Thoughts on 2023 Notre Dame Signee Markus Burton

13,775 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Buccos815
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The first thing that pops out about 2023 Penn (Ind.) guard Markus Burton is that fact he could average 50 a night if he wanted and he wouldn't be labeled a volume shooter. Burton scored 44 points against St. Joseph on Tuesday night on 18-for-25 from the floor.

It was an all-out attack on the rim for most of the night as he can get to the basket any time he wants at this level. For the younger crowd, Burton would be part of the "Jelly Fam" as he has an extensive layup package and finishing comes easy to him. He did have a dunk, but it took about everything he had on a breakaway, so I'm not expecting to see too many of those when he's at Notre Dame, but he's also 5-foot-10.

As a shooter, it's what you'd expect from a scoring guard. He's got a nice mid-range jumper and he already knows how to get to his spots. The elbow jumper is likely something you'll see quite a bit from him in the blue and gold. Burton can pull up from the elbow, but he also has a nice step back, which plays very well off his ability to drive to the basket. Burton's three-ball will likely need some hours in the gym to fine-tune. It's a weapon, but at times he leans too much into it. It's a pure shot, but he'll be more consistent with a little work.

Burton's ball handling is very good. He's able to break guys down and attack, but also create his own shot and then create for his teammates. Right now, Burton's the best player on the floor, so all the attention goes to him when he drives, which makes easier to find teammates, but I don't see that being an issue at the next level. As a comparison, Burton is similar to Prentiss Hubb in terms of being able to create for his teammates off the dribble. He has better ball handling than Hubb (which allows him to attack the rim any time he wants) and plays more under control, but they both can get by their defender in any situation. The difference is Burton's control after he makes his move by the defender. Hubb didn't necessarily have a plan all the time, but Burton does at the high school level.

Defensively, Burton is active in passing lanes and really gets under his opponent. He's crafty for a guy his size, but also made an impressive block on Notre Dame baseball commit Jayce Lee, who is 6'3/6'4. I can see seem being a pest to opponents in ACC on the defensive end. He won't ever be a lockdown defender, but if he can create turnovers and wear out the opposition, then he's doing his job.

At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, Burton is going to need to spend time in the weight room to be a consistent player in the ACC. He's obviously not the biggest guy and never will be, but Notre Dame has had several guards in his mold that have done just fine against major conference play.

It'll be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years. Some will be concerned about a guy like him driving to the rim and if that translates to the next level, but Burton consistently dropped 30 on the AAU circuit over the last few years against high D1 talent. But getting bigger and stronger will be key so he can handle the contact of the ACC over the course of an entire season.

If you look at his highlights from Tuesday and his highlights vs 2023 five-star big man Xavier Booker over the summer, it's like watching the same game. Booker's 6-foot-10 frame didn't slow him down as he scored 35 in the win over Cathedral this summer.

I do think he can run the point in college, but he'll be a scoring point guard, which is similar to Hubb. To be honest, Burton reminds me of that 5-foot-10 mid-major kid that destroys major conference teams in March. Jelly Walker from UAB came to mind.

Burton vs. Cathedral

Burton vs. St. Joseph

Notre Dame Fighting Irish Guinness Stadium Pullover Hoodie

garbageplate
Good stuff- appreciate the report.
ndfamily65
I hope he executes his commitment to ND. Next coach could use some players.
VISTADEL
Is Burton solid in terms of his commitment to the program i.e. any chance he asks out of his commitment to look around as one of the other commits did this week?
elvislives
ANYONE WHO CAN COACH AND IS WILLING TO WORK HARD AT RECRUITING IS AN UPGRADE FROM BREY.
mattfreeman
Staff
VISTADEL said:

Is Burton solid in terms of his commitment to the program i.e. any chance he asks out of his commitment to look around as one of the other commits did this week?
TBD.

It's not easy for Friedrichsen and Burton. They are guards who were going to play early in a guard friendly offense.
pshakes831
elvislives said:

ANYONE WHO CAN COACH AND IS WILLING TO WORK HARD AT RECRUITING IS AN UPGRADE FROM BREY.

Yeah, just hire Moser like they should have two years ago. Pay the price. It's the Swarbrick Stupidity Tax
kmacnd
Moser has been to two NCAA tournaments in 19 years. His career winning percentage is .548. He is 145-175 for his career in league play. 9-17 in the BIG 12. Why is that the guy you want?
keough33
Do we like idea of Shaka Smart? He's at Marquette.
The Keoughs
ChitownIrish23
keough33 said:

I actually love the idea of Shaka smart and always thought he'd be a great fit at Notre dame. But again as has been discussed many times, that would require a professional athletic director and president power play. You think that Jenkins and swarbrick are capable of that? It would also require an actual commitment to the basketball program by Notre dame. I'm also not sure that's going to happen either
tcbrindle
ChitownIrish23 said:

keough33 said:

I actually love the idea of Shaka smart and always thought he'd be a great fit at Notre dame. But again as has been discussed many times, that would require a professional athletic director and president power play. You think that Jenkins and swarbrick are capable of that? It would also require an actual commitment to the basketball program by Notre dame. I'm also not sure that's going to happen either

As someone who's followed Shaka extensively and had a buddy on his staff for over a decade. His shine has really faded. His VCU run has been magical but other than the run, his ncaa tournament record is abysmal. He's made it to the round of 32 twice and I believe ( maybe im wrong ) he's lost his last 7 first round games.
Texas he could recruit anyone he wanted too and did and yet they struggled with him. Let's see what he does w Marquette but I'm not sure he'd move the needle as much as his name suggests versus how he actually coaches.
mattfreeman
Staff
Shaka would be a great hire in my opinion. That said, he failed at Texas with bigger resources than Notre Dame.

The other piece is why the hell would Shaka leave Marquette for Notre Dame. He is king on that campus and he's already been at a school where hoops is second fiddle. If I'm him, I also don't want to completely rebuild a program with restrictions that will make it tougher. He's got a good thing at Marquette right now - and I'd imagine his next move will be to a bigger school - but one that doesn't require a complete rebuild.
ChitownIrish23
mattfreeman said:

Shaka would be a great hire in my opinion. That said, he failed at Texas with bigger resources than Notre Dame.

The other piece is why the hell would Shaka leave Marquette for Notre Dame. He is king on that campus and he's already been at a school where hoops is second fiddle. If I'm him, I also don't want to completely rebuild a program with restrictions that will make it tougher. He's got a good thing at Marquette right now - and I'd imagine his next move will be to a bigger school - but one that doesn't require a complete rebuild.

I agree with that, however I would consider Notre Dame a step up from Marquette and just conference affiliation alone. What is there to get excited about in regard to Marquette basketball? Notre Dame is playing duke, North carolina, virginia, Syracuse, Louisville Etc. I totally agree with you and that it's not an easy rebuild, but for the right coach it could be turned around relatively quickly.
mattfreeman
Staff
ChitownIrish23 said:

mattfreeman said:

I agree with that, however I would consider Notre Dame a step up from Marquette and just conference affiliation alone. What is there to get excited about in regard to Marquette basketball? Notre Dame is playing duke, North carolina, virginia, Syracuse, Louisville Etc. I totally agree with you and that it's not an easy rebuild, but for the right coach it could be turned around relatively quickly.
Sure the ACC is better but is the Notre Dame job that much better? I don't think so esp when you add in the rebuild.

Marquette is currently a 4-seed in the latest bracketology.

For perspective: Notre Dame has been a 4-seed or better 5 times since 1980.
ndsean44
kmacnd said:

Moser has been to two NCAA tournaments in 19 years. His career winning percentage is .548. He is 145-175 for his career in league play. 9-17 in the BIG 12. Why is that the guy you want?
Loyola hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 1985 and that was the only time they had made it between 1968 and 2010. Over 4 decades and 1 tournament appearance.

Moser gets them to 2, and not only gets them there, gets a Final Four and Sweet Sixteen appearance in those two appearances.
kmacnd
Ok, and Oklahoma had been 7 out of 9 years previously and he's on his way to 0-2. He had a good 4 year run at Loyola, outside of that he hasn't finished above 5th in league play in his other 15 years.
CelticIrish
ChitownIrish23 said:

mattfreeman said:

The new Big East has been just as good or better than the ACC over the last few years. Not like he's in the Horizon League at Marquette
Buccos815
This post was brought to you by the 2008 & 2011 Champion of the Irish Eyes Fantasy Football League, the 2009 ISD Runner of the Year, the 2010 Champion of the ISD Pigskin Pick'em League, the 2018 & 2020 Champions of the ISD Fantasy Football League and the 2021 Champion of the ISD NCAA March Madness League
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.