Report: Brey Turned Down Georgetown

7,481 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jason4irish
chrismcc7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

CBS' Gary Parrish reports that Georgetown inquired about Mike Brey potentially filling their vacancy at head coach, but that the Notre Dame HC politely turned the Hoyas down. Parrish reports Texas' Shaka Smart did the same.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/georgetown-inquires-about-mike-brey-shaka-smart-but-will-land-neither-as-coach/
chrismcc7
Staff

REMND
Hmmm.

Catholic school. Good recruiting area. Big East. Have they called Crean yet? That sounds like a good fit.
Frankbuz
Sorry, but Georgetown is not ND or Texas. Not even close. Both coaches would have taken a step or two down.
jfr03
That's good.
jzappitelli
I love Mike Brey!
ndfamily65
In the current moment, you are right. GTOWN is not ND or Texas. But the potential is greatest at GTOWN with Texas next and ND third. ND's administration has demonstrated this each of Brey's 17 years -Sadly!!!!
jzappitelli
I hope the administration opens some doors for Brey! The man deserves it!
irishbb
Whoever takes the GTown job will have the shadow of John Thompson over them.

Nike was paying much of JT 3 's salary.

Let's see if Patrick Ewing is offered the job and if he accepts it.

This job has been diminished in stature.
greatcraic
Great to have confirmation.

greatcraic
Why did Georgetown wait so long to fire JT3.

Most of the up and coming coaches, (Miller, Keates etc) have already been hired.
flanner
Brey is becoming more valuable every year. I hope his compensation keeps pace!
NDTerry
So the question becomes whether Mike Brey might have been able to get further concessions for his program from Notre Dame if he had pretended to have some interest in the Georgetown job.
irishkmg
greatcraic said:

Why did Georgetown wait so long to fire JT3.

Most of the up and coming coaches, (Miller, Keates etc) have already been hired.

Because a Thompson has been coaching there for the past 40 years.
murphjd
ndfamily65 said:

In the current moment, you are right. GTOWN is not ND or Texas. But the potential is greatest at GTOWN with Texas next and ND third. ND's administration has demonstrated this each of Brey's 17 years -Sadly!!!!
Disagree on both points. ND is now a better basketball program than Georgetown and is in the most visible basketball conference in the country. Texas is and will always be viewed as a football school. I'd say the same about ND, but Brey has built a solid program that is better than Texas' and is in a better, more well-publicized conference. Jack S. will come around with needed improvements now that Brey has shown an ability to be a consistent winner and tournament participant.
irishkmg
10 years ago... If I told you Butler would be a better program than Georgetown, would you believe me? And honestly, it is not even close.
jason4irish
Would be horrible for ND if they lose Brey. I hope JS is willing to give him whatever he wants.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.