Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | No. 9 Notre Dame at Louisville

September 2, 2019

No. 9 Notre Dame at Louisville 

Cardinal Stadium |8:00 p.m. ET | ESPN

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth ChartSchedule |Staff Predictions

And So it Begins 

It’s here. Notre Dame had to wait a few extra days, but football season is officially here for the Fighting Irish. First-year Louisville head coach Scott Satterfield will make his debut and he’ll likely have his hands full on Monday night as the Irish enter the game as the far superior team. 

Louisville has 18 players who started at least five games last season, so the Cardinals are experienced, but it is the same players who gave up in the middle of the 2018 season. 

Notre Dame simply needs to execute and stay out of their own way to leave Louisville with a victory. If the Irish can build good habits, it would be a positive as Notre Dame is looking to get back to the College Football Playoff. 

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool
He had a dominant fall camp after a terrific spring. Now we get to see if it translates to the games. Look for him to win consistently on the 50/50 balls. He should have a big day on his way to a monster senior season.

Louisville LB Rodjay Burns
Burns started nine games at cornerback last season, but struggled like most players on Louisville's defense did. He moved to linebacker and is playing their version of the Rover. Can he cover a slot like Lawrence Keys? Expect to see Burns blitzing quite a bit.

Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton
How much will Hamilton play? We don't know, but everyone is excited to find out. No one will be shocked if he ends up making an impact play or two even if he's only sees limited action in his first action in college football.

Louisville WR Tutu Atwell
The smallest player on Louisville's roster is probably the fastest. If they are going to have a chance in this matchup, they need someone like Atwell to produce an explosive play. 

Notre Dame LB Drew White
All eyes will be on the linebacker position and White in his first start. He has big shoes to fill at Mike linebacker and must play well to keep his spot. It will be interesting to see how many snaps he plays compared to others who will play at inside linebacker.

By The Numbers 

1 - Notre Dame will be playing its first game ever on Labor Day Monday.

2 - Monday will be the second meeting between Notre Dame and Louisville. 

11 - Notre Dame has won 11 consecutive games at Notre Dame Stadium. It's the third-longest winning streak at home for the Irish since the stadium opened in 1930. 

77 - Notre Dame 13-4 (.765) all-time in season-opening prime time games.

200 - Notre Dame is the only FBS program with three different 200-yard rushers in the last two seasons. 

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame QB Ian Book:
“I feel like every game at Notre Dame is a statement game. We have a big target on our back. There are a lot of haters and doubters. There is a lot of talk about not being in a conference and winning every game.

“We know that. We try to treat every game like a playoff game. We definitely want to go 1-0. That’s what we’re thinking about and focused on.”

Notre Dame S Alohi Gilman:
“We’re not sitting back on Monday night. This game doesn’t have to be close.”

Notre Dame DE Khalid Kareem:
“We were right there. We tasted it. We were a game away from a National Championship. We’re hungry and ready. This group of guys is a very talented group of people. We can go out and show the world what we can do.” 

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly:
“I'll just leave it at this. One guy that we haven't talked much about, and I will just say that he's had his best camp since he's been here is Daelin Hayes. I think that says a lot about what we can do when we haven't talked about a guy like that.”

For Your Nerves 

Game Thread | No. 9 Notre Dame at Louisville

121,204 Views | 775 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ndbet
Sec26Row30
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just when they were playing up white.....
Formerly sec26row44, before that sec25row45... not happy till I'm moving further North and watching the game from the library......
blairkiel
sec25row45 said:

Just when they were playing up white.....

Me too
ndsean44
UL is 6/12 on 3rd downs.

ND is 2/8.

That is absolutely unacceptable.

Woodynd22
This one is going to get really scary if Louisville scores on this drive. Why can't ND just put a team away when they need too.
mattfreeman
Staff
tvanp63
All I wanted was a relaxing easy win. What was I thinking. This is Ball St, VanDerBilt & Pitt all over.
bmhend54
Linebacker play will be the cause of much distress this season. At this point just sit Bilal. His ceiling is just not high. Rather let one of the younger guys play and grow.
BLG
Ville is going in here. After that we have to answer. Bad feelings creeping in here, we have had numerous breaks several key stops on D, but now it's 4th quarter time. And this is one weird game.

BLG
Woodynd22
tvanp63 said:

All I wanted was a relaxing easy win. What was I thinking. This is Ball St, VanDerBilt & Pitt all over.

Kelly loves him some tights gamed lol
mattfreeman
Staff
Trickery!
ndsean44
Why can't we have nice things for once.

I'm tired of these unnecessarily tight games.
mattfreeman
Staff
Brian Kelly is 50-9 at Notre Dame when leading after three quarters.
BLG
bmhend54 said:

Linebacker play will be the cause of much distress this season. At this point just sit Bilal. His ceiling is just not high. Rather let one of the younger guys play and grow.
D played much better with Simon in.
ndsean44
I don't want to even have to imagine the number of missed tackles so far.

We have to be reaching 20.
mattfreeman
Staff
Louisville hits a 42-yard FG.

Notre Dame 28
Louisville 17

13:25 | 4Q
ndsean44
Hey offense, remember that drive where Book was crisp and receivers were getting open and catching it in stride?

Can we go back to doing that please?
usma95
Weird play call down 14. I will take it. Put it away now offense. One big drive!
bombbomb
It's the safe call since ND has had issues putting together drives.
lake erie irish
If we were playing a better team tonight we'd really be in trouble.
mattfreeman
Staff
58,187 is the attendance for tonighta Louisville record and empty seats everywhere.
SWANSEA
WE need to get those points back.
ohiondfan
Still feels like we shouldn't have lost 9x while heading into the 4th with a lead.

mattfreeman said:

Brian Kelly is 50-9 at Notre Dame when leading after three quarters.
araholtz
ND must respond
mavscoach
Watching the offense tonight is like being on a roller coaster ride. Just wish we could put a team away
ndsean44
Can we please go back to drive 1 level offense? Please?
mattfreeman
Staff
Book throws it away....but no one was open but Keys and that would have been a 75-yard throw.
ndsean44
I....I just....I dunno.

What is this offense right now?
mattfreeman
Staff
Tommy Tremble.

Firefighter8196
Man this play calling is killing me
blairkiel
tremble has already eclipsed Alize Mack
IRISHLOYAL
Hello Tommy Tremble. Best part of this game. Kid is a player
ndsean44
Why are we going to the sideline with Jones?
REMND
Book has run the ball 13 times so far.
mattfreeman
Staff
Lawrence Keys III.

BALLER.
SHAMROCK
Keys - what a catch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.