Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | Georgia Tech at No. 8 Notre Dame

November 19, 2021

Georgia Tech (3-7) at No. 8 Notre Dame (9-1)

Notre Dame Stadium | 2:30 p.m. ET | NBC | Notre Dame -17 | O/U: 58

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth Chart Schedule | Visit List

Senior Day 

The end of the 2021 season isn’t going to be kind to Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets enter Saturday’s game at Notre Dame on a four-game losing streak and will play Georgia next week to end the regular season. 

Georgia Tech running back Jahmyr Gibbs is one of the finest running backs in the country and stopping him will be key, but the Yellow Jackets have little else as the sophomore leads the team in rushing and receiving. 

Notre Dame will need to manage Senior Day emotions early, but this also isn't a team that seems like they’ll play down to the competition with the College Football Playoffs still on the line. 

It could very well be the last game at Notre Dame Stadium for Kyren Williams and I expect the junior running back to have a big day. 

And mark it down. Lorenzo Styles will get a touchdown that counts this week. 

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame DE Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa
After missing the Virginia game with the flu, expect him to be ready to go and finish his Notre Dame career with an exclamation point on Senior Day. 

Georgia Tech RB Jahmyr Gibbs
One of the best all-around backs in the country, Notre Dame should never kick it to him as a returner and make sure they never are in a bad matchup in the passing game against him. He is a gamebreaker if they give him a chance to be.

Notre Dame S Ramon Henderson
He has a breakout performance against Virginia and we get to see if he can carry that over to Georgia Tech. 

Georgia Tech LB Charlie Thomas
He makes an impact as a blitzer and has been one of the few bright spots on a disappointing defense. He leads their defense in Havoc and he'll need to provide plenty of it against the Irish.

Notre Dame DL Rylie Mills
Mills was too good stepping up in the absence of MTA not to see the field more this week. Tech has had injuries up front and the Notre Dame pass rush should be able to take advantage of that.

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame QB Jack Coan: 
"To be honest, I'm going to try to soak it all in - my last one at Notre Dame Stadium. It's crazy how quick it's gone. It's going to be emotional, but I'll do my best to back those emotions and focus on the game." 

Notre Dame K Jon Doerer: 
"It happened faster than I thought it would when you're a sophomore or junior. You just don't see it coming that quickly. Now, that it's here, it's kind of unbelievable and I'm glad to be here." 

Notre Dame DL Kurt Hinish: 
"We've talked about it all week. Everyone remembers their last home game in college. We're going to play a really good opponent and we're not overlooking the opponent at all, but I'm excited for senior night." 

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly:
"This team has been focused week to week. What's important now is beating Georgia Tech. If we do that, we think we get one step closer. Beat Stanford and you get one step closer. 

"We're in the hunt. We're in the mix. That's what we try to do each and every year. This is about graduating champions and playing for championships. We go into late November with a chance to play for a championship and we're still on that journey. 

"Let's take care of business this week against Georgia Tech. Reassess the situation and there are a lot of teams in front of us that play each other. Let's go beat Georgia Teach and we get one step closer." 

For Your Nerves 

TEAM STATS Georgia Tech Notre Dame
Points Per Game 28.8 32.3
Points Allowed Per Game 30.2 20.5
Total Yards 401.3 396.6
Yards Passing 221.1 252.0
Yards Rushing 180.2 144.6
Yards Allowed 447.4 361.6
Pass Yards Allowed 271.9 227.6
Rush Yards Allowed  175.5 134.0

Game Thread | Georgia Tech at No. 8 Notre Dame

45,273 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ND_Chelu
jorsr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No complaints here
irishbronx
Our final score needs to start with a 6.
Jaxdulac
Nope. Very impressive half.
mikesul
irishbronx said:

If it doesn't start with a 9 I'll be forced to **** post about Brian Kelly and tommy Rees until mike sends me on vacation. Basic self defense.
rmirish
Rwolf101 said:

Dillon1986 said:

This board cracks me up… All I heard about during the Virginia game was that we weren't going for the jugular and now everyone is complaining that we are still blitzing and challenging calls (Kelly was correct by the way). if we are going to be aggressive then let's be aggressive without any guilt!

Who's complaining about blitzing??
And challenging a spot for a yard gain when you're first and goal either way up 38-0 is just pointless.
No it's not. Get the call right. The players are playing hard, make the refs do the same.
NDFanT
I can't remember the last half of ND football where I had literally nothing to complain about like today. Everything was good.
Sgt Hulka
Missed the first half due to having to pick my kid up at college. They look that good or is GT just that god-awful or a little bit of both.
irishbearcat09
Ohio State was up 49-0 on the #7 team at home. This is a microcosm of why BK will never win anything meaningful, including a game of tic tac toe.
IanY77
This is fun. My systolic blood pressure starts with a "1" for the first time all year.

Seriously, dominating defensive performance, great o-line, Coan looks commanding, Kyren is the most fun RB I can remember...this is great!
toliver0917
irishbronx said:

I have my fingers crossed that it starts with a 1
ND_Chelu
"Do you prefer the Napa Chardonnay or Santa Barbara Sauvignon Blanc?"
zulu
This is the D I expected to see all year.
irishinatl00
So this is how Alabama fans feel during 50% of their games each season
tvanp63
Sgt Hulka said:

Missed the first half due to having to pick my kid up at college. They look that good or is GT just that god-awful or a little bit of both.

They are playing really well and GT is bad. The wonderful perfect storm!
SWANSEA
Sgt Hulka said:

A lot both.
tonyndnick
I figure Coan will start the 2nd half and play the first series and then on to Buchner and Pyne.
ndSlaw
I have a complaint... That was bad tackling
mbmirish
If anyone knows or has info on Kiser please post. Thanks
Rwolf101
Yikes. That was an awful decision by Yates.
REMND
I hate seeing Botehlo downfield
irishduffy
I love the Bo Bauer Okie Doke!
IanY77
Saw him walking around on the sideline with his helmet on just before the half. He'll be okay ish this week. No point playing him again today.
Rwolf101
And Mr Glass is hurt.
MAS
Why is Coan in?
Rwolf101
Happy Jay Bramblett can get a stat today.
mattfreeman
Staff
First punt of the day for Jay Bramblett goes 48 yards.
IRISHLOYAL
Why the hell is Coan still playing?
ND_Chelu
MAS said:

Why is Coan in?
lol. Senior Day.
tvanp63
Okay, Buchner/Pyne the rest of the way.
MAS
ND_Chelu said:

MAS said:

Why is Coan in?
lol. Senior Day.

And?
MattPaulND
IRISHLOYAL said:

Why the hell is Coan still playing?
Hopefully not to go three and out.
ND_Chelu
MAS said:

ND_Chelu said:

MAS said:

Why is Coan in?
lol. Senior Day.

And?
I just hope we win.
MAS
ND_Chelu said:

MAS said:

ND_Chelu said:

MAS said:

Why is Coan in?
lol. Senior Day.

And?
I just hope we win.

It is tight. I get not risking the game getting reps for the freshman who will start next year.
Rwolf101
ND_Chelu said:

MAS said:

ND_Chelu said:

MAS said:

Why is Coan in?
lol. Senior Day.

And?
I just hope we win.

It'll be close but we might pull this one off.
TripperHarrison
#40 still hyped

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.