What's happening at CB?

3,619 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mattfreeman
ColoradoIrish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This title is a bit of a click bait approach. I know what's happening at CB, I'm wondering what the staff is going to do about it? Obviously parents aren't sending their kids to play for Todd Lyght for whatever reason. The program can't afford two disastrous cycles happen in a row. I think Lyght needs to be replaced ASAP, but understand that's unlikely. Any insights on what the plan is for CB?

And please, for the Lyght police, don't mount some milquetoast defense requesting more time and a winning season. Good recruiters get players in all kinds of 'weather'. See: Denson, Autry. Elston, Mike. Heistand, Harry. Etc.
mattfreeman
Staff
He has to find his stride in recruiting. Lyght is a guy that doesn't need to have people tell him how good he is or have things told to him more than once. The top kids need attention because every program in the country is coming after them.

They clearly respect him as a coach and they love his resum but I think he just needs to focus on relationships over the course of time.

Notre Dame as a whole can help him out and recruit more realistic targets to start cycles. You definitely have to recruit elite kids but you also have to narrow those names down to realistic options. I am not sure they started well in terms of that in the 2018 cycle.
ColoradoIrish
Thank you for responding Matt. I appreciate what you are saying.

How does your answer on Lyght's behalf scale across the rest of the position coaches? DT's are equally if not more coveted. WR's and RB's roughly equal with possible a slightly larger talent pool. Still, even when Lyght gets a commitment he can't hold on. There is smoke here people don't seem to want to admit to smelling. I'm just not sure I understand why.
ratdiggler
Hard to say what happened last year w Graham, that was a huge blow. He could've come in and had an immediate impact. Hicks seemed to fall away as the season went to shambles but I don't think he would have contributed right away. Adebo was another big blow though, but it's hard to put that on Lyght as everyone knew all along Stanford was his dream offer... and when they came around he was out... Gervin from this cycle was just odd - he committed out of no where and then decommitted a few months later. And his reasons seemed super flaky, but he didn't hang it on Lyght by any means. And to be honest, ND has never really had much success w the Cass Tech kids.

2018 has been off to a rough start but if they get it done on the field I think we'll start to see more interest from kids they had been in contact with and we should start to see new names pop up as well. Lyght doesn't have the midus touch when it comes to recruiting, but I did feel that after BVG was let go last year we saw the CB play improve. I also think that is we land the kids who are interested now (Burton, Bracy) and have a good season then the '19 CB recruits will take notice and see an opportunity to get on the field sooner than later.

I'm not writing him off as a coach - yet... but he def needs to step up his game as a recruiter
mattfreeman
Staff
ColoradoIrish said:

Thank you for responding Matt. I appreciate what you are saying.

How does your answer on Lyght's behalf scale across the rest of the position coaches? DT's are equally if not more coveted. WR's and RB's roughly equal with possible a slightly larger talent pool. Still, even when Lyght gets a commitment he can't hold on. There is smoke here people don't seem to want to admit to smelling. I'm just not sure I understand why.
People that don't see a concern are giving him the benefit of the doubt because he is an alum of the school and program.

I am not saying you should write Todd Lyght off, as he has been successful in everything he has done, but he absolutely needs to figure out why, where, and how these recruitments start to trend away from Notre Dame.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.