HC: Who's on your watch list?

7,415 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by InLeaWeTrust
koonja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not trying to stir the 'fire Kelly' pot, but it's still technically the off-season, so I'm interested to see what realistic coaches you'll be keeping your eye open in case the ND head job opens up. I think it'll be interesting to see how different these answers look 5 months from now. My watch list:

PJ Fleck young, regional coach who is a proven recruiter. Would bring a lot of energy to ND football.

Matt Rhule I have to think he'd leave a major facelift at Baylor for the ND job.

Mike Sanford what if he has an 11 win year? He'd have to be a strong candidate IMO.

Gary Patterson He'll never win big at TCU, despite making them a successful program. I don't hold last year' 6-7 season against him he has too proven of a track record for that to be the norm.

Bob Stoops He's still in his 50s and just bought a house in Chicago. Just saying.

Who will you keep an eye on?
jamie uyeyama
Staff
I think the list would be too long right now because there are no obvious candidates. Guys like Rhule and Taggart would have been high on the list if they stayed at Temple and USF, but those guys aren't going anywhere.

Heard Bob Stoops is pretty genuine with the retired thing. Don't see him as an option. Think if something were to happen with Kelly, the list would largely be based on who has a big year at their school in 2017.
koonja
You don't think Rhule would think long and hard about the ND job? I think he would have at Baylor even before their catastrophic off seasons over the last two years. Now, I think he'd have to consider it.

I left Taggart off for that reason. And yeah, obviously this will change by the end of the year as coaches either excel/fall off, but I'm interested in who makes the watch list now, and it'll be fun to look back to see how it all played out after the year.
jamie uyeyama
Staff
I don't think there is any chance with Rhule. Baylor gave him a 6 year deal and he's in for the long haul there.
sdnd1
I'm hoping Bill O'Brien has a tough year at Houston and is tempted back to college.
koonja
Does he have any sort of relationship with ND?

Also - John Harbaugh. Daughter is enrolling at ND this year I believe. Get your popcorn ready.
buffaloirish1
Kevin Wilson would by my #1 after OSU wins the national championship with a high powered offense. My only concern would be the off field stuff that got him fired from IU.

Other candidates:
Charlie Strong - (guaranteed to win at least 9 gamrs at USF this year)

Justin Fuente - Although I think he would turn it down.

Greg Schiano

Dark Horse candidate:
DJ Durkin - I like what he is building at Maryland, if they have a good year i think he would get a look. ( hell, they gave Edsall a look).
fisher
Kevin Wilson? My gosh, did you even observe how bad IU's defenses were under Wilson? Obviously not.

He was wrong for IU from the get go and OU couldn't wait for him to leave. Then they wouldn't have to have
fired him. So it worked out for OU but not the fool hardy AD from IU.

IU had the right information about this clown and chose to ignore it. And guess what? The very issues they
were warned about showed up and he was canned.

Not a snowball's chance in Hades he would be a candidate for UND.

Wow!!!!
koonja
I want to like Durkin because he's a young guy, energetic, defensive minded, and can recruit. But what is Maryland doing?

Pre-Durkin:
2012: 4-8
2013: 7-6
2014: 7-6

Durkin:

2015: 3-9
2016: 6-7.

I think it's too early to say he's been a failure, but I don't think anything suggest he's turned it around. At least not W/L wise.

I don't think I'd want Charlie Strong. I think he'd be a fit for ND, and I think we'd be OK, but we know what we'd get with him. I don't think he can take us to the next level, just my opinion.
buffaloirish1
fisher said:

Kevin Wilson? My gosh, did you even observe how bad IU's defenses were under Wilson? Obviously not.

He was wrong for IU from the get go and OU couldn't wait for him to leave. Then they wouldn't have to have
fired him. So it worked out for OU but not the fool hardy AD from IU.

IU had the right information about this clown and chose to ignore it. And guess what? The very issues they
were warned about showed up and he was canned.

Not a snowball's chance in Hades he would be a candidate for UND.

Wow!!!!

ive herd Wilson was Kellys 1st choice to replace Denbrock, was offered the job but choice OSU. Again just a rumor I came accross. Hes is a very respected no nonsense offensive coach. I think he over achieved at IU with what he had, seemed like his teams were always in competitive games against the top tier teams.

If you think a top of the line, established coach is giving up a good job for ND I think your wrong.

Even if a guy like Fuente was offered the job I thibk he would turn it down, the expectations are so high at ND it will scare good candidates away.

mattfreeman
Staff
I don't think Kevin Wilson would be on Notre Dame's list with his background.
kobrie16
koonja said:

I want to like Durkin because he's a young guy, energetic, defensive minded, and can recruit. But what is Maryland doing?

Pre-Durkin:
2012: 4-8
2013: 7-6
2014: 7-6

Durkin:

2015: 3-9
2016: 6-7.

I think it's too early to say he's been a failure, but I don't think anything suggest he's turned it around. At least not W/L wise.

I don't think I'd want Charlie Strong. I think he'd be a fit for ND, and I think we'd be OK, but we know what we'd get with him. I don't think he can take us to the next level, just my opinion.
Durkin took over in 2016, so he only has the 6-7 record to his name. In 2015 Edsall started as coach and was fired mid-season. So he definitely improved things in his first year but the 6 wins weren't against anyone impressive. Too early to tell with him but I would be surprised if he can get md competitive to the level ND would consider him. Worth keeping an eye on though.
koonja
Good point, that changes my tune then, and this season will be one to watch for him. Did not know he only coached there in 2016.
kalts
Fleck
InLeaWeTrust
I like the idea of getting Sanford back if he has a successful stint at WKU. Keep Elko/Lea in place and let him do what he wants with the offense. Seems like a great fit, if he proves he can run the show.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.