When did you become a fan of the Fighting Irish?

9,735 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sadirisheyes
saturdaysarebetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When did you become a fan of the Fighting Irish? What is your earliest recollection of how it happened?

For me, after church on Sundays as a kid, late '60s, watching ND highlights with Lindsey Nelson and Joe Theismann at QB.
Buccos815
I didn't "become" a fan; I was "born" a fan.
This post was brought to you by the 2008 & 2011 Champion of the Irish Eyes Fantasy Football League, the 2009 ISD Runner of the Year, the 2010 Champion of the ISD Pigskin Pick'em League, the 2018 & 2020 Champions of the ISD Fantasy Football League and the 2021 Champion of the ISD NCAA March Madness League
irishcraig
November 19, 1966 - Michigan State 9 - 0 and ranked No. 2 vs Notre Dame 8 - 0, ranked No. 1. The game ended in a 10 - 10 tie. Notre Dame went on to win the national championship after beating #10 USC 51 - 0.

GVSND
9 months before October 11, 1963. My first memories involve yelling "go Irish!".
GVSND

hockey8390
When I was about six. My neighbors kids went to Notre Dame and I went for a game. Was the place for me ever since.
D8NDomer
Much like Buccos, my father was a fan so we all were fans; listening to games while raking leaves on Saturdays and watching Lindsay Nelson on Sundays.

I was "confirmed" in 1966 when I attended my first game, while a HS sophomore, and saw Nick Eddy return a KO for a TD and Fling to Cling to beat Purdue. My dad even appeared in the SI story following the game, as a fan in the background stands rising to cheer the Seymour catch.
andfan1
I too was 'born' a fan. My parents got married on October 17, 1953. The story goes that after the wedding ceremony, when mom and dad got in the car, dad said to Uncle Don, "turn on the radio and see what Notre dame is doing". ND won 23-17

The first game I remember going to was 1964 vs Iowa. Been going to games every year since.
jjt147
As an Irish Catholic kid from Brooklyn, i have always been one
HFOXX
1964 when Are changed everything around
TulsaDomer
Born a fan 1-4-1960. Cotton Bowl with Texas when 5 and 6. Never loved anyone else.
mdmeeker
Let's see..my Dad graduated from ND in 1940 and the first time I really remember focusing on ND was in 1954 when I was in 7th grade and my teacher, Sister Rosalia, gave me a ND flag. At that time, she must have know I was a big ND fan. Go Irish. Marty '63.
Charliesarmy
I am with Buccos. There was never a question if I was going to be a fan, it was a given. Fortunately I was able to experience. It first hand. Claw of 1980.
InLeaWeTrust
Don't even remember a specific game or year. I grew up watching with my father, my mother, my sister, my grandmother. We all loved ND football. So when I woke up on saturdays. We watched ND football. And that was it. It was my childhood, and probably one of my favorite parts of it. The entire family, together, cheering for the same team.

Fast forward. My wife and I do the same. I talk with my Dad, mom, sis, etc about the game every week, from across the country. Can't shake it and don't want to.
ndelkhart
1963 watching Notre Dame games on channel 16 not a good year but the following year was amazing
rmichra
My grandfather was working at the Santa Rita Hotel in Tucson, Az when Notre Dame came through by train on their way to play Stanford. They stopped overnight in Tucson which they referred to as "cowtown". My grandfather came home talking about what well mannered, rosy cheeked polite young men had stayed at the hotel. From then on my family started following Notre Dame. We watched the Sunday morning Lindsey Nelson recap of the previous day's game. My earliest recollection was watching ND play Texas in the 1970 Cotton Bowl.
kozachok
I became a fan in 1946. I watched the ND/ Army game on a 5 inch TV in Jersey City. Emil Sitko was my hero as well as Johnny Lujack. Peter
billdeseta
During the 40's I listened to the games on the radio and then in 1950, Tom Potter who was a reserve on those 40's teams became the head coach at my high school and I played for him for three years.
Bill-'58
ndusn
Listened to the 1946 0-0 tie vs Army at Yankee Stadium.
john2202
54 years!!!!
rhenry84
Born in South Bend and grew up on Rockne Dr. My uncle was a SB Police sergeant that worked the games. My dad and I went to a game, probably in the mid-50's against Indiana who came out in white, silk-like pants and got their butts kicked. Their shinny white pants were dirty and grass stained when the game was over. Been a fan ever since! Go IRISH!
hoff4
I was born a fan. Watching those Sunday replays of games in the 70s locked it in for sure. Dad a graduate, uncle taught there for over 30 yrs and my grand mother was a house mom for many years. I live for Saturdays. Passed it on to my boys...keep it going...GO IRISH...!!!!
bob1964
wow... scary to think about it... but it was in high school in NY when ND upset Oklahoma in the late 50's...I think probably 1958 ... then because a 100% factor when I enrolled in 1960. Since then super avid and still follow all the updates every day.

Fingers crossed for this year. Say a Wimbush prayer... if he turns the dial... as Keith Jackson used to say, "Katie bar the door!" My surprise stars for 2018 are Armstrong and Young.

Scary thought.... have been a fan for 60 years.
EDOC1
1946 Army game ( age 7). Father had to clean the garage behind the house. Posted me at an open window next to a radio and wearing my winter coat. I had instructions to let him know when something good happened for the Irish. Given the 0-0 tie, I never reported. Pop thought the game was a disaster, but was relieved at the tie.
kevhurls
As a kid in the '70's I had a best friend who's dad went to UMichigan med school. So every flippin' year he'd throw a party at his house for the OSU - (sc)UM rivalry. And me being a kid, of course I wanted the opponent to win. So I wasn't "born" hating (sc)UM. Turns out, I chose wisely as a child.I hate the hell out of Jaimie Hairback and those trifling brats, now.

Or no - the question was/is "When did I become a NotreDame fan?"

Well, pretty much the same answer, though back in the '70's the (sc)um-IRISH game was always the first of the college football season.

Also, I'm real Notre Dame fan. God chooses us; we can't take credit for such a blessing. (;
hawk
Long story my first game 1946 and I was 10. The best part is I am still above ground and looking forward to
Sept 2.
ndusn
Bob64........footnote to your response. I was stationed at a Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi that day. We ND fans (there were a bunch) took over the TV room to watch the 7-0 upset and then went out that night to celebate. The problem was that most of the Okla team were Texans and the locals weren't too happy with our celebration and tossed us (physically) out of a few bars that night. But it was worth it.
dublinbill
Easy..Seprember 1954..went to my first game , Texas..and I rooted for the Longhorns , because I loved those Orange uniforms.
My Dad was a 1935 ND grad but said nothing..just took me into one of the dorms , introduced one of his best friends as the Chaplin ,and told him my instant love of UT..a minute later 3 or so ND players came into the room..I think Stickles , ,maybe Izo,but I am probably wrong..they were about eight foot tall,wide,beard stubble,but the nice guys I had ever met...and I have loved forever from that instant..went on to graduated in 1967..and I still like Texas and the uniforms, but Scarlet and Grey is a whole different kettle of fish.
yepre
I grew up in Mississippi but always watched Notre Dame on NBC because you always knew they would be on. I remember Tim Brown winning the Heisman in 1987. I fell in love with the Irish in 1988 Tony Rice, Ricky Watters, and of course Rocket Ismail.
sadirisheyes
I was born an ND irish fan. Thankfully, I was blessed with attending Notre Dame University and graduated in 1972. Go Irish!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.