Drew Allar vs Gavin Wimsatt - 2022 QBs - SubAlum's Breakdown

3,963 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by subalum75
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the top 2 QB recruits Notre Dame is after in the class of 2022 are Drew Allar and Gavin Wimsatt. I figured this is a great topic to add to the free board and create content and hopefully some conversation.

I am by no means an expert and base my analysis off of (admittedly) Youtube and internet videos, which we all know are an incomplete/skewed profile. I've never seen anyone look bad in a internet video!! That said, I really enjoy this so I'm rolling with it!!

Probably a good idea to explain my ratings system. It is as follows:

I tried to develop a system that could be used as a comparison to Irish Sports Daily. So a recruit's maximum score is 100. I'm sure it is not apples to apples, but I feel it is in the ballpark. If nothing else, it creates conversation and I have content to add.

100-95 5-Star
94-88 4-Star
87-80 3-Star

The following categories are used for my evaluation:

Baseline - Every recruit gets 20 points. This is mainly so I can max them out a 100 overall for a perfect 5-star recruit. I could only come up with 8 other categories to evaluate, so the base 20 helps get them to the 100 range.

**The remaining categories are 1-10. The floor here is 7. So everyone starts at 7

Bio Measurables (for QBs, most will default to 10 unless there is a glaring issue, like being 5'7).

Pre-Snap Tough to rate based off of internet highlights, so everyone gets an 8 unless there is evidence to the contrary

Throw Power

Throw Accuracy

Mobility Athleticism, speed, agility

Pocket Presence can the QB escape pressure and keep play alive with a pass

Mechanics - fundamentals

Intangibles Most will get a 8 here, unless there is evidence (positive or negative) that comes out. Struggles academically, behavior issues, performances at camps, competition level)
subalum75
Drew Allar 6'5 / 220 (3-Star, ISD 93, Rivals - #16 QB)

Baseline 20
Bio 10
Pre-Snap 8
Throw Power 10
Throw Accuracy 9
Mobility 8
Pocket Presence - 9
Mechanics - 7
Intangibles - 8

Total 89

- Excellent arm strength

- Mobile and pocket presence is good. He will move in and out of pocket, reset and complete a pass. Not just escape pocket, tuck and run

- Raw fundamentals. His mechanics can be tightened up. Has a very good arm so I'm thinking it has bailed him out over the years and can overcompensate for gaps in fundamentals

- Throws from different arm angles. Side-arm throws, throws. Gets creative which is instinctual. Probably because of the confidence in his arm strength

- Will run. Keeps plays alive. He is not a speedster, but mobile enough to move around and keep a play alive. Can run to the sideline for 4-5 yards. On a 3rd and short can run a QB keeper for a first down.

- Can make all the throws. Sideline, deep, loft-touch

- Josh Allen / Ben Roethlisberger body type comparison

- His offense is a wide open 5 WR offense. Lots of room to make plays on his feet.

- Has some sandlot in him. Play will breakdown, keeps it alive with feet and arm talent.

subalum75
Gavin Wimsatt 6'3 / 200 (4-Star, ISD 94, Rivals - #3 QB, #60 National)

Baseline 20
Bio 10
Pre-Snap 8
Throw Power 9
Throw Accuracy 9
Mobility 10
Pocket Presence - 8
Mechanics - 8
Intangibles - 8

Total - 90

- Wimsatt is the proto-typical college RPO quarterback. Has the ability to wreck a defense all by himself.

- Very athletic. Elite speed for QB If QB doesn't work out, I can see him transition to WR easily

- Reminds me of Everett Golson. Add an inch or two.

- Arm-strength is solid. Appears to be able to make all the necessary throws. Doesn't stand out like Allar's though

- Once his pocket breaks down, he seems to be just "tuck and run", while Allar would still look to deliver a pass.

subalum75
My final score:

Wimsatt - 90 (4-star on my system)
Allar - 89 (4-star on my system)

Wimsatt is more the proto-type RPO college QB. Dynamic with his legs. Legit 4-star. You know what he is going to be..

Allar excels with his size and arm-strength. Not nearly the athlete Wimsatt is, but quick enough on his feet to keep plays alive and run for a couple of first downs.

I feel like Allar has the higher ceiling. Needs to improve his technique, but if he works hard and puts things together, he can fit into those Josh Allen comparisons.

As of today, I take either one. Wimsatt is more the guarantee at this time. Allar could really develop into something special though.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.