Hoops Offer: 2018 Forward Nate Laszewski

4,732 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by irishbb
chrismcc7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The Notre Dame men's basketball program has extended an offer to 2018 MA SF Nate Laszewski. The 6-foot-7 prospect from Northfield Mount Hermon School also has offers from schools like Texas, Texas A&M, USC, Wake Forest, Villanova and Nebraska among several others.

Laszewski is a kid who has been on the board for a while, but with this offer, the Irish have to be considered serious contenders. He's already visited for a football game last fall.
irishbb
Laszewski is almost 6' 9" right now.

He can be a Stretch 4.

He's a take
PortND
irishbb said:

Laszewski is almost 6' 9" right now.

He can be a Stretch 4.

He's a take
If truly 6'9" I like this kid better than Hauser, seems to be a bit better athlete than Hauser. I like it, get this kid.

chrismcc7
Staff
Yes, a bit more on this after some digging.

Apparently, Laszewski is almost 6-10 now, according to one guy I spoke with.

He offers position flexibility and can play anything from 3-5, but will mostly be a stretch-4 at the next level.

Notre Dame is one school that he really wanted an offer from and now that he has it, I'm sure it's one he'll consider seriously. I'm not sure he's a guy who will pull the trigger immediately though as I've heard he hasn't really talked about making a decision or a deadline for a decision yet. Could be a guy who takes fall visits and then decides shortly afterward.

Here's my report on Laszewski from four months ago:
ISD Intel, March 3
https://irishsportsdaily.com/forums/1/topics/3949

LASZEWSKI STOCK COULD BE ON THE RISE: As we mentioned here last week, Nate Laszewski is firmly on Notre Dame's radar even though Mike Brey & Co. haven't extended a scholarship offer to the 2018 Massachusetts forward yet.

Laszewski has offers from schools like Villanova, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Baylor and Wake Forest already, but that list is likely to grow soon.

"His recruitment will pick up in the next four or five months because of the spring and summer recruiting periods," one source close to Laszewski told Irish Sports Daily.

"He's starting to do different things. He's almost 6-10 and shoots the hell out of the ball. He's the perfect Notre Dame kid. His recruitment is Notre Dame, Michigan. (North) Carolina is sniffing, Duke is sniffing. There's a lot more."

The source understands why the Irish haven't extended an offer yet.

"Notre Dame saw him and he didn't play well, but they've seen him again and now they're back in," the source said. "They haven't offered him and they're not going to yet. They've got to continue see him doing things."

North Carolina is in the same position with the source saying Roy Williams has watched Laszewski three times.

"If he keeps shooting the ball the way he has at his size and they see him get a little tougher and rebound a little better, they're going to offer him. There's no doubt about it," the source said of the Tar Heels.

Would an offer from a school like North Carolina be the end of Laszewski's recruitment?

"No, no, no," the source said emphatically.

"He's a big-time academic kid, so the Notre Dames, Michigans, Carolinas, Dukes, Northwesterns, that's where it's going to be. The kid's not going to Louisville. It's just not going to happen. He's not going to NC State. The Stanfords of the world, UCLA might once they get their eyes on him."

Wake Forest is one school that has already established itself as a major player.

"He really likes Wake Forest. Danny Manning has done a really good job with him. Wake Forest is in there pretty steep."
PortND
I'm now officially giddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REMND
I was wondering who they would offer next. I wanted Horton-Tucker but I guess Brey wants more length. Nate at 6'9 is a big and he has some mobility based on this year old clip of him.

Battin is getting more raves but I am guessing the emphasis is on matching people with Durham. I think both Battin and Durham are best down low. Nate has a bit of a handle.
Buccos815
Great news--thanks Christian.
This post was brought to you by the 2008 & 2011 Champion of the Irish Eyes Fantasy Football League, the 2009 ISD Runner of the Year, the 2010 Champion of the ISD Pigskin Pick'em League, the 2018 & 2020 Champions of the ISD Fantasy Football League and the 2021 Champion of the ISD NCAA March Madness League
irishbb
North Carolina could still offer.

Roy Williams has seen him several and Roy does love
his bigs. If Williams projects him with 15-20 pounds of muscle
in the future he might take a shot.

I do think that the UNC academic scandal would be a factor.

He is a big time student.
tcbrindle
Wish Brey had offered just a tad sooner but hopefully can hold off unc. I like his game and his ability to use the dribble as a weapon. Great fit for coach's offense. I believe you've seen him a lot so I love that he has your stamp of approval.
Buccos815
irishbb said:

I do think that the UNC academic scandal would be a factor.

Don't forget that Notre Dame has its own recent academic scandal.
This post was brought to you by the 2008 & 2011 Champion of the Irish Eyes Fantasy Football League, the 2009 ISD Runner of the Year, the 2010 Champion of the ISD Pigskin Pick'em League, the 2018 & 2020 Champions of the ISD Fantasy Football League and the 2021 Champion of the ISD NCAA March Madness League
irishbb
IMO the ND " scandal " was limited to someone the NCAA determined
was a staff member ( in a very tenuous manner ) and a handful of wrong
headed FB players.

The UNC situation was lengthy in duration and systemic in nature.
Buccos815
Substantively, I agree.

But the appearance, from a recruiting perspective, neutralizes the issue as between the two schools to an outsider who has not studied all the nuances.
irishbb
We do agree Buccos.

If I were Brey I would tell the young man that MBB has graduated 100% of their players
in the last 17 or 18 years.

I would also say that the issue had nothing to do with MMB , however unfortunate..

Then I would have Abro make a call on behalf of ND. Abro posted stellar academic
accomplishments at ND.
irishbb
This kid reminds me of the long list of Wisconsin forwards who are
6'9" and can play inside and out. Recently Hayes and Haff come to mind
but Ryan had so many terrific big forwards who had well rounded games.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.