Worst Notre Dame Game You've Attended

12,436 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by groundhog
Mike Frank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The Nebraska game where ND played in their stadium.

It was over in the first 5 minutes. I left after the first quarter.

Such a very frustrating day. Hated every minute of that day.

Mike
highburst
Count me in for the USF game. Finally got back to Chicago at 1:30 AM.
paNDfan
National Championship against Alabama. The week leading up to the game and the atmosphere was amazing until the actual game started.

Runner up, at Penn State in 2007. I wasn't expecting much and they didn't disappoint. Darrin Walls had a pick 6 and it was quickly downhill from there.
cubalchini@alumni.nd.edu
Without a doubt the 1974 ND vs USC game in the LA Coliseum.
mike151
My first game at ND Stadium. October 1972, lost to Missouri as a 28 point favorite in a driving rain storm. Missouri had lost the previous week to Nebraska by 56-0
TheGroove91
Northwestern 2014. Extremely cold. Left while up by 11 and about to score. Got to the parking lot and the game was tied. Could not believe we list that game. It was FREEZING
pbrad28
unfortunately, there's a lot to pick from. Navy at Metlife Stadium......worst defense ever against Navy.

The Midshipman defeated Notre Dame, 35-17, in MetLife Stadium's inaugural season in 2010.
kkiely57
South Florida at home and NC State on the road. Both were weather affected games. We left the USF game after the second delay. We were stupid enough to stay until the bitter end in Raleigh. NC State in the Gator Bowl was also a disaster.
pexli16
Georgia Tech 2007. Home opener filled with hope. Super hot day. Demetrius Jones started at QB and transferred not long afterward. The offense was in total disarray. It was like they hadn't practiced at all. The o-line was so bad if Jones wasn't sacked he was running for his life. I took my parents to that game. We are lifelong fans. We left early. That was my first and last game. It was their worst home opener loss ever.
ablotkamp
This may be the most depressing thread I've ever seen.

I have several but I watched the UCONN game in '09 in the middle of the UCONN section. It was like their super bowl even though everyone knew Weis was a dead man walking.

Runners up Air Force in '07 and BC in '04 when ty punted from the 35.
ryanmc207
Tulsa 2010
tommynacc
rockne75 said:

Senior year at USC - 1974; leading 24-0 late in the 2nd Q, lost 55-24. Horrible horrible horrible experience.
That was the game I became a Notre Dame fan.

I've told it here before, I am the son of a Trojan, whose Catholic-parents were both raised in the shadow of the Coliseum. I grew up a rabid USC fan, dreaming of playing football for them.

That game, I will never forget The Irish jumping out to that lead. I was defeated and humiliated as I watched the entire South end of the Coliseum, waving Gold and White pom poms all while Ara paced the sidelines. It was going to be a huge loss!

Then the second half happened.

As Anthony Davis ran the 2nd half kick off back, I cheered! Suddenly one Irish mistake after another, USC took the lead and never looked back, and as they scored their last touchdown, I cheered, laughing.My Mom, well, she couldn't take it anymore, came into the den where the family TV was, and put the biggest Irish-Catholic guilt trip that has ever occurred on me! I felt horrible! It was a total shillelagh shallack'in by my Irish Catholic mom!

I never rooted against Notre Dame ever again, and that's how I changed allegiances!

Go Irish!
ejsjr
We were also totally out coached and out prepared. I can still remember how their defensive ends would over play and come crashing in from the outside on every play, penetrating about 5 yards, and we did nothing to react to it or counteract it.
novairish
tommynacc said:

rockne75 said:

Senior year at USC - 1974; leading 24-0 late in the 2nd Q, lost 55-24. Horrible horrible horrible experience.
That was the game I became a Notre Dame fan.

I've told it here before, I am the son of a Trojan, whose Catholic-parents were both raised in the shadow of the Coliseum. I grew up a rabid USC fan, dreaming of playing football for them.

That game, I will never forget The Irish jumping out to that lead. I was defeated and humiliated as I watched the entire South end of the Coliseum, waving Gold and White pom poms all while Ara paced the sidelines. It was going to be a huge loss!

Then the second half happened.

As Anthony Davis ran the 2nd half kick off back, I cheered! Suddenly one Irish mistake after another, USC took the lead and never looked back, and as they scored their last touchdown, I cheered, laughing.My Mom, well, she couldn't take it anymore, came into the den where the family TV was, and put the biggest Irish-Catholic guilt trip that has ever occurred on me! I felt horrible! It was a total shillelagh shallack'in by my Irish Catholic mom!

I never rooted against Notre Dame ever again, and that's how I changed allegiances!

Go Irish!

This is an awesome story.
dagman
The Nebraska game. I got there early and I watched as a sea or red entered the stadium slowly and continuously. I was never more ashamed of Notre Dame ticket holders than I was that day.
smoodiver
Since I'm from Tennessee, the 1991 home loss to the Big Orange was particularly painful. We were dominating them and on the verge of going up 38-7 in the first half. Instead, their defense held and forced us to attempt a FG. It was blocked and returned for a TD. So it was then 31-14 (a 14-pt turnaround!). The Vols chipped away at our lead in the second half and blocked a FG on the last play to hold on 35-34. It made me want to puke.

The 1990 home loss to Stanford wasn't much fun either. We were no. 1 and they were 1-3, yet Denny Green's team pulled the upset. It was a complete shock. That game was so surreal. We fumbled 2 or 3 punts and Rocket Ismail didn't play. We still had a chance to win at the end, but our TE couldn't come up with what would have been a tough catch in the end zone.

To add insult to injury, Stanford lost its next 3 games by a combined score of 120-38.
heil22
shawneeki said:

South Florida 2011. Bad football added to really bad weather and 5 plus hour game with delays left a very bad taste in ones mouth.

Have not been back to a game at ND since this one. Horrible feeling. We dominated this game, but I think we had 5 turnovers.
groundhog
'03 Florida State. ND was completely inept. They didn't get their first first down until the third quarter. I've never seen so many people leave a game early, myself included.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.