The Notre Dame men's basketball program extended its first offer in the Class of 2022 to Donovan Clingan on Monday, the first day college coaches could directly contact rising juniors.

The 7-foot Clingan was a hot commodity today, also adding offers from Michigan State and Rutgers. I spoke with a source close to Clingan this afternoon and was told there will "definitely" be more high-major offers coming Clingan's way.

Clingan plays for Bristol Central High School in Connecticut, but is part of Team Spartans AAU program based out of Boston.

Current Irish guard Cormac Ryan is close friends with the director of that program and I'm told Ryan helped put a word in for Clingan. I'm told that connection could now help the Irish's pursuit as there will be a built-in trust factor with Ryan, who has had positive things to say about his experience at Notre Dame so far.

I was told the 7-footer is up to 275 pounds, but still has the athleticism and skill to be a truly versatile big, being able to play with his back to the basket while also having the ability to shoot it from deep on pick-and-pop plays.

Obviously, visits are still closed, but I'm told Clingan and his camp intend to get to the Midwest at some point to get looks at Notre Dame, Michigan State and Michigan. Obviously, schools in the Northeast like Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers and UConn are easier to get to and I'd expect to see stops at some of those schools as well.

A separate source told me that Notre Dame is only extending offers to prospects in the 2022 class who they "know are great fits."

All to say, my sources tell me the Irish got in relatively early on a good one and will have a chance to make a serious run at him.