Story Poster
Notre Dame Basketball

2024 Five-Star C James Brown High on Notre Dame, Updates Recruitment

April 15, 2022

2024 St. Rita (Ill.) center James Brown‍ is one of the country's best big men and the 6-foot-9, 210-pounder is looking to have a big offseason. 

"I've been working out every day with my trainers to get stronger," Brown told ISD. "I got started with the Meanstreets with the EYBL Session 1. We went 3-1, so we still have stuff to improve on. It's been a pretty productive offseason thus far. I'm just trying to get better in every single way I can." 

The Chicago native has several areas of his game he wants to work on, but Brown's primary focus will be expanding his game. 

"I would say I want to round out my overall game," explained Brown. "I know a lot of people say I'm mainly a post player and I'm a back-to-the-basket guy. I want to work on my jump shot and my versatility and defense without fouling." 

As it relates to Notre Dame, Brown was most recently in South Bend to watch the Irish take down Georgia Tech on Feb. 26th. 

"I thought it was great," stated Brown. "The environment and atmosphere were great. I love the coaching staff and Notre Dame is a great academic and athletic school. 

"I'm glad they've taken a liking to me and my family. I've enjoyed every trip I've made to South Bend." 

Anthony Solomon has led the Notre Dame charge, which has led to Brown knowing he can trust the Irish assistant for advice on and off the court.

"Coach Solomon's relationship with me and my family is really personal," Brown said. "I got to meet his wife and I've talked to him on numerous occasions. He's been a really good mentor for me, all recruiting things aside. He's really been someone I can call and tell him about a game and he's given great advice on what he thinks." 

Brown has also embraced being challenged by Solomon, which led to a big 2021-2022 season. 

"He told me I should start to set higher goals when it comes to my productivity in games," Brown explained. "He told me this season he expected me to average a double-double and that was something I was able to complete. The last time I talked to him, he was telling me instead of getting a double-double, I should get 20 and 20 a game. 

"I really enjoy my relationship with Coach Solomon and all the coaches at Notre Dame. They all have high goals for me and I can tell they want to push me to be the best version of myself on and off the court." 

The results speak for themselves through a simple challenge, but it's also something Brown and his family are looking for in a future coaching staff. 

"I see it as positive," stated Brown. "A lot of the coaches I've been talking to have told me I should set high expectations for myself. It's really important to me and my family to have someone who doesn't tell me how great and wonderful I am because, in reality, that's not going to help me get better or accomplish the goals I have set in life. 

"It's important when there is someone there who wants to push me." 

As for his recruitment, Brown is focused on the EYBL season and doesn't have any pressing visits he wants to make this spring. 

"There aren't any specific schools I want to get back to," said Brown. "Right now, my parents and I are talking to everyone and taking things really slow. We're getting to know everybody and giving everyone a fair shot. I don't really have any schools that I would want to get back to right away." 

A commitment is also not in the near future as Brown wants to take his time to focus on relationship building and researching what his top schools provide off the court. 

"If I had to put some sort of date on it, I would say sometime going into my senior year would be a time I could narrow things down a little more," said Brown. 

"My relationships with the coaches are important, but seeing beyond basketball and what the school can do for me academically. At some point, the ball does stop bouncing, so academics are important. Do the alumni help each other? We are looking a lot of things outside of basketball." 

Ranking
247: 94 (four-star)
Rivals: Four-Star
ESPN: N/R
Composite: 99.02 (five-star)

Offers: DePaul, Florida, Howard, Illinois, Iowa, LSU, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Providence, Western Illinois and Wisconsin 

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2021 Sideline Training Performance Long Sleeve T-Shirt

Discussion from...

2024 Five-Star C James Brown High on Notre Dame, Updates Recruitment

9,446 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mattfreeman
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.