The departure of Mike Elston (DL Coach) to Michigan throws a monkey wrench into the Notre Dame defensive recruiting efforts for the class of 2023. Specifically to the defensive line.

Notre Dame is off to a blazing start to the defensive class of 23. Specifically, on the D-Line, there were verbal commitments from two Top 60 national prospects: Keon Keeley (#35) and Brenan Vernon (#60). Both are listed as defensive ends, but they may end up moving positions on the defense if it helps the overall goal/philosophy.

The loss of Elston, unofficially throws the verbals of Keeley and Vernon off track. While both are still verbally committed, Coach Freeman and Staff will have to put on the full court press to keep them committed and officially sign with Notre Dame.

Enter Al Washington. He has been hired and is the new defensive line coach. Washington was most recently coaching the Linebackers at Ohio St. Supposedly Washington is a dynamic recruiter. Both Keeley and Vernon were excited at the hire, so score one for Notre Dame!!

As for the defensive line as a whole, for the class of 2023. I'd like to see ND lock up 2 interior linemen and add 1-2 more defensive ends.

Defensive Tackle There isn't much going on here from what I can tell. It looks like there have been only 4 offers put out to defensive tackles. Not sure if there is much buzz around any of these 4 committing.

Kendrick Gilbert (IN) Irish Sports Daily rating 86. National rating 85.5

Devan Houston (MD) No Rating

Ashton Sanders (CA) No Rating

John Walker (FL) - Irish Sports Daily rating 93. National rating 92.7

I'm not going to even pretend to have any insight or know what is happening at this position. I think ND can probably get a commitment from Gilbert, just based on location. But do they want a commitment at this point in time? John Walker seems like a legit talent, but pulling him out of Florida will be a tall task.
Again, I'm looking for Notre Dame two sign two defensive tackles in this class. The coaching staff appears to have a lot of room to make up if they hope to add a couple of quality prospects at this position.

Defensive End Notre Dame is already off to a blazing start with the commitments of Keeley (#36) and Vernon (#60). Notre Dame will need to continue to recruit them.

I'm still looking for Notre Dame to add two more D-Ends, for two reasons.

1) I think Keeley and Vernon are shakey commitments.

2) There are a ton of offers out at this position with some HIGHLY, HIGHLY recruited prospects. If Freeman (and Al Washington) is the recruiter we think he is, he should be able to add 2 more national prospects at this position.

Some of the offers……

Neeo Avery MD

Chandavian Bradley MO

Avion Carter TX

Jason Moore MD