Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | Pittsburgh at No. 5 Notre Dame

October 13, 2018

Pittsburgh at No. 5 Notre Dame

Notre Dame Stadium |2:30 p.m. ET | NBC

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth ChartSchedule | Staff Predictions | Visit List

Execution Required For Hungry Pitt

In each of the last two seasons in 2016 and 2017, Pittsburgh upset two top-15 opponents in Clemson and Miami. Full execution by Notre Dame will be required as they eye next week’s bye week.

Saturday will be Notre Dame’s 71st meeting with Pittsburgh. The Irish lead the overall series *47-21-1. Notre Dame won its last meeting 42-30 back in 2015. Head Coach Brian Kelly is *5-2 in his coaching career against the Panthers. He looks for his sixth victory over Pittsburgh.

The matchup to watch will be Notre Dame’s defense led by Te’von Coney, Drue Tranquill and Jerry Tillery that has let up just 19.5 points a game against Pittsburgh’s running attack that has racked up 203.8 yards per game led by senior running backs Qadree Ollison and Darrin Hall. The Irish defense is going to have to win in the trenches and rally to the ball with multiple bodies to the football to contain the Panthers lethal running attack. Ollison and Hall each surpassed 100 yards in Pittsburgh’s 44-37 win over Syracuse last week.

Offensively, Ian Book will make his fourth start of the season against Pittsburgh, and he will have to continue to progress. Book has connected with senior wide receiver Miles Boykin 19 times over the last two weeks so look for this connection to continue to grow. The Irish offense will look to be balanced as they have been since Book has been under center. Notre Dame has been successful through the air with Book hitting his big-bodied wideouts, but they have also been successfully running the football with the addition of Dexter Williams who has run for 339 yards and four touchdowns in the last couple games back from suspension.

Look for the Notre Dame offense to have another big game against Pittsburgh who let up 37 points to Syracuse last week. The Panthers will also be without their best defensive player, linebacker Quintin Wirginis who will miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury he sustained last week.

Five Players To Watch

Pitt RB Qadree Ollison
Pitt's lead back can run with power and has enough speed to damage the Irish if they are undisciplined. If Pitt is going to win this game, they need Ollison to have a monster performance like the one he had last week against Syracuse (192 yards).

Pitt DE Reshad Weaver
Pitt's secondary has struggled all season, and it would help them greatly if their pass rush helped them out. Weaver is the best pass rusher and might be their best run defender as well. 

Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool
Claypool could be matched up with a generously listed 5'10" cornerback for most of this game. If that's the case, then this could be a game where we see him targeted more than in recent weeks. Look for him to continue to dominate as a blocker on the perimeter as well.

Notre Dame DE Daelin Hayes
It sounds like Hayes is going to be a go for this matchup, even if he might not play as much as he usually would. The Irish need him healthy for the homestretch, and they are much better with their Dime package up front when he is a part of it.

Notre Dame LB Asmar Bilal
With Pitt being so run heavy on offense, it's going to be a game where Bilal is on the field even more than usual. With the way Pitt likes to run jet sweeps, he'll have some tackle for loss opportunities on the perimeter if he is doing his job well. 

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame LB Drue Tranquill:
“We can’t think about what it will be like to go on the road and play in a semi-final game and then for a championship. Those thoughts don’t lead you to winning during the week. Those distractions can lead you astray from the game plan, and you’re not as clean or as crisp on Saturday.” 

Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly:
"We just want to get to the bye week.  The bye week will give us time to rest these guys up. That’s really the time we’ll assess where we are. This is all hands on deck this week. We’re pushing them, and they’re pushing themselves. They’ve done a good job, and I’m pleased with our guys. No drama. 

“They know they have a break coming up after this Saturday. They have to play well on Saturday against a physical team.” 

Notre Dame DE Khalid Kareem:
“We can be even more dominant. We can clean up the messy mistakes. If we can fine tune everything, we can be elite.

"We believe in what our coaches have been telling us. We can be the best if we work hard and stay the course.” 

Countdown to Kickoff

10 - Notre Dame has won *eight of its last 10 meetings with Pittsburgh at Notre Dame Stadium, dating back to the 1989 season.

9 - Justin Yoon sits just nine field goals shy of breaking the Notre Dame career field goals record held by Kyle Brindza. Yoon has connected on 49 career field goals entering Saturday’s game against
Pittsburgh.

8 - Notre Dame has accounted for eight passing touchdowns over its past three games after combining for two touchdowns through the air over the first three games.

7 - Notre Dame was the seventh straight ranked team to defeat Virginia Tech at Lane Stadium with last Saturday’s 45-23 win in Blacksburg.

6 - Notre Dame accounted for a total of six rushing touchdowns during a 56-27 offensive onslaught at Wake Forest on Sept. 22. The Irish added six total touchdowns last week at Virginia Tech.

5 -  Notre Dame and Ohio State are the only undefeated teams remaining in the FBS that have each recorded five wins over teams from Power Five conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-12).

4 -  Notre Dame is one of just four remaining undefeated teams that has exclusively played FBS competition through six weeks of the season.

3 - Notre Dame is off to its third 6-0 start under head coach Brian Kelly in the last nine seasons (2012*, 2014 and 2018).

2 - Notre Dame is the only team in FBS football to earn two victories over opponents ranked in the national top 15 after six weeks (No. 7 Stanford, No. 14 Michigan).

1 - Justin Yoon became Notre Dame’s all-time leading scorer, surpassing Allen Pinkett and his 320 career points during last week’s game at Virginia Tech. Yoon has 322 career points entering Saturday.

Yoon Watch 

Justin Yoon broke Allen Pinkett's career scoring record at Notre Dame on Saturday but he has another record on the horizon.

Yoon (49) sits just nine career field goals shy of breaking the program record of 57 set by his predecessor Kyle Brindza in 2014.

For Your Nerves 

Game Thread | Pittsburgh at No. 5 Notre Dame

140,088 Views | 674 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fussydutchman1
Firefighter8196
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not playing real well and only down 7...trying to be positive...at least that's what my wife tells me
ndsean44
Book needs to get it together. Poor decisions have killed both drives, he needs to do better for his guys.
ohiondfan
TornisODaly said:

lol

the book on book is out

great

He made a bad pass, lets not over react.
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman
Staff
TornisODaly
ohiondfan said:

TornisODaly said:

lol

the book on book is out

great

He made a bad pass, lets not over react.
What, ND fans overreact? Nah!
IIO
ohiondfan said:

Everyone needs to chill out.....it's gonna be fine.
I agree. This is very typical of what I expected. It's going to take a while for the fear of their undefeated season disappearing to overcome the lethargy and for them to start playing. It happened to Ohio State this morning against Minnesota and Florida this morning against Vanderbilt... Both those teams woke up, hopefully ND will too.
mattfreeman
Staff
Book not looking comfortable in the pocket so far.
usma95
This first half has been about our inability to block and run. OL getting beat.
mattfreeman
Staff
Tony Jones Jr. in at RB
sscott43
Book totally rattled. ***
ndswim
I feel like we are back to week 2!
mattfreeman
Staff
Not sure why Book doesn't throw the ball away on those plays. Irish to punt
Firefighter8196
O line struggling
Frankbuz
We may need to see Wimbush
irishtank6900
He's got guys open. He's gun shy right now.

Better get it together very quickly.
mjhahn
Book is taking off way too soon. He still has a pocket to throw from.
Firefighter8196
Their defense is manhandling our O line
mattfreeman
Staff
Nice 48-yard punt by Tyler Newsome.

Pitt will start from its own 15.

Pitt 7
Notre Dame 0

10:04 | 2Q
ndsean44
What in the **** is going on? Jesus, three poor possessions and counting!
coachscott
I am not panicking or surprised. What I would like to see or hear is more acknowledgment that we spectacular as he has been this year that Ian Book is soft. I have concerns that if you hit him enough, he can't play the way we need him to. It hasn't been an offense issue thus far, it's been an Ian Book issue.
dunwoodyfan
There were two guys open on that play. Book didn't see one.
IIO
Ian Book needs to ****ing relax when he has a clean pocket. He's giving his offense absolutely no time to get open down field. They're getting jammed at the LOS Ian, it's going to take them a couple seconds to get open.

The kid is getting to back of his drop and bailing out of the pocket like 85 Bears are coming after him. He's done it four times already. You have a clean pocket Ian. Stand in, take a hit and make a throw kid.
sscott43
Book looks maverick after he lost goose. Get your head back in the game son.
tdirish
mattfreeman said:

Guy should be an expert on what makes a bad player
ndsean44
coachscott said:

I am not panicking or surprised. What I would like to see or hear is more acknowledgment that we spectacular as he has been this year that Ian Book is soft. I have concerns that if you hit him enough, he can't play the way we need him to. It hasn't been an offense issue thus far, it's been an Ian Book issue.
Up to this point, I would've agreed, but the blocking from the linemen and receivers have been awful. Pitt is all over the place and there's a guy ready to make a play each time. How do you let that happen against a defense this bad!?
coachscott
mjhahn said:

Book is taking off way too soon. He still has a pocket to throw from.

He has looked very soft all year. It's really costing us so far today in terms of him bailing on his progressions and fleeing the pocket and in his avoidance of contact he runs. Hope he adjusts.
Sgt Hulka
Mid-terms, being falsely accused of cheating, I can see where he might not be at his best.
IIO
He did the same thing last week at Virginia Tech and it took him until the third quarter to settle down. That can't keep happening.
IIO
tdirish said:

mattfreeman said:

Guy should be an expert on what makes a bad player
He is, but it doesn't mean he's wrong.
SDIrish01
mattfreeman said:

How bad of a player do you have to be to not beat out Tommy Rees at QB
mattfreeman
Staff
Refs call a holding call against a Notre Dame opponent!

theoriginalndmom
Pitt uniforms are really yellow....no likey
coachscott
ndsean44 said:

coachscott said:

Up to this point, I would've agreed, but the blocking from the linemen and receivers have been awful. Pitt is all over the place and there's a guy ready to make a play each time. How do you let that happen against a defense this bad!?

I agree with your comments about Pitt. But I'd say it's been inconsistent and mostly mediocre, whereas Book has been bad so far. Semantics. Offense isn't working. Play calls don't really matter at this point; need to execute much better.
TornisODaly
Of course, ND fan Pit QB is going to spoil ND's season. The season writes itself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.