the '19 class, and he's going to be there from the start, in the ears of RB/WR/TE/OL whenever they visit.
InLeaWeTrust
beaubenken said:

koonja said:

Dude, the #2 rated 2019 CB according to 247sports has one reported offer from UCLA. Only a very small handful of kids even get offers before their junior season especially a kid from a small time school like Cade's (read: not Bishop Gorman, De La Salle, Mater Dei, St. Peter's Prep, etc.) The only way most of these kids get offers is by being exceptional on tape and in person with staffs. Cade did both for ND, he got the offer, and he committed. Kid is over 2 years away from ever even suiting up for a college team and we're worried about the amount of offers he has.
Completely true, but funny part is, this will probably limit the amount of offers he'd get otherwise, to some degree. It will be interesting to see if some of the regional teams offer (Arz., ASU, Colorado, etc.), even though they might view it as a waste of time. The big boys will regardless, if they want to that is.
InLeaWeTrust
Matt, any idea if the staff is considering taking 2 QB's? This seems like an ideal situation to do so, if Cade is open to it. On the other side, this does give you A LOT of time to evaluate and build relationships with the best 20' QB's.
IrishLion
InElkoWeTrust said:

Matt, any idea if the staff is considering taking 2 QB's? This seems like an ideal situation to do so, if Cade is open to it. On the other side, this does give you A LOT of time to evaluate and build relationships with the best 20' QB's.
2016 - Ian Book
2017- Avery Davis
2018 - Phil Jurkovec
2019 - Cade McNamara
2020 - Swing for the Fences

I don't know if you need to go after two QB's if you plan on swinging for the fences in 2020, which it appears is the plan based on previous patterns.

Unless, of course, they think Davis plays a different position once Jurkovec is on campus, or if the second QB in 2019 is a true dual-threat with some position flexibility.
NDCrusader
beaubenken said:

koonja said:

FYI... The CB you are referring to, BG's Greg Oliver has a serious glitch going on with his 247 Comp rating (which has him as a 5 star .99xx) He's not even rated by 247 yet, He's a 4 star on Scout but not in their Top 6 (only 6 are currently even ranked) and Rivals has him as an unranked lowly rated 3 star (5.6). That should have him as a .8500ish on their Comp w/ only two or the 4 services R&Ring him so far.
NDCrusader
IrishLion said:

InElkoWeTrust said:

2016 - Ian Book
2017- Avery Davis
2018 - Phil Jurkovec
2019 - Cade McNamara
2020 - Swing for the Fences

I don't know if you need to go after two QB's if you plan on swinging for the fences in 2020, which it appears is the plan based on previous patterns.

Unless, of course, they think Davis plays a different position once Jurkovec is on campus, or if the second QB in 2019 is a true dual-threat with some position flexibility.
Add:

2016 - Ian Book
2017- Avery Davis
2018 - Phil Jurkovec
2019 - Cade McNamara
2020 - Roman Purcell (IN) (Irish legacy), Drew Pyne (CT) or Jack Miller (AZ)
2021 - RP3 (IN) (Beano's prophecy fulfilled)
mattfreeman
Staff
InElkoWeTrust said:

I mean, I am sure they wouldn't turn JT Daniels down if he did a 180 in his recruitment but they are very comfortable and happy with Cade McNamara.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.