My New York Giants Mock Draft - 2.0 (2021)

3,760 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by subalum75
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, in my Mock Draft 2.0, I'm factoring in the needs that the Giants addressed during free agency. There seemed to be a clear plan in free agency to provide Daniel Jones with weapons. The G-Men added a #1 WR (in their opinion - Kenny Golladay), a RB (Devontae Booker), TE (Kyle Rudolph), and a second WR (John Ross).

While the Giants filled other needs in free agency, it now seems like the direction to go in the draft will now be to focus on defense. Specifically, playmakers and then EDGE pass rushers. It also never hurts to add a quality offensive linemen!! For the record, I did not make any trades.

Giants Needs LB, OL, Edge, WR, TE, IDL, CB

My hope for the first round was for Micah Parsons to survive the first 10 picks. He is a playmakers who can play the run and rush the passer.

In the second round, I was going to go with the highest ranked at either OL/DL. I believe you win in the trenches!!

Rounds 3 and 4 I will look to fill needs, but hopefully find a difference maker with one of the picks

No 5th round pick.

Two 6 round picks.

The draft went pretty much as expected during the first 10 picks.

1 Trevor Lawrence (JAX)
2 Penei Sewell (NYJ)
3 Ja'Marr Chase (MIA)
4 Kyle Pitts (ATL)
5 Rashawn Slater (CIN)
6 Zach Wilson (PHI)
7 Jaylen Waddle (DET)
8 Trey Lance (CAR)
9 Justin Fields (DEN)
10 Patrick Surtain II (DAL)

Now, I'm on the clock!!

1 Micah Parsons (LB Penn State) - With the 11th pick in the first round, the Giants select: Micah Parsons (LB).

Micah Parsons (LB) projects as a dynamic impact player at the NFL level. Parsons, who elected to opt-out of the 2020 college football season, has two seasons of high-impact play on his film resume and his impact was only further affirmed as the Penn State defense fell apart without him on the field for the 2020 season.

2 Liam Eichenberg (OT Notre Dame)

Liam Eichenberg (OL) is an NFL-ready starting left tackle who should find assimilating to the pro game fairly easy. Eichenberg isn't the most fleet of foot and speed rushers with wide angles can test him off the edge, but sound fundamentals and footwork should have him positioned to contest such challenges with a fair amount of success.

3 Tylan Wallace (WR Oklahoma State)

Tylan Wallace (WR) - Aligning mostly as the Z receiver predominantly to the right side only, Wallace has been a prolific option in the team's offense. An offense with mostly Air Raid principles, his responsibilities were limited to a select few when running routes on the perimeter.

4 Janarius Robinson (EDGE Florida State)

Florida State defensive end Janarius Robinson (EDGE) was a 4-star recruit that started for three seasons in college. While his production was modest, the entire Seminoles defense has underachieved as the coaching staff struggled to develop talent and use players to their strengths. With that said, the flashes from Robinson are exciting. Robinson has long arms, heavy hands, and a stocky build that was engineered to play on the edge in the NFL.

6 Patrick Johnson (EDGE - Tulane)

Patrick Johnson (EDGE) In 34 games played across the last three seasons, Patrick Johnson has quietly been one of college football's most productive defensive playmakers. Over that span, Johnson has accumulated 120 tackles, 34 tackles for loss, 21 sacks, 11 pass breakups, and six forced fumbles.

6 Justin Hilliard (LB Ohio State)

Justin Hilliard (LB) is one of a slew of Buckeyes linebackers to be passing through the NFL draft process this season. Hilliard was the de facto LB4 and therefore rotated amongst the likes of Pete Werner, Baron Browning, and Tuf Borland. Hilliard certainly has merits as a prospect and on a different team may have had a greater opportunity to showcase his abilities and drum up more interest.
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In summary, I really loved the first two picks (Parsons and Eichenberg)!!

I regret Wallace in the 3rd round. I think I could have landed a similar WR in the 4th. In hindsight, I should have taken the best DE or CB on the board with this pick.

The 4th round I grabbed the best EDGE rusher on the board, filling a need.

In the 6th round, I grabbed another EDGE rusher. This is a big area of need for the Giants so hoping one of these breaks through.

In the 6trh round, I added depth a LB. Hilliard comed from Ohio State so hopefully he was lost in the mix in college and breaks out in the NFL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.