Who do you think will be the surprise player on O and D this year for the Irish?

5,699 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 5th qtr irish
Mike Frank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
My picks?

Offense, Tony Jones, Jr.

Defense, Drue Tranquill. I just think he's going to have a huge year.

I will say either Jalen Elliott or Isaiah Robertson is also going to surprise. I could see either becoming very productive, depending on which player starts.

Mike
ratdiggler
Offense - Claypool or Boykin (Alize if I can throw a 3rd in there!)
Defense - D Hayes is gonna break out, like the Tranquil pick too cuz he fits this D, and I've always been a Watkins fan!
5th qtr irish
I am kind of assuming that Daelin Hayes, Alize Jones and Wimbush are going to be strong players this year just based on what we saw in the spring. The guys I am looking out for to surprise people are two seniors.

To me, the left side of the OL should be strong. The key to how effective we will run the ball will be the play of Alex Bars. He has size, experience, tools to be a very good right guard. If he steps forward substantially in his play and helps the winner at RT get acclimated, this will be a very difficult offense to stop. He is capable of it and I think it will happen.

On defense, I think the guy is Jay Hayes. He has size, talent and is now showing the effort needed to be an every down player. SDE fits him and his ability to consistently hold the point of attack week after week will go a long way in determining how ND plays run defense. He needs to win his share of one on one battles in pass rush given the attention others will likely get.

If we get these two guys to step up and be highly productive players, this team can be very good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.