Week 3 (2022) - The Great Reset!! Notre Dame (0-2) vs Cal (2-0)

5,248 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by subalum75
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hesitate to say Notre Dame has hit rock bottom, because a loss this Saturday would result in a new rock bottom!!! Marcus Freeman has a huge challenge in front of him to right the ship. He has lost his starting QB and the offense has looked impotent. There appears to be a lack of talent and depth on the offense. Defensively, the D-line hasn't been able to impose their will. The linebackers play slow. This is a bigger challenge than the point spread would lead us to believe.

What I will be looking for:

Offense:

Drew Pyne will lead the offense. Let's hope not having to look over his shoulder helps him get comfortable and show he can lead the offense to 3-4 touchdown drives?

Can Tommy Rees get the skill position players involved in a game plan that fits their strengths?

Do any of the underclassmen get on the field and make an impact?

Can the O line impose their will and open up some running lanes?

Defense:

Can the D line wreak havoc? Foskey? Ademilola brothers?

Do the linebackers make plays? They seem a step slow…

Can the defense force a turnover?

Do we see some of the young, highly-rated recruits get some run? Sneed? Burham? Kollie? Ford?
subalum75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, ND came out with a hard-fought win against Cal. I'll take it.

They were tight as heck in the first half. Penalties, bad snaps, dropped snaps, dropped passes. That first quarter was a nightmare.

Once the game calmed down, Pyne managed the fame well and our big boys on both sides of the ball controlled the game.

On the offense, ND was able to run the ball between the tackles. Nothing flashy, but kept moving the chains. Rees called a game that would not allow Pyne to lose it for them. That was the right call. I'm thinking it will need to be opened up though this Saturday against UNC.

Defensively, they got pressure and while penalties wiped them away, they did "force" a couple of turnovers. The D kept the game under control while the offense found themselves.

What was I focused on watching the game?

Offense:

Drew Pyne will lead the offense. Let's hope not having to look over his shoulder helps him get comfortable and show he can lead the offense to 3-4 touchdown drives?

After a shaky as heck 1st quarter, Pyne settled down and made the throws/reads he needed to. Let's hope he can build on this.

Can Tommy Rees get the skill position players involved in a game plan that fits their strengths?

You could see a focus on getting Tyree and Mayer the ball. Smart. Don't have to be a genius!!

Do any of the underclassmen get on the field and make an impact?

I did hear Merriweather saw the field. It's a start. Keep building!

Can the O line impose their will and open up some running lanes?

A resounding yes. Coupled with big-back Estime, the ND big boys punished Cal in the middle.

Defense:

Can the D line wreak havoc? Foskey? Ademilola brothers?

Absolutely! Foskey had a sack and several pressures. Same with the Ademilola's. Add in Jacob Lacey with a coupld of big plays.

Do the linebackers make plays? They seem a step slow…

Still a no hear and the weak link of the defense. Nothing positive out of this position group. May as well play the young guys.

Can the defense force a turnover?

Unofficially yes. Called back by penalties, but the defense played well throughout.

Do we see some of the young, highly-rated recruits get some run? Sneed? Burham? Kollie? Ford?

Think I saw Kollie, but still marinating the freshmen on defense apparently.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.