How do you feel about Notre Dame Recruiting?

7,996 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ratdiggler
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Two more additions this week in 2018 RB Jahmir Smith and LB Shayne Simon. The Irish are quietly putting together a solid front 7 in this class and have their top guy at QB.

If the Irish can land Kevin Austin Jr. on Aug. 11th, I think you have to say it was successful summer.
irish brigade
They are doing well overall; I would give them a B/B-. The lack of a single cornerback, a position of pretty significant need, is the only glaring weakness.
txdomer25
Doing well especially considering the 4-8 disaster. I think many of the defensive pieces fit well with Elko's defense which is encouraging. The lack of elite championship difference makers is an issue, which has been consistent in Kelly's recruiting.
lydia
Given last season and the massive coaching turnover, this class is better than any of us could expect. A lot will happen between now and February, but this is a great start. Now, just win.
jhiggins993
With the recent OL transfers, I would feel better if they could reel in another quality OL before the end of the summer but not sure if that fits with any of their targets' timeline.
IIO
Turning out to be deep in talent, but it needs some more impact players that I don't think ND has a very good chance of landing at this point (winning can change that).

Impact Players

Phil Jurkovec
Jayson Ademilola
Shayne Simon
Derrik Allen

Needed Impact Players

Nick Petit-Frere
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Kevin Austin Jr
Jamaree Salyer
Azeez Ojulari
Joseph Ossai
Jayson Oweh
Jack Lamb
Cam McGrone
Channing Tindall
Brendan Kayo
Houston Griffith
D'Shawn Jamison
Anthony Cook
Talanoa Hufanga

Those are 15 guys with at least some degree of interest to Notre Dame. Only Kevin Austin is a guy that I think ND currently leads for. ND needs to land Austin and 3 other guys on that list (which could expand) before I'm going to be excited about the impact this class can have. There are still major holes at Drop, CB, OT and WR and we could use an impact LB as well. If it stays status quo, this smells of another class ranked in the 10-15 range. In order for it to head towards top 5 range ND needs more impact players, which means they need to win a lot of games, and kill it on official visits.
irishbrian
I am really concerned about the defensive back, corner position. A couple of commitments before the season starts would very comforting.
irvinejack
Trending in the right direction. If they win, they could end up with a top 5-7 class which would be remarkable after last years train wreck.
dc irish
B+ Agree with other poster about problems at DB recruiting. What are chances with remaining db candidates?
cardova08
I think you'd have to feel really, really good had Gervin not decommited. You can kind of outline their needs and the guys that might project in those spots and the end result would be a class ranked maybe in the 12 range. Add in Austin and they still need a WR, maybe that guy is Porter or Keys. Need at least 2 offensive linemen and maybe those guys are Taimani and Craig. Add in Tremble at TE.

Defensively they probably want 2 more DE's, so add in Booker and..some other rush end, I don't really know who. They definitely want at least 1 more LBer, add in Togai. Need at least 3 corners, Burton seems like the best bet, maybe a guy like Bracy? Kyler Gordon would be top of my list with guys they might have a shot with. Need at least 1 more safety, either McKenzie or Moala.

The guys that can push this class to an elite level have been listed, Amon-Ra, Petite-Frere, Salyer, Cota, Oweh/Ossai, Lamb, Griffith, Hufanga. A good season should land at least 1 or 2 of those guys, a great season and who knows.
buffaloirish1
I think there doing a much better job of identifying fits and going after realistic targets.

Not wasting much time with fringe fit type players.
murphjd
mattfreeman said:

Two more additions this week in 2018 RB Jahmir Smith and LB Shayne Simon. The Irish are quietly putting together a solid front 7 in this class and have their top guy at QB.

If the Irish can land Kevin Austin Jr. on Aug. 11th, I think you have to say it was successful summer.
They need to start concentrate on both lines where the game is won and lost. Still, they have done a nice job overall so far.
mattfreeman
Staff
murphjd said:

mattfreeman said:

They need to start concentrate on both lines where the game is won and lost. Still, they have done a nice job overall so far.
They lead for OL Sam Taimani after his visit yesterday. They just have to get their top OL guys back on campus this fall.

They just need to impress a rush end and they will be fine. Easier said than done, but they are hanging with a bunch of guys that will love Notre Dame if they visit. Notre Dame just has to get those visits locked in.
InLeaWeTrust
Agreed. The OV's are so pivotal in recruiting that I can't ever find myself getting to bent out of shape about summer recruiting. Especially at a place like ND. Quite a few players that can only OV, so they haven't even seen campus yet. Those will be big opportunities to impress. Considering it's July 26th, I think this class is in good position heading into the fall.
ratdiggler
Agreed on they are doing very well recruiting when considering what type of season they are coming off of...

Now they need to WIN to make sure they hold onto the kids they have and open the eyes of those who are lightly considering ND
irishdragon67
Matt does Griffith have a OV lined up at ND yet? And St Brown?
mattfreeman
Staff
irishdragon67 said:

Matt does Griffith have a OV lined up at ND yet? And St Brown?
Griffith is down to four schools essentially and as of now, Notre Dame isn't one of them.

St. Brown said he will be in town for an official visit but he hasn't locked down a date.
irishdragon67
Was Denson Griffiths recruiter?
mattfreeman
Staff
irishdragon67 said:

Was Denson Griffiths recruiter?
Todd Lyght
irishdragon67
Ouch! Are kids not liking him or what?
InLeaWeTrust
With the new info out on Lamb, I think we need to recalibrate our thoughts here. Adding Lamb and Austin before the season starts would be damn impressive. The front 7 haul is really good. That's, by some, 4 top 100 defenders, and presumably 1 at all 3 levels of the defense. With some space to add more. Also have to include Gilman to this class and he's the equivalent to a 4 star SS, IMO.
koonja
Two ways to look at this. On one hand, we're a ~10th ranked class after a 4-8 season, and if Lamb chooses ND today, that ranking gets even better. Very hard to be upset about that - at face value it's an incredible job by the staff.

However, CB and DE recruiting are completely ****ting the bed. We took zero corners last year, and can't get one on board. I don't know that we even have that many (any?) coming this summer, either. We're essentially praying we get a few 3-star guys, as there are no 4-star guys seriously considering us with visits in mind. Let's not even talk about 5-star CBs. Recruiting corners this year should be a cake walk, and we're not even close to 1.

DE: Thomas Booker and Jason Oweh should be easy sells. Each have ND in their top 3, have visited multiple times, and I'll be happy if we even get one of them. Don't tell me Oweh isn't looking for what ND sells. He's paid for 2 summer visits, has Harvard parents, and wants to play big time football. I get OSU, but you can make the argument that ND is a better football decision, since he'll be a 2-3 year starter here, and there's a very real chance he's never a starter at OSU due to their talent and depth. This is a guy the staff absolutely should have closed on.

Thomas Booker, same thing. He's down to Stanford and ND, and while he's been to ND several times, Stanford only once and with a late offer. They're also as far away as can be, and we're not closing.

So how do you look at recruiting. Face value? Then we're doing GREAT. Look at what the staff should be doing at positions of dire need? It's not as good as it looks.
ratdiggler
Agreed on the holes that need filling. It should be an easy sell but you also need to look at player development and onfield results. Through that lens this would be a much more difficult sell. How many CBs have the Irish put in the league over the last few years? Where did ND rank in INTs, Sacks, TFL, etc.? Then compare vs schools we compete w like OSU, Stanford, UM, etc. It's not a favorable comparison. Yes, Booker has interest in ND but he spent a summer in Stanford taking classes because that was and is his top pick. They always have a good DLine and generally don't get 5* DL recruits. That was over when Stanford offered, unless Elko and staff can pull off a miracle. And Oweh looks like a great fit for ND on paper, but he has said multiple times he wants to be developed. So then you need to look at Larry Johnson vs Elston - gonna be a tough sell imo. Even knowing ND would have a more direct path to playing time for both kids, it's just hard to overcome the onfield results we have seen the past few years... but, if (when) Elko shows the nation what his D is capable of, which should be very doable considering the improved level of talent vs what he had at WF, recruits will take notice! All levels of the Defense at that! We've heard several times that this is a player friendly scheme, so even at 8 months in it should not take the kids time to ramp up like in BVGs system. Yes, it looks like slim pickins at DB right now but I expect evaluations to surface new names and others already in contact to circle back w increased interest. DT and LB are solid, but DE and DB will see increased attention from the staff and get increased attention from recruits as the season goes on. It may seem a bit glum now, but one thing you can't deny is the hustle and hard work Elko and staff have been putting in. I would be hard pressed to believe that they will sit back and not turn the heat up on DE/DB recruiting. After a 4-8 season, I'd say recruiting is in a pretty good spot considering the season hasn't even started yet...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.