Quick quarterback outlook for the upcoming 2021 season.

Jack Coan Sr

Brendan Clark Jr

Drew Pyne So

Tyler Buchner Fr

Ron Powlus III Fr

After a few years of a familiar face leading the offense, Notre Dame will have a "new" signal-caller under center.

Jack Coan is the front-runner. A grad-transfer from Wisconsin will start the spring with the most experience and big game notches on his belt. I really believe the position is his to lose.

Brendan Clark and Drew Pyne are his biggest competition in my opinion. Clark is recovering from knee surgery. The extent of the injury is unknown, so I am going with a long recovery but will be ready for the fall. Missing the spring snaps and a likely cautious approach in the fall may hinder him. Pyne is limited but I think this will be his best opportunity to move his name up the depth chart.

Tyler Buchner is supposed to be a big-time get, but I'm already hearing some things that are concerning and don't expect him, a true freshmen, to play a role in 2021. Mainly, his mechanics are a concern (winding up his throws vs. bring ball above the shoulder and using your hips to generate throw power). I think Buchner spends the next 18 months working on mechanics, learning the playbook, adjusting to college responsibilities, and adjusting to college academics. I think in the fall of 2022 Buchner should be ready to challenge for a shot at QB1. A long way to go..

Ron Powlus should provide depth in a couple of years. No impact in 2021.