If you could call 1 shot at ND

6,901 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fisher
koonja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you had all of the power for 1 day at ND, what one change would you make? Would you fire BK? Would you go even further up the ladder? Would you change the disciplinary process? Would weaken the admissions process? Would you upgrade the dorms? Would you drop Navy from the schedule?

I would beef up the academic assistance to the players, and do so in a way where it is unlikely to be abused. To the general public, that academic scandal was such a scar on the University, even if it was handled in the right way. Our players are strapped for time, morose than anywhere else, and that affects your sleep, your focus, and most importantly, can affect your eligibility.

What call would you make?
koonja
Dropping Navy would be #2 for me. I realize that will bring out the pitchforks, but that game, even if we win (which is not a given), is such a whiplash in the middle of the season, where the defense basically has to stop playing defense for a week, and focus on learning a whole new set of responsibilities. I can't imagine how difficult that is for the players and staff to adjust to. And mark my words, we'll have a playoff year in the next decade where Navy will come and ruin it all for us.

IDK if the whole cut-blocking = injuries is a myth or not, but I simply do not want to game plan for them anymore on a regular basis. We broke the Michigan series - who's to say we cannot play Navy every few years, rather than every year? I don't think we need to forever honor a promise an AD made 50 years ago.

Loyalty has its limits. The violinists on the Titanic were loyal. They died.
mattfreeman
Staff
The dorm/living situation.

I would love to see Notre Dame get air conditioning in all the dorms for every student, but at least where the student-athletes live. That also brings me to my next point of making an all football team dorm and making it close to The Gug.

Players can have the option of living in the regular dorms if they so choose, so the ability of living with a student still exists but the ability to have the team closer to The Gug will likely help with time management.

Several program have the "football dorm" within close proximity to their football facilities so kids aren't walking 15 mins back to their dorm and/or 30 mins across campus. Some of Notre Dame's dorms couldn't be further from The Gug. That's time wasted just walking from Point A to Point B in an already booked schedule.

That's more sleep, more time in the books, more time in the playbook, etc. It doesn't sound like much, but that adds up. If a kid can get 30minutes more sleep because his walk is shorter, I think that definitely matters, much less a comfortable night's sleep with air conditioning.
ColoradoIrish
Navy is a true negative-sum opponent. No credit for beating them when they are good and max penalty when they are middling or bad. I also agree about the difficulty factor and disruption to the defense's preparation otherwise. It's a pain no doubt.

Still, I support the series (not out of loyalty) out of character. Notre Dame cannot become a win at all costs school or else it will lose its differentiation. Our Navy 'loyalty' is more about upholding our own best standards of conduct. The Navy series makes me proud of my school.
koonja
Not having AC for ALL students for how much $ ND brings in is simply ridiculous IMO. Is there any hope of fixing that?

And I'd build the player dorm right inside the squat rack in the gug.
koonja
Its such a catch phrase for the 'hot takes' too. "Oh you played Navy and Army". Yeah, well, if you pay attention, Navy is a good team in the past 5 years. Just ask FSU.

I don't know - there's so much conference re-allignment going on, and with us opting half-in to the ACC, I feel like if we tell Navy 'every 3 years', it'd be understood. We cannot keep Stanford, USC, Michigan, Navy + ACC forever. Something has to give.

Why not give on the game that you get zero credit for, like you mentioned, that causes you to change the defense for an entire week, and is a very tough win (just ask BK).
hawk
First Navy game was in 1927 in Philly. My parents spent their honeymoon at the game. If someone wants to do some checking ( I am to old 80) I think you will find out the promise to play them was because they bailed out the University during World War II. Having said all this, I agree it is time for a change!!
JDAtlanta
God, Country, Notre Dame.
If Navy doesn't keep the doors open at ND, we would all be State U. fans.
I don't like the Navy game, but if ND stands for anything, you have to play it.
It's 2017! Get AC in the dorms. Do they have iceboxes in the cafeteria kitchens? Are they still using coal for heat? That is just asinine.
und63
I have no use for the Navy complaints. It's not a one-off game; we play them every year. We should know how to handle both the option and their blocking. As for what I'd change, apart from the obvious, I'd lighten the in-season academic load at a minimum. Most regular student don't graduate in 3 1/2 years. There is no reason football players shouldn't be given a lighter schedule and allowed 4-5 years to graduate. ND wants to brag about their graduation rate but that shouldn't take precedence over what is best for the student athlete.
smoodiver
mattfreeman said:

I would love to see Notre Dame get air conditioning in all the dorms for every student, but at least where the student-athletes live. That also brings me to my next point of making an all football team dorm and making it close to The Gug.

Players can have the option of living in the regular dorms if they so choose, so the ability of living with a student still exists but the ability to have the team closer to The Gug will likely help with time management.

Several program have the "football dorm" within close proximity to their football facilities so kids aren't walking 15 mins back to their dorm and/or 30 mins across campus. Some of Notre Dame's dorms couldn't be further from The Gug. That's time wasted just walking from Point A to Point B in an already booked schedule.

That's more sleep, more time in the books, more time in the playbook, etc. It doesn't sound like much, but that adds up. If a kid can get 30minutes more sleep because his walk is shorter, I think that definitely matters, much less a comfortable night's sleep with air conditioning.
No disrespect, Matt, but I think outstanding coaching trumps all of these issues. None of this stuff matters if the head coach cannot instill mental and physical toughness in his players. ND didn't have air conditioning, athletic dorms, a training table, a players' lounge, etc. in the late 80s but the program was elite.
koonja
Yes, coaching is what matters. But to attract elite coaches, you have to have the infrastructure that attracts them and makes them think they can succeed.

Improving the dorm situation and adding AC/time would be a huge infrastructure improvement IMO. And could help with what really matters - attracting coaches and players.

Remember - coaches have to sell the entire program to kids to get them here. Showing them hot, crappy dorms that are a 30 minute walk to the gug is not an easy sell I bet. "winning is 80% recruiting" ~ Lou Holtz
mattfreeman
Staff
smoodiver said:

mattfreeman said:

No disrespect, Matt, but I think outstanding coaching trumps all of these issues. None of this stuff matters if the head coach cannot instill mental and physical toughness in his players. ND didn't have air conditioning, athletic dorms, a training table, a players' lounge, etc. in the late 80s but the program was elite.
It's 2017. Mental toughness isn't about kids not sleeping because it's too hot in their dorms so they have to sleep on a bench in the chapel of their dorm bc that's the only room with AC in the dorm. Kids that don't sleep aren't going to be aware during workouts. They aren't going to be in the best shape physically or mentally if they don't sleep.

If you were one of the best players in the country, would you choose Notre Dame if you found out they didn't have air conditioning in the dorms? That's not even a thought that crosses someone's mind in today's world. You have to wonder what else the program doesn't have at that point.

gautrp
Lower the academics as low as possible to get in and keep the difference makers it takes to be a consistent top 10 team. The championship will then come.
welshfamily5
fredp
Lower the ticket and parking prices.
5th qtr irish
Keep the academic standards and the character standards. You don't let anyone outspend you for the best resources to support your players and your coaching staff.

Top shelf S&C group (pay what it takes)
Top shelf nutrition (pay what it takes)
Top shelf facilities (pay what it takes)
Top shelf academic support (pay what it takes)
Deepest bench of analysts for game prep, recruiting, etc.
Recruiting and operations support to no end.
Events to bring back ND football alums to campus to mentor players.

This gives Kelly the resources to produce a national championship. If he doesn't cut it, it shows any prospective coach you are all in and will give him everything he needs to win. No shortcuts.

ND has made progress in these areas but it feels like they are reacting instead of leading. If you are in the playoff every other year, your TV deal, merchandise sales, etc go through the roof. It takes $$ to make $$$$$$.
ejsjr
I don't know if it would require a lowering of admission standards, but I would like to see ND reinstitute the program which gave great guys like Tony Rice a chance. Tony was a great college QB, but he also earned his degree, after some early academic struggles.
txirish74
5th qtr irish said:

Keep the academic standards and the character standards. You don't let anyone outspend you for the best resources to support your players and your coaching staff.

Top shelf S&C group (pay what it takes)
Top shelf nutrition (pay what it takes)
Top shelf facilities (pay what it takes)
Top shelf academic support (pay what it takes)
Deepest bench of analysts for game prep, recruiting, etc.
Recruiting and operations support to no end.
Events to bring back ND football alums to campus to mentor players.

This gives Kelly the resources to produce a national championship. If he doesn't cut it, it shows any prospective coach you are all in and will give him everything he needs to win. No shortcuts.

ND has made progress in these areas but it feels like they are reacting instead of leading. If you are in the playoff every other year, your TV deal, merchandise sales, etc go through the roof. It takes $$ to make $$$$$$.
Nailed it. If it wasn't for football ND would be in a peer group with schools like John Carroll, Creighton, Regis, etc.
ndmack
*Schedule Southern Cal for "November 25th" in South Bend.

*Play for a conference championship game like the BB has had success with.

*Summer school credits all the way to 15 credits so footballers can share their load.

*Allowing more grad transfers and transfers from 2-year successful community colleges.

*Affordable admission standards and cheaper tuition for all students at the University of Notre Dame.
ghost_revival_2008
Correct that 5Q nailed it, but your statement underestimates where ND now stands academically (and that is high praise, because the schools you listed are themselves very good academically).
fisher
Athletic dorms won't happen at UND. Part of the appeal of attending UND is that you are a real member of the student body. This aspect of student life has already been eroded due to the training meal program and study halls in the Gug. I'm not pleased about that as it sequesters student athletes from the rest of the student
population.

My sole action would be to duct tape Kelly to his locker at game time and release him with 00:01 seconds remaining on the game clock. By the time he got to the tunnel he couldn't influence the outcome of the game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.