Ara Parseghian Passes Away at 94

5,812 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jvsirish
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Coach Parseghian passed away last night.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/breaking-former-notre-dame-coach-ara-parseghian-dies-at-age-94

GRANGER, Ind. Hall of Fame coach Ara Parseghian has died.

The 94-year-old recently returned to his home in Granger, after spending more than a week in a nursing care facility because of an infection in his surgically-repaired hip.

Parseghian died at 1:30 a.m. at his Granger home, according to a release from Notre Dame.

"Notre Dame mourns the loss of a legendary football coach, a beloved member of the Notre Dame family and good man Ara Parseghian," Rev. John I. Jenkins was quoted in the news release. "Among his many accomplishments, we will remember him above all as a teacher, leader and mentor who brought out the very best in his players, on and off the field.

"He continued to demonstrate that leadership by raising millions of research dollars seeking a cure for the terrible disease that took the lives of three of his grandchildren. Whenever we asked for Ara's help at Notre Dame, he was there.

"My prayers are with Katie, his family and many friends as we mourn his passing and celebrate a life that was so well lived."

Parseghian returned home Wednesday after being treated with intravenous antibiotics at a South Bend facility.
Parseghian coached Notre Dame for 11 seasons, winning national championships in 1966 and '73. He went 95-17-4 with the Fighting Irish.

"As a student, I enjoyed the thrill of being on campus for Ara's last three years as head coach, including the 1973 championship, and saw firsthand the profound impact that he had of my classmates who played for him," saidJack Swarbrick, vice president and James E. Rohr director of athletics. "When I returned many years later as athletics director, Ara was unfailingly generous with his time, and his counsel proved to be invaluable."

Parseghian began his head coaching at career at Miami University, his alma mater, in 1951. He spent five seasons at Miami and went 39-6-1. He then spent eight seasons at Northwestern, winning 36 games.
After his coaching career, Parseghian spent more than a decade calling games as an analyst on ABC and CBS.
mattfreeman
Staff
jhiggins993
I will always remember the 1966 season and later in his career sitting in Northwestern's stadium listening to the ND students chant "Ara Stop the Rain" and lo and behold the rain stopped.

He was a great coach and great representative of ND values. My prayers are with his family.

RIP Coach.
OrlandoDomer76
Higgins, I was just about to write the same thing. "Ara Stop the Rain"!!! What a great memory!!!! We loved him as a coach and person.
lmvettel
Ara was a fantastic coach and an even better human being. Those who played for him loved him till the very end. I'm sure his funeral will include many of his former players... RIP Coach.
Reluctant Randy
God Bless Ara and his family.
“If we had to do it all over again, we should have thrown the ball a little bit more." Brian Kelly aka Rupert Pupkin
73Irish
jhiggins993 said:

I will always remember the 1966 season and later in his career sitting in Northwestern's stadium listening to the ND students chant "Ara Stop the Rain" and lo and behold the rain stopped.

He was a great coach and great representative of ND values. My prayers are with his family.

RIP Coach.
Early in his career at ND, the students started an "Ara stop the rain" chant. Ara reportedly turned to coach Tom Pagna and asked "Do you think I could"?

Later in his career another "Ara stop the rain" chant broke out. This time Coach P turned to Pagna and said "Do you think I should"?
ndsean44
All I know now, is that we better win a sh*t ton of games this year or Ara's gonna be pissed up there.

If you can't muster up that extra bit of fortitude to remember one of the greatest ND men of all time, then what can you do it for?

There may never ever be a man quite as influential to our lady as Ara.
bklynirish
To have had the incredible privilege of sitting in the student section when this man roamed the sideline, knowing, without a shred of doubt, that we had the advantage over ANY team in leadership, and to have then sat in a stadium in New Orleans when he proved it over Bear Bryant is an experience i would not surrender for almost anything. I spoke to him in passing maybe twice on campus, ("Hi, Coach"), with respect and awe. We will never see his like again, that's for sure. RIP Coach. You belong to the ages.
jvsirish
I was sitting near center court in the old field house. In a few weeks I would complete my undergrad degree and miss graduation ceremonies because I enlisted in the army to get the MOS i wanted since 'Nam was heating up. At half time of the ND - North Carolina BB game Ara was introduced to fans and students. With his quiet confidence Ara strode to center court, microphone in hand, to a standing, thunderous ovation. I times the happening. I thought it might be historic. 1 minute passed. Two minutes and Ara's hand holding the mic began trembling slightly. 3 minutes and Ara's smile faded to straight lip line fighting to maintain composure. 4 minutes and a tear rolled down his cheek. At five minutes the roar began subsiding and Ara took control in s strong voice saying, "After accepting the position as Notre Dame football coach I read every book I could find about Notre Dame, its history and spirit. I now know that I did not fully understand the spirit of Notre Dame until this moment." The field house exploded in cheers. That is a forever golden moment etched in my aging memory banks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.