Let's face it. Recruiting at the WR position has been a flat-out disaster. I mean, how is this even possible? ND really can't even start a sold 3 WRs. Not to get to heavy on criticizing, but there are two proven WRs total on the roster. Everyone else is raw, can't seem to get on the field, or hasn't proved much in 4 years. Some would argue there isn't even 2 proven WRs!!!

Whether it was missing on recruits evaluation, injuries, or just flat-out not bringing in the bodies, this position is a disaster.

Here is the current depth chart with their 247 composite rating. Keep in Mind: Davis is out for the year, Wilkins has barely seen the field, Colzie and Merriweather haven't seen the field.

Thomas is still getting his feet wet. I see some promise.

Lenzy is what he is.

Styles is the only WR that I can see playing on Sundays.

2017 - Avery Davis (Sr) - .9078 (Not sure if this is based on Davis playing QB in HS?)
2018 Braden Lenzy (Sr) - .9174
2018 Joe Wilkins (Sr) - .8636
2021 Deion Colzie (So) - .9570
2021 Lorenzo Styles (So) - .9477
2021 - Jayden Thomas (So) - .8991
2022 Tobias Merriweather (Fr) - .9512

WR Recruits that didn't pan out:

2017 Michael Young, Jafar Armstrong (Poor Avery Davis. Recruited at QB, became a valuable WR but plagued by injuries)

2018 Micah Jones, Lawrence Keys (Kevin Austin has moved on. I think he could have used another year in college, but he would probably have 5 catches after 3 games)

2019 Kendall Abdur-Rahim (Cam Hart is a win……on the defensive side of the ball)

2020 Jordan Johnson, Jay Brunelle (Xavier Watts seems like a better fit on Defense)

2021 JoJo Johnson

Just a wasteland of misses at the WR position.

Future is looking bright though!!!

With the addition of WRs coach, Chansi Stuckey, I do think MF made a good hire. Stuckey's recruiting ability has paid immediate dividends, bringing in 3 blue-chip prospects with a 247 rating above .9.

Braylon James (64 / 180) Top 100 - .9493
Jaden Greathouse (6-2 / 210) Top 100 - .9490
Rico Flores (6'2 / 190) Top 200 - .9217

Fingers crossed that they can stomach this current ND offense and say committed.

Earlier in the 2023 recruiting campaign, ND appeared to be favorites for Ronan Hanafin, but he spurned ND for Clemson.

ND was thought to be in the lead for Taeshun Lyons (6'2 / 170) out of CA, but he seems to have "blown up" and will be taking his time. Seems like the lack of a passing game and being WR #4 in the class has Lyons hesitating. This is where Freeman and Stuckey's ability to recruit will come in handy. They aren't going to be out-worked. We will see if they land their man.

From a numbers perspective, I feel strongly that the class needs a 4th WR.

Fast Forward to 2024 ND is off to a hot start! They already have a top 100 commit on the board Cam Williams (6-2 / 175) - .9572

Also, ND appears to be players on a handful of other top WR. Within that group Ryan Wingo, Mylan Graham, and Brauntae Johnson (these three are top 100 recruits, although not sure if Braunte Johnson is being recruited as a WR.

There are also a few prospects being recruited as an Athlete. Names to consider: Kaj Sanders, Emmett Mosley, Aneyas Williams, Josiah Brown are top 300 recruits. I'm fairly certain Williams would be a RB.